Loop Colostomy Complications: Seeking Advice on Surgery Solution

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses potential surgical solutions for complications related to loop colostomy and seeks advice from those who have undergone similar procedures.
Pami 22
Hi everyone dont know if im doing this in the right place but here goes, got some news and a few question's, let me explain first....I have a loop colostomy (since may 2010) recently i have had lots of problems with it. Leaking lots and often from my bottom, going to the toilet in the "normal" way, pain etc etc.

From the start i kind of knew to expect some mucous from the back passage because of the type of colostomy i have but wasnt prepared for this. For the past few months i have been leaking feacal fluid daily - passing stool and even having normalish sized bowel movements all due to overflow of the loop. Instead of all the feaces coming out into the bag some of it has been bypassing it and running into the other loop that leads to my rear end!
This has been especially awful for me as my colostomy was created to rest my rectum and perinneum due to an unhealed wound. I been wearing pads-inco nappy type things you name it to try and avoid messy acccidents. It has caused me problems with my wound, nappy rash and infections etc.
Was told to it may settle/was because of type of output/was due to infection etc then was told to try suppositories up the way because some of it was getting blocked and then to try through the stoma-however that was not sucsessful as nurse told me my bowel is now sort of twisted, great eh?
As you can imagine this situation was really gettin me down i mean after all what is the point in getting a stoma and still spending half your life sitting on the toilet?
Suggestions were made that maybe my rectum could be removed but i felt that at 22 and with no crohns etc that was really not the right route for me at this stage so i got another appointment with my surgeon on monday there.......Turns out there IS A SOLUTION!!!!
I can have quite simple surgery to staple or stitch CLOSED the part that still leads to my rectum, that is causing all the problems!
If my rectal wound heals in the future i will still be able to have a reversal done as the stitches or staples can be removed and the bowel joined back together. In the meantime it should bring an end to my misery.
I have to go for a pre assesment on the 30th march and hopefully operated on the 7th April.

I know from messaging, reading and replying to a few posts that there are people out there with similar problems. Please get it cheked out, don't put up with it, it is awful living this way! I am frustrated that i put up with it thinking at first that it was normal and then getting problems after problems and ending up like this.

So questions. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone out there had the same surgery to fix the problem? Anyone have any advice? Was anyone told that this is a possibe problem with loop ostomy surgery?

On a lighter note, I asked the surgeon for a refund......for all the toilet roll i should not have had to buy over these past months! lol. He just laughed, must think im crazy. But as they say, if you dont laugh you will cry.

Any comments etc would be appriciated, Thanks Pami xxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

That's great news!! I have an ileostomy (not reversible due to Crohn's) so I have nothing to share except my sincere wishes for a speedy recovery and continuing great health. You've earned it!!!!

Keep us informed, okay?
BEG

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pami 22

Thanks BEG, I will do, you take care xx

airforce1

Hang in there. I had problems and hit rock bottom. Just had stoma moves last week. Very slow, but thinking of you.

Primeboy

My GI doctor advised me that, if I had a second reversal, the pouch would be quite small and I would therefore need to visit the bathroom often. Compounding this, the tissue around my sphincter had been thoroughly scraped to remove any traces of dysplasia resulting in some loss of tightness and control. So, I opted for a permanent ileostomy. What I learned is that you can't always have your cake and eat it. At your age (22) you should keep your options open as long as reasonable. You should feel assured that modern medicine will continue to do wondrous things in the coming years. In my case (at 67), the quality of life for my remaining years was paramount. My permanent ileostomy is nothing more than a minor inconvenience when I can still do anything and go anywhere with confidence. All the best to you!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

So many heartwarming stories!

I am so happy for all the success stories and even for
the ones that aren't so successful, but with a great attitude.

I am never disappointed when I come here to chat and read
about what some souls have been through and how they have
adapted. I was one of the lucky few that has fared favorably
through the ordeal and BOY! am I grateful.

nodwell
Hi Pammi 22,
In Jan. 2010, I went from a colostomy to an ileostomy (it's 10 times worse than a colostomy). I know what you mean when you talk about 'sitting on the pan and pooing' and at the same time emptying your bag. I was 'lucky' enough to have the reversal in July 2010, and now I'm waiting to go back in to get a hernia repaired due to the ileostomy stoma. What I'm saying to you is keep your chin up, and when you go in for the reversal, take plenty of baby wipes and Sudocrem with you. Best of luck xx
nodwell
Hi Pammi 22,
In Jan. 2010, I went from a colostomy to an ileostomy (it's 10 times worse than a colostomy). I know what you mean when you talk about 'sitting on the pan and pooing' and at the same time emptying your bag. I was 'lucky' enough to have the reversal in July 2010, and now I'm waiting to go back in to get a hernia repaired due to the ileostomy stoma. What I'm saying to you is keep your chin up, and when you go in for the reversal, take plenty of baby wipes and Sudocrem with you. Best of luck xx