Urge to Defecate After Hartmann's Procedure

Replies
Views
RichardBonsall
Hi
I had a Hartmann's procedure just over 3 weeks ago due to an infection in diverticula. I keep getting the urge to go to the toilet in the usual way but am concerned that if I do, it will hurt. I've been told it is possible to pass something in the early days. Does anyone have any experience of this?
KennyT

I did Richard and I am tipping plenty of people do post-op. I had times when I would sit on the toilet and pass just mucus, but this is nothing to worry about. These urges should reduce over time, but there will be periods when the feeling to use the toilet is a bit overwhelming.

Good luck.
Ken

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

RichardBonsall

Thanks Ken, I may give it a try. I'm a bit concerned it will hurt though. I'm suspecting it's not helped by the fact that I started smoking again, which I know in the past always stimulated the urge to go.

terry29

Hi Richard, I also had a Hartmann's procedure last May, and it is normal to still pass stools or mucus after surgery. I have now had my reversal 6 weeks ago, and I am doing well. X

Xerxes

Richard,

It is more likely than not that you will experience the urge to "go" indefinitely after this surgery. As KT says, the frequency lessens, however, over time. Most often, I will pass mucus. However, sometimes I get a strong urge but nothing passes. It is hard to explain other than a periodic spasm of the lower bowel or what's left of it. I would not be too alarmed at this point. Best.

X_

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
budd002

I had the urge right up until I had my colon removed. It's normal as I was told. Yes, there is a small amount of mucus buildup that can accumulate and it has to go somewhere. Even though I KNEW in my mind I didn't NEED to "go," I would simply grab my word search book and sit and let nature do its thing without forcing anything. I noticed the discharge was a gray color and had a "musty" smell to it. Now maybe I'm losing my mind...

Pinky

Yup, same here as everyone else has been saying. I get radiation-induced proctitis too (inflammation), so I use Anusol cortisone suppositories at times when I can no longer stand the feeling. Others use Cortofoam or Proctofoam - if they are lucky enough to live in an NHS country - here in the US, it is prohibitively expensive, whereas the suppositories are dirt cheap.

llanotexbill

You are not losing your mind. It seems to happen about every couple of months now. It is grayish in color and for me at least, it hurts something awful when it is time for this to happen.

francisg2081

This happened to me too. Didn't hurt. Used a Fleet Enema too.

Past Member

I go to the toilet every few days. At first, it will be capsule-sized, and eventually, little mucus drops. This only means your colon is still working, and this is a great sign if you have a takedown surgery planned in the future.

Past Member

I forgot to add... It feels like a normal bowel movement.