KADAFY IN LYBIA

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 am
KADAFY IN LYBIA=

Of course, as Americans, we think that we have the
best form of government,  and we do!  Our involvement
in crisis situations around the world is well founded
when it comes to humanitarian efforts.

However, reports of the actual costs are greatly exagerated.
We are led to believe that it is costing one million dollors a day
for us to be in Lybia.  This is one of those paper generated facts.

What is the cost of operation for the same personnel, the same weapons
and the same equipment when it is not deployed to Lybia,
or any other country, Iraq, Afganistan,Yemen,  the list goes on.

The men and women in uniform are on payroll any how.
The weapons and ammunition are on hand
The vehicles are on hand,
The only thing that is an additional cost, is the fuel. (of course that
is enough by itself!)

Is the same thing as other cost of services, such as
Fire fighting  
Police; law enforcement
Court processes, trials etc.

I realize that there is a cost of replacement, but that is an after the fact expense.

I have re-read this post and am not sure I stated it correctly,
c'mon souls, help me out here.  Is this an accurate assessment or am I all wet?
Reply by three, on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm
Financial cost is a peculiar concept — the cost to one is the earning to another, and it all balances out in the big scheme of things on this little blue marble in infinite space.

But there is a different kind of "cost" — each time a breath passes without some awareness of what it really means to be alive, and what can really be accomplished in the limited time given . . . well then, something priceless is spent, and there's nothing earned by another.
Reply by gutenberg, on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm
I realize that there is a cost of replacement, but that is an after the fact expense

Of course if you take into account the number of  Libians still living, well you're not all wet at all.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm
I tend to agree with you Jack, just think your title should be "Gadaffi in Libya".  

Sorry, is the editing proof-reading medical typist in me coming out!

Cheers mate,
Jo
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm
I stand corrected Maree,

to tell you the truth though,  I did not think that the a..hole
was worth looking up how to spell his name!
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:49 am
The family of a life lost will never focus on the cost allocated to extinguish their loved one and their killer will never focus on how much it cost to kill him or her. I don't really know what this post is really about.

Last edited by KennyT on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:56 am
By the way I am talking about both sides of the fence before things explode.
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:47 am
Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention Jack I am not American as are many on this site.

And as for America's humanitarian efforts around the globe the less said the better. You can only do so much to ensure your own existence. Self preservation is a great thing.

Ken.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:12 am
Kenny,

I think that we may be on the same page, but not the same paragraph..........

I was not referring to the cost of human life.  O course, no amount
of money is worth a human life,  whether it is a life precious to
us personally, or a total stranger.  "No man is an island....."

What I meant was, how the powers that be extrapolate the cost of services.
In that most of the cost have or will occur,any how, ;the bullets, the planes,
the rockets and the men and womens' salaries.  The major cost of these
operations is the cost of the gas to travel to and from the particular situation.  
I wasn't referring to any particular incident, just in general.
The reference to kaddfi was that I saw on the news where the
expense was going to be a million dollars a day.  Totally blown out of proportion.

Again, I am not putting a price on human life.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 am
Maree,  I did it again!!  Misspelled his name,  oh well....
Reply by Primeboy, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am
Muammar has more variations on the spelling of his last name than he has Halloween Costumes for public appearances. I have seen the following variations in the media: Gaddafi, Qaddafi, Kadafi, and Kadafy. I guess all of these are rough English translations of an Arabic name. In the interest of accuracy and consistency, however, I would like to propose a more realistic and appropriate moniker for this screwball despot: Ka Daffy Duck. Let's hope he is a short timer on the world's stage.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm
Prime,  

makes sense to me,  I totaly agree.

hey Maree,  

You hear what Prime said?  heh, heh!
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 pm
Sorry Jack. Wonderful reply mate.

Ken
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm
Jack,
These days there is a much higher cost to staging any new military engagement.  Many things have changed from the time you may have been in the military.  For one thing, much of the operations that used to be handled by the military itself (logistics, feeding, transportation, endless stuff) are contracted now to outside private companies at substantially higher costs. So actually, new companies, salaries and equipment are not necessarily on hand for this....it's added on for the operation. Also, when men and women are in combat, their pay increases, as does their risk of incuring huge medical costs from injuries.  Also the problem with the wars that have been going on two fronts for the past (what, decade?) are actually being paid for on borrowed funds.  We are paying for this stuff at a much higher cost than ever because we are waging war on credit.
Finally, I think people are fed up at the moment with paying for wars when stateside we are being asked to give up so much and lay off vital jobs in education, police, and city workers.  We are being told that the nation, states, and cities are going broke but it seems we have an endless supply of funds to go drop bombs on people under the guise of rescuing them.

I could go on, but I bore people enough as it is.

Lisa
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm
Lisa,  

you are definately not boring!  Matter of fact you never cease to impress me with your over all knowledge of current and world events.

I stand somewhat corrected, but still feel that the advertised cost is inflated immensely.

(remember the , (what, $300.00 toilet lid), or whatever it was.

You're right tho,  we have enough to do at home without galavanting all over the planet.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.