Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

What To Call Your Stoma

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Posted by mooza, on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 pm
Very Happy  Mad  i found a site a few years back it was all about what people called their stomas and why was quite funny you might need to google it or use another search engine  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Some of the names really did descibe some great names example:  one person called the stoma the volcano Very Happy because you never know when it will erupt lol GOODLUCK  CHEERS MOOZA Mr. Green might  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Laughing  Laughing  Cool  Cool  Idea find a name with a funny meaning

Reply by bostomy, on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:40 pm
Hi mooza and friend:

cya bostomy

Last edited by bostomy on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 pm
Hi Mooza,
Have never felt the urge to name my stoma, its a bit late now as I have had it over 30 years.
I suppose the nearest it gets to a name is when I say " that damned thing"!!! thats when I get a leak in bed or when it spurts out when i am changing the  damned thing and I make a mess in the bathroom.
But yes I read on another site that many people do name it.
Poppy

Reply by curly-pussycat, on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:52 pm
Hi All,
I had my stoma made as an emergency December 2006.  It was Christmas and there was no stoma nurse around until the 27th December, so the ward sister suggested I named my stoma to help me come to terms with it.
After thinking long and hard, I came up with 'Winnie' (Winnie the Poo), was a bit of a joke at first but just seemed to stick Laughing
I know most people don't name their stomas at all and never have the urge to even if it was suggested.  For me it helped a lot at a time of emotional distress, I was going through a divorce at the same time too!
Have to say, Winnie is far more reliable than any man I've ever known, lol  Smile

Reply by livinglaughingloving, on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:25 pm
I named mine FRED.  He is usually a friend, sometimes he embarasses me and sometimes he stinks (typical guy!).  Fred and I will be together for the rest of my life so we get along.

Reply by tarababy, on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 pm
Hi Folks, yes I was told the same thing while in hospital...name it as it helps with the acceptance of it.So I named him Stanley.No idea why.But my mates were getting confused when I would talk about any of it...so I named them individually...."Stanley the stoma"...."Billy the bag"... "Wally the wafer".Amazingly it helped, in more ways than one.So I agree with curly-pussycat,(cute name by the way) It does help those that need it.Have a great day folks.  Cool

Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:27 pm
My stoma does not have a name, but when the time comes to change or drain I sometimes mention that I have to attend to the " Inflight refuelling System"

Reply by mountainbikeman, on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm
This is my first post here but here goes anyway, had my ileo since the summer of 1994 and has always been called Stumpy, as in it looks like a tree stump, no names for the the other bits though....yet. Laughing

Reply by clone132, on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am
I nicknamed my stoma "Pedro" but have no real idea why.  The idea of naming the stoma helped distinguish my 'controllable' functions from the involuntary ones.  I suppose its called therapeutic disassociation or something clever like that.   When a name could be offensive to someone my stoma is just usually my "friend".  

The complicated things that lead to a stoma have already happened, so its just time to settle in and make the best of it.  If folks can name a car, then my stoma can have its own name too. Smile

Reply by helenwells85, on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:19 pm
i ave a stoma and i called it sidney as it was easier to swear at it with a name and is easy to chat about in public with out people knowing you have a stoma

Reply by annie_nu2, on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 pm
I guess I just call mine Dammit, cause I say that a lot when I am addressing it. Like after it pooped on my shoe when I was trying to change the wafer. Annie

Reply by weewee, on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm
how do you name something that has no control of fart sounds and the warm feeling you get afterwards? if i had to really think of it poojuice would com to mind for that is one of my toons on world of warcraft

Reply by cokacoil, on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm
I'm an urostomate & have nicknamed mine POB (Pee On Belly) & also there was a wee childrens character of the same name with black hair & stripey jumper, big fat cheeks who used to spit on glass & write things! the things you remember from being a kid ...

Reply by Quietdreamer28, on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm
I named mine Roma Izzy Puttin (RIP). I just refer to her as Roma though. RIP (like let one rip) seems appropriate being she liked to talk when she first came into the world, still does just not as much. She also kinda looks like a Roma tomato. I also like that the name because "Roma the stoma" has a nice flow to it.

Reply by The Bag, on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 pm
oh this is just too much. when the e.t. nurse came in a few days after the op. to help me with a more appropriate system i hit her with name Junior or sometime "My Meatball" she laughed and said it was so normal that we all ( ostomates ) do that. other times if i havent timed coffee & breakfast right for change day or a leak i call him THE S&*T.
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.