Gas coming from stoma at the wrong time,

In this discussion
Replies
Views
raylewis2010
ANYONE KNOW OF ANYTHING TO TAKE FOR GAS. VERY EMBARRASSING FOR SOMEONE TO HEAR IT COME OUT IN PLACES LIKE AN ELEVATOR, QUIET ROOM FILLED WITH PEOPLE, EMBARRASSING!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

nessy
Some people put "beano" in their food while cooking it.
I had to laugh yesterday, sitting at a lunch table with a group of Army cadets, when I blew a good one all the kids look around , and are unsure what to say ?? So I piped up, Hey who was that ? followed by a long silence, then one of the mothers piped up "That was me ! which defused the situation.
Cheers Bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pinky
Yes - BEANO - it works! I chew 2-3 tablets prior to any good sized meal and even if I forget - like today - and start getting "gassy" I take it after the fact, and things quiet right down! It used to come in drops as well (to put in your food), but I haven't seen those for years - at least not in the usual SoCal stores.
nessy
Thanks Pinky, I'll look for the tablets, I've only seen the drops, but that was a long time ago.
Cheers Bob
Primeboy
Ray, it doesn't have to be embarrassing in a crowded situation. Not at all. Here's the trick. When it happens, just quickly look to guy next to you and ask out loud, "Say, what did you have for lunch?" Works all the time.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Xerxes
Ray,

Well, usually, but not always I can feel the pressure mounting near the stoma and I brace for the "big bang." What I have done in close quarters is to put pressure with my hand right on the stoma. It does not stop the explosion from coming, but it does deaden the sound. I have used this successfully when at meetings where I am sitting for a long time and there are ppl sitting practically on my lap. Although I have not tried it, I believe I read on this site that eating a marshmallow is effective against a blow out.

X_
raylewis2010
I HAVE TO HAND IT TO YOU MY FRIEND. I WOULD HAVE FELT LIKE A TINY ANT.
I WOULD HAVE FELT TRIPLE EMBARRASSMENT. JUST LIKE I DID AT THE BANK THE OTHER DAY. THE TELLER TOOK ME IN THE VOLT WHERE I HAVE A SAFE DEPOSIT BOX IT WAS SO SILENT YOU COULD HEAR A MOUSE RUN ACROSS THE CARPET. I LET OUT A SMALL HORN BEEP. BUT IT WAS SO LOUD CAUSE THE ROOM WAS SO SILENT. I AM GOING TO QVC PHARMACY TOMMOROW TO GET BEANO AND GIVE IT A TRY. THANKS FOR RESPONSE IT MADE ME FEEL NOT SO ALONE IN MY PROBLEM.
raylewis2010
THANKS FOR THE INCOURAGING WORDS. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN VERY OFTEN BUT WHEN IT DOES MY GOD I FEEL SO SMALL. OF COURSE THE PERSON THAT HEARS IT DOES NOT KNOW THAT I HAVE STOMA. TO THE AVERAGE PERSON IT SOUNDS LOKE I PASSED GAS.
ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK OF THAT AS DISCUSTING. EVERYONE PASSES GAS BUT OTS ALL ABOUT DOING IT WHEN NOBODY ELSE IS AROUND. I HATE IT SO MUCH THAT I HAVE VERY LITTLE CONTROL OF WHEN IT COMES OUT. I WILL GO TO DRUG STORE TOMMOROW AN TRY BEANO.
THANK YOU......
raylewis2010
OK THANKS FOR RESPONSE I APPRECIATE THE ENCOURAGING WORDS.......
raylewis2010
YES YOU ARE RIGHT IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EMBARRASSING BUT IN REALITY IT IS.
I MEAN, WHAT ADULT LETS OUT A FART IN PUBLIC IN FRONT OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
BELIEVE ME YOU ARE THE TALK OF THE TOWN FOR A SHORT WHILE THEN PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT IT AFYER A WHILE. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGING WORDS.
Past Member

Brings to mind an old african saying about a man who was ostracised in his community, and when a traveller asked why, the reply was quot;he is the great great grandson of a man who passed wind quot;! nbsp; nbsp;

But honestly, it may be because of my Australian upbringing, but in my family to let one rip was cause of great hilarity and entertainment and certainly nothing to be embarrassed about! nbsp; nbsp;In fact my father and brother both lift their legs to do so, and seem quite proud of their eruptions. nbsp; nbsp;Fortunately I have no need to do the same! nbsp; nbsp;And I have a friend whose husband delights in farting in public and blaming her for it!

Courtesy of my Dad are the expressions:- nbsp; nbsp; quot;Organ arse quot; or quot;Speak to me Oh chocolate lips quot;

and of course there are those old sayings:- nbsp; nbsp; quotThere is no point in having an arse if you can't let it rejoice in song! quot; nbsp; nbsp;

or:- nbsp; nbsp; quot;Better to fart and bear the shame, than hold the fart and bear the pain! quot;

So many jokes, so little time...but then perhaps I am in the wrong section!

Cheers!
Jo
Past Member
Beano DOES work! But if I do still have an outburst, I am usually honest about it and say," Oh, my colostomy is just acting up again. So sorry about that." The person closest will shut right up either because they have no idea what a colostomy is or they are too embarrassed themselves to inquire. Subject closed. Good luck!
Pinky
I like your solution, Mama - I've been in class when (early on) my colostomy would start to toot a bit. I writhed and held my hand over it, etc., etc. Now these are public health classes, so I SHOULD have felt comfortable just stating what the problem was! Except I'm usually the oldest person in the class, and the 20-somethings probably just think I'm like the little old lady in the library who can't keep it quiet!
Mystified

Chew Beano? nbsp; nbsp;I take a pill when I can't get my bag to shut up. nbsp; nbsp;It has been grumbling all week. nbsp; nbsp;My God...I never had so much gas!!

Barbie
Primeboy
What a great post, Jo. Thanks. I needed a good laugh. One lesson I take away from this topic is that God must have an incredible sense of humor because He fashioned our bodies to pass gas. This bit of His mischief keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously. Ray, I am sorry my comments don't address your need for a solution, but I know you already got some good advice (Beano) in earlier posts. I just think it's important to see a little stomach noise for just that. If you can handle this embarrassing inconvenience well, maybe someday , your great, great grandson might be proud of your symphonic stoma.
Past Member
Hi There, BEANO didn't work great for me, I could only get tablets --can't find the liquid anywhere. I did also try Ovol 180 and Extra Stregth Gass-X. All will help but I think it is try different things and also depends on what you have eaten.
Since I had my ileostomy reversed, I still have a lot of gas and just recently found a product on the internet and it seems to work best for me. It is call Devrom. Last week-end I checked at the store that sells all the ostomy supplies in my area, and they just started carrying it in October 2010 and say they can't keep in stock. It seems to help the gas altho is is sold as an internal deodorant.

Good luck --lots of info on this site.
Past Member
Well, how about this one! Having several blasts during silent meditation in Buddha class!!! Yeppers, happened to me-total embarassing moment!!!!
yda.rodulfo

I am 2 weeks into having a permanent colostomy, passing gas has been truly challenging. Surgeon says it will become less frequent when my GI system normalizes after surgery. I would like to try Beano but it is not available locally so it's quite pricey over here if I order online.