Preventing Nighttime Mishaps for a Better Morning

Replies
Views
leoluckygirl

Yes, it does get frustrating. I had a few times happen at work where I had to come home, but I learned since I don't live far from work, I come home, clean up, and get back on my feet! I still have trouble being with another man yet, but I am getting there! I am back out dating again, but I won't be with someone until I know I am sure! I am trying to get the right products!

Take care,

Bon

Frenchie55

Hi, thanks for the advice. I may just start eating the marshmallow but that would be before I eat, right? I am separated so the alarm doesn't wake anybody up but me so I think I am going to start setting it. I like you, whenever I awake, the first instinct is to feel the bag to see if it's full.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Redneck Cowgirl
Mamas Got a New Bag,

This is my first time in this part of this site. My question is, what is a recast of your stoma and what is it for? I had my ileostomy 1 year 9 months ago. I had to have it because I have what is called FAP, which is inherited from a parent. It causes the large intestine to get polyps and they turn cancerous. I had all but 6 inches of my large intestine taken out in 1975 and got by with yearly exams until July of 2009 when I was late for an exam. I also have had since 2001 a rare bladder disease called Interstitial Cystitis (it is like a permanent UTI). This makes me go to the bathroom at night at least every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the night, so I haven't had any time where my pouch has gotten too full. I am on pain medications for it and will be for the rest of my life for the bladder problem.

I hope to hear back from you.

Redneck Cowgirl

(Sandy)
Past Member

I have a jejunostomy, they are high output ostomies, on a good day it needs emptying every hour, luckily I'm a bad sleeper so don't have too many accidents at night. I always wear an ostomy support belt at night, it gives your flange a bit more support.

Hi Redneck Cowgirl, nice to see someone else on here with FAP, I had my ileo for FAP in 1989.

Frenchie55

Hi Redneck,
Sorry, I can't help you with your question regarding a recast of a stoma. I have not heard of that but there may be some that can help you. I suppose it's not good that you have to be up so often but it does save you from a lot of grief regarding the bag filling up. Chat later.

Janice

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
beatrice

Ps - just want to add - re the alarm --

I don't have Big Ben next to my hubby and me - LOL.

I found a small travel alarm (smaller than a cigarette package) that is meant to be close to one person. It's loud enough that I hear it but hubby doesn't move a muscle. Some are even meant to be tucked under the sleeper's pillow.

Now ... what did wake hubby up was me having to change the sheets.

It really has changed my whole feeling about the night. Suggest that anyone having regular mishaps at night give it a try.

andsoitis

Dating for two years, I haven't had any desire to date... wish I did!

socalileo
Hello all! I am a new member to this site but have been reading posts for several months now. When I read Florrie's post, I just had to get in here and start participating.

I had my one-year anniversary of my ileostomy on March 8th. I almost made it to the one-year mark without a nighttime mishap.....almost. On March 3rd, I woke up to the alarm at 4:30 a.m. I couldn't quite understand why my whole right side of my jammies were wet and sticky. My output had been a little more liquidy than usual for the past week or so. As I'm standing in the bathroom looking in the mirror, I finally realize that my bag had come off and I had "output" literally dropping to my bathroom floor (like cow piles!). I keep puppy pads on hand for when I change my bag. I began grabbing those and throwing them on the bathroom floor, layer upon layer upon layer (you get the idea) as I'm still standing there trying to figure out what to do and that output is really putting out. It's not that I didn't know this would eventually happen, but I wasn't quite awake and hadn't really thought through how I would handle it when this accident did happen. I'm sure if there had been a video camera on me, it would have been hilarious to watch. My brain finally kicked in, and I grabbed a trash bag, stepped into the shower, stripped down, and threw everything in the trash bag. I got cleaned up and put a new bag on. I don't know how long I stood there trying to figure out what to do, but it was now 6:00 a.m. Then I had to start cleaning up everything else besides me: the bathroom floor, sink counter, cabinets, shower, etc. Of course, all the bedding had to be washed, and I had to throw away a pillow. I don't care what they say, you can't wash pillows - they just don't come out the same. Thank God for waterproof mattress pads or I would have been out buying a new bed that day.

I can laugh at it now. I'm sure it was a sight to see. Hopefully, I will be better prepared for the next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time) and not stand there looking at my silly self in the mirror trying to figure out what to do.

Thank you, Florrie, for sharing your story and letting me know I wasn't the only one experiencing an accident that week.

I know this website will be of great help to me, and hopefully, I will be able to help others as well.
beatrice

You have helped someone I'm sure just by describing that night.
Socalileo! And with humor -- which is so important.

I remember a few nights like that myself.

And once at night -- when the alarm went off -- and yes, I had to empty. So I got up, sat on the toilet ... and emptied the contents onto the floor in front of me. Obviously not quite awake - LOL.

But in the end ... it's just poo. I've been feeling down lately ... now seeing what's happening in Japan ... a little poo on the floor ... not really an issue.

All the best,

Bea

socalileo

Bea,
You are so right. With all of the things going on in Japan, a little poo to clean up is nothing. Even if you do have to take all day cleaning/sanitizing and washing bedding. At least I have hot and cold running water, electricity, bedding to wash and a washer and dryer to do it in. I thank God for that. Those poor people have none of the above for who knows how long. Very sad. I do live in "earthquake land" so it could be me in that situation some day.

But, for now, it's not and I take one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time) and get through. It's hard not to have those times of feeling down. Actually, I think it's quite normal and take those times as they come. I wallow for a little while and then pull myself out of it whichever way I can.

As a final thought, I have learned in my 50-something years that you HAVE to have humor to get through life. Sometimes that humor is hard to find and I have to really dig far to find it. But, eventually I get there and life goes on.

I hope you are feeling better.

socalileo

badger

I've had a few night mishaps that have caused me to change and wash the sheets right then and there, but for whatever reason, I've had the experience that others have described of waking on my own when my colostomy bag is full.

Also, I wear one of those belly bands that pregnant women wear. They keep the outlines of the bag hidden under your clothes, and for me, they eliminate about 90% of the farting noises. They also act as a barrier between your appliance system and your clothes/bedding. I own about four of these now and they've been a game changer for me.

Doug

mizconfuzion82

We all deal with nighttime accidents/messes from time to time. However, I've found a few tricks that are very helpful! First and most importantly, grab a couple of those hospital butt pads to take home and sleep on top of them (luckily I snagged a few during my last stay). This saves you from changing all of the sheets, just simply remove the pad and change your bag and back to bed! Secondly, I take a few pills of Imodium before bed every night which helps the liquid stools and/or if I've eaten a bit much, slows everything down. Best of luck!

Jeanniejayne

It would be helpful to know what type of ostomy you have when talking about problems.

Ileostomies and urostomies are notorious for these nighttime accidents, but urostomates can use overnight drainage.

IMHO, anyone with an ileostomy should be using a convex appliance and a belt.

If you wear a two-piece unit you could try a bigger bag at night, or one with a gas outlet. I know these can get clogged with stool, though, and don't always work. But might be worth a try. Someone makes a valve similar to the ones on inflatable swim toys, that can be put on any pouch and used to empty gas during the night -- easier than opening a flange if it is only gas.

And eating a few marshmallows can thicken ileostomy output without causing a blockage. Don't ask how this works -- I have been told by many an ileostomate that it just does!

Jeanniejayne

Forgot to say, use of a deodorant in your pouch can make you much more confident about what happens if an accident occurs. M9 drops are great, and there are others. Well worth the trouble, but you have to put a few drops in every time you empty your pouch. Also, a couple of drops of baby oil in your pouch can help with "caking" if your output is thick and hard to empty.

Past Member

I must have been very lucky, only had two in three years (probably have one tonight after saying that), but I always change the bag last thing before bed. But somehow, I naturally wake up about 5am and empty it. Guess I have been lucky.

tragicallydave

All the time.
I toss and turn. My night drainage bag will be wrapped around me a few times when I wake up. It's the worst when you fall asleep on the couch or something in your clothes.
Can't count the times I've woken up to a huge load of new laundry.
Get absorbent mats, like they use in hospitals, disposable or washable from the ostomy store.
Learn to like sleeping alone.
And of course,
Don't forget to bring a towel.

Past Member

Make sure you don't get any lubrication right by where you put the flange or else it will not stick securely and you will have leaks all the time. I hope that helps.

cherylem

I have had more than 5 mishaps during the night with my boyfriend next to me. It's so embarrassing. I am glad he is understanding and willing to get up in the middle of the night to change the lining. I found out that if I eat my last meal after six, my bag gets too full while I am sleeping, so now I eat a lot earlier because I sleep too well during the night and don't get up to use the bathroom. Sometimes I have laid on my right side and my bag busted...yes, waking up to a mess isn't a pretty picture.

Xerxes

Cherylem,

Yes, that is disheartening. I have found that sleeping on your right side is a risk. It almost seems inevitable. Obviously, it is a result of your body pressure on the appliance, so using a high output appliance will not help. I think over time, you will become used to sleeping on your back or left side. I know how you feel, but even worse, it happened to me twice in a hotel bed on separate occasions. This was very hard to explain. I still have nightmares over those spills.

X_

cherylem

I am traveling a lot this month to meet my boyfriend's family. Some of the trips will be a 14-hour drive. I am really worried again about traveling and staying at his family's place because of the problems I have with the ostomy. I suggested a motel and he agreed, but I'm still worried about my seal leaking again. We were having dinner in the restaurant with some friends and family when my seal started leaking. I could feel my face turn hot and my heart beating fast in my throat. I didn't know what to say and was so scared to get up to go to the bathroom. I leaned over to my boyfriend and whispered, "I had an accident and need to get home now." He looked stunned and told our company we had a little problem and that we would be back within a half hour. Needless to say, I left my supplies at home thinking I didn't need to bring one to the restaurant. This is the most embarrassing thing to have happen, especially with your clothes messed up. Thank God I had a big old handbag to cover the front of me. Lately, my Convatec seals have been coming undone. I don't know if it's due to the heat or what. I do know that when this happens, I can feel the heat coming from my ostomy.

cherylem

I am traveling a lot this month to meet my boyfriend's family. Some of the trips will be a 14-hour drive. I am really worried about traveling and staying at his family's place because of the problems I have with the ostomy. I suggested a motel and he agreed, but I'm still worried about my seal leaking again. We were having dinner in the restaurant with some friends and family when my seal started leaking. I could feel my face turn hot and my heart beating fast in my throat. I didn't know what to say and was so scared to get up to go to the bathroom. I leaned over to my boyfriend and whispered, "I had an accident and need to get home now." He looked stunned and told our company that we had a little problem and we would be back within a half hour. Needless to say, I left my supplies at home thinking I didn't need to bring one to the restaurant. This is the most embarrassing thing to have happen, especially with your clothes messed up. Thank God I had a big old handbag to cover the front of me. Lately, my Convatec seals have been coming undone. I don't know if it's due to the heat or what. I do know that when this happens, I can feel the heat coming from my ostomy.

Xerxes

Cherylem,

Do you use Stomahesive or Durahesive? I used Stomahesive for years and encountered the same fear and frustration that you are describing. About two years ago, I switched to Durahesive and I found it to be a world of difference. I heat it with a hair dryer before applying. It lasts for up to five days. Before, with the Stomahesive, I was lucky to get two days out of a wafer. More importantly, I have had only two leaks in two years and, of course, my anxiety and fear have disappeared.

X_

beatrice
So sorry this happened to you at the restaurant. My mishaps have always been at home or at night... and I can usually/always identify what went wrong. Excessive heat, pancaking, laying on pouch.

A couple of things I would suggest: The convex wafer (that has made a big difference). After applying a fresh wafer/pouch, use a Sure Seal Ring. I always use them for swimming... but they give a great extra seal at anytime. If you are worried about leaking at night, have one of those bedpads with you (like they use at the hospital) and you can even put paper towels in your underwear, wrap at the bottom of the pouch, all around your appliance. Yes, it doesn't look too great, but if something starts to go wrong, you are getting some absorption. I take that precaution now at night when I've eaten something that I know causes problems/pancaking.

And never leave home without your 'care package'

Regarding the 14 car trip... will there be places to 'stop for a drop'? If not, I carry a large jar (wrapped with plastic - just makes it a bit more aesthetically pleasing - LOL), paper towels, plastic bag, wipes. Just in case I have to empty on the go and there are no washrooms around. It's a bit clumsy, but it works. Have this with me for hiking too.

All the best and I hope you can relax a bit and enjoy your trip and meeting your boyfriend's parents. I think renting someplace closeby is a good idea... you have to get your confidence about travelling. If this helps, it is definitely the way to go.
Margy

I use a Natura Durahesive moldable convex skin barrier with flange by Convatec. A little more expensive but well worth it!! I have never had leakage and I just change every week unless I forget. Just wash, rinse, dry (hair dryer on low), and put on. No cutting to fit as it molds to the stoma. I use closed bags so I carry zip lock bags to put the used ones in. Really easy traveling. I have never had a bag break or leak with this set up either. The Convatec company is extremely helpful and will send a big starter kit with lots of different options. The number is: 1 800 422 8811 and no, I don't work for them!! I just came out of surgery with all kinds of flanges and bags that didn't work!!!

cherylem

Hi Margy
Yes, I use the Convatec moldable... I've had a lot of luck with it until recently. The seal works loose at times, like it got wet or something... At the sides or bottom, it comes loose. I don't know if it is from the body heat or what... I do like these. And this is to Xerxex... I have used the Durahesive and it had broken my skin out bad, so I had to switch to the Convatec moldable. Like I stated, they worked great for 7 days at a time until recently. I had used Coloplast in the past and they broke me out. I may have to see a doctor soon, thinking I put on 8 lbs and this could be the problem... I was at 140 and now I'm at 148. Or I may be eating more of an acidic type food. I've noticed my food makes my stoma burn sometimes. When I eat any type of beef, this happens, and when I drink orange juice or eggs. The apple juice seems fine. I never had this problem the last year with this type of food or drink.

lovetodecorate

I have been very lucky, but in saying that, I irrigate before I go to bed. So far, after 5 1/2 years, no mess in bed ever.... Irrigation is something they do not teach in America, I found out, and if it had not been for another website, I would not have learned about irrigation.... It saved my sanity.

leoluckygirl
Well, I am back. I have advice. It is hard to date someone with the same disease. Make sure that person is right before you make the move.... I posted on March 6, 11. I was dating a few guys in Ohio, but met someone on Facebook and we hit it off, so I moved to Boston... Well, sad note, we are so broken up that "broken up" does not touch how our breakup went... I think sometimes if you are with the same person with the same problems, you both want and need the medical attention, so be prepared! It is a horrible ending.

Sad in Boston now....
Past Member

I have blow-outs at night, mainly due to me rolling over. I now use a body pillow between my legs, and that curtails me from rolling over. I hope this helps you out.