What I have learned from my dog!

Replies
Views
J.J.
Good morning all!..This was sent to me by my best friend years ago!..I thought it would bring a smile to all of your beautiful faces...especially the pet lovers on the site!..It has stayed with me through two moves, a divorce,a bad break up, two job changes and 4 kids!..soo I guess it is worth keeping =) ~hugs~ J.J

What I have learned from my dogBy Judith Newman
It doesn't matter if you saw your friend five years or five minutes ago. Greet her with the same degree of enthusiasm.Well, you don't necessarily have to lick her face. But the point is: Don't take your friends for granted, particularly those you see a lot, or those who do a lot for you. Anyone worth loving is worth loving well.When you've done something wrong, have the decency to at least look guilty.The pile of shredded toilet paper, the chicken bones trailed through the living room. the accident on the Persian rug- you might not actually feel too bad about it, But try to maintain an air of profound sadness for at least 30 seconds. Humans can be more forgiving than you think.
If you're going to eat a slice, you might as well eat the whole cake.Why should you dole out the joys of life sparingly?If the ball is trapped in a nest of thistles or surrounded by barbed wire, go get it anyway.Maybe it's true that there's a thin line between bravery and stupidity, but life's rewards come only to those who take risks.
The correct answer to "Want to go out?" is always "Yes"You never know what's waiting for you once you step out the door.There's no such thing as garbage.Someone else's leftovers are your taste treat. The little things in life have so much value-even if others don't see it.If someone who usually treats you well shouts at you now and again, don't sulk too long.Extend the paw of friendship.Checking out butts of others: not so wrong.Just because your eyes momentarily stray, it doesn't mean your heart forgets to whom it belongs.
Do everything like you really mean it.Play catch like a star outfielder, sleep really,really deep and when you kiss, kiss like it's the last kiss you'll ever give!
Past Member
Brilliant! So true. My dogs have helped me through the roughest times. Thanks for posting!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
From "Song of Myself"
By Walt Whitman

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and
self-contain'd,
I stand and look at them long and long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of
owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of
years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.
Xerxes
Hey JJ,

Wonderful post. You have truly expounded on "Man's Best Friend." And, if I may add, they do not lie or deceive nor do they mis-lead and take advantage. We can certainly NOT say that about certain individuals. So, who is more the "perfect" animal?

X_
Past Member
Dear Xerxes,
I can't help but notice that you have a continually re-emerging theme in your posts about being taken advantage of, used and deceived. This is very sad. But I wonder how well this is going to serve you if you aren't able to move past this pain and hurt. I doubt seriously if it's bothering the person or persons who have caused you such needless injury. I've been trying to understand what would cause someone to hold on to feelings so toxic that they feel compelled to voice them at every possible opportunity. I can't imagine what a terrible person that must have been to have done such things to you but I hope you won't let it poison the rest of your life or prevent you from enjoying the company of other open hearts.

I broke up with a man about 9 months ago and he didn't take it well at all. In fact, his harshness and inability to listen to my feelings were things that drove me faster and further away from him. At first, it seemed a great pity as he was a lovely man but I guess I really didn't know him as well as I thought. He was very generous; in fact, he was constantly sending me presents, no matter how often I would beg him to stop. He was always offering to do things for me and he showed me many wonderful times. He even offered me a very sizable loan of money which I, of course, refused to accept. Because I often begged him to stop buying me things, he was always saying that the gifts carried no strings. When I tried to pull back from the relationship after about 6 months of dating, I saw clearly that the gifts had indeed meant to be tied to strings. He made it very unpleasant for me.As difficult as it was for me to deal with him, I realize that he was hurting much worse and acting out of anger and pain. I didn't feel that I could comfort him though since he was quite unreasonable in his thinking; his perceptions and my own about what had happened in the relationship were so different that I thought the best course of action was to completely cut all ties. I've shown my son his letters because his behaviors shook me up quite a bit.

My point is, I hope you are able to let go of the bad feelings this person has left you with because it can only hold you back. Stewing in the past just cooks up a big old pot of misery chowder which is a recipe for tearing up what's left of your guts.

You are the one who matters in your life and there is no way to obtain your joy or fulfill your purpose in life by holding onto bad feelings from the past. I hope you accept this advice in the spirit it is given.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
PJT
J.J., I think you may have left out one item on your list of things we can learn from dogs. The importance of walking around in a circle three times before lying down.
Xerxes
Herculisa,

I am amazed that you can glean so much from only two posts of mine that you think summarize my true inner feelings. I was scorned as you say, by a person whom I truly loved to the core and still do (although I don't know why, for the life of me). This person that you describe, were you truly honest with him? I mean truly. You must have seen how he felt for you and the fact that you remained with him for the time that you did somehow to me indicates that you cared for him beyond the usual level of involvement. So, did you tell him and allow him to discuss the breakup, or did you just run away as you said?To run in order to avoid causing pain or whatever is absurd. In my mind it would have the complete opposite effect; that is really mean to do to a person. Did you ever think that just maybe the guy loved you to the point that he would do anything for you to make you happy; that he cherished you that much? But, why take the distorted view that he had strings attached? Did you ever tell him that, make your view totally clear? Give him a chance to understand?Sometimes love is truly blind. Personally, I think this fellow loved you so much that he would do anything that he could to show you. This hurt you? I personally would not feel insulted if the person whom I felt was bonded to me and I to her, offered to loan me money. One final point, did you contribute to the intensity of the relationship with this fellow as he apparently did with you? If you did and then behaved as you say, I have to say in my opinion it is you who is guilty and should do some soul searching. I am sure the fellow will survive even though his heart still aches. It is easy to say "give up the toxic feelings" when you are not the victim.

X_
Xerxes
Hello Dear JJ,

Just a follow-up. In the Science section of today's NY Times (Tues. 3/15/11) there is a wonderful article on bonding between humans and animals. It is in line with your wonderful sentiments.

X_
tnbekka
going to send this to MY best friend today---hoping it will bring a smile to her face as it did mine! Thanks.