Supporting the Ostomy Bag and Preventing Blockages

In this discussion
Replies
Views
toodie

I am new to the land of ostomy and I feel the ostomy nurses don't share as much as I can read on here. So I have a few questions...

Do I need to support the bag? i.e. Do I need to wear a belt or is it okay to let the bag hang freely? My stoma is situated such that I can wear my regular undergarments, however, I notice that there are garments which hold the bag. Is this necessary?

Does the stoma have to be protected? I was only told that excessive rubbing would not be good.

I was given a pamphlet on foods which produce gas, foods to avoid, etc. But the nurses said to try anything. I am a bit scared to get a blockage and a bit scared that I will not get a balanced diet. So far I am doing okay but I have asked for a referral to a dietician. How do you try anything but save yourself from a blockage?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

It is okay to let the bag hang, and you need a bag if it makes you feel comfortable. The special garments for the bag are also more to make you feel comfortable and/or confident.

The stoma should be protected from bumps and bangs.

When it comes to food, introduce slowly and then observe for any changes. In essence, have a little and when you have output, you can "review" it. I know kind of gross, but hopefully you get the gist.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
bes0642

Hi Toodie, welcome to the site. You don't necessarily have to wear a belt. I wore one for a time and decided it wasn't necessary since I had a convex wafer. I've been an ostomate for 7 years and have never supported the bag. However, when it starts getting heavy, I immediately dump it. I learned a quick lesson several years ago when the clip came undone. You can imagine what happened with a full dump. After that, I was a quick learner. Ha Ha! Go to this site, it will give you a lot of information. http://www.cgh.com.sg/library/english/CGH%20Ostomy%20120309.pdf
Ostomate basics are chew, chew, chew, and drink plenty of liquids to prevent blockages. I drink about 3 to 4 quarts of liquid a day. If you try new foods, go slowly. We all react differently to some items. Protect your stoma! This website will give you a heads up on your options. Best wishes for a healthy recovery. Bob

nessy

I wear a belt for intimate times! Turn the bag 90 degrees, cover it with the belt and have the opening around my back. Out of sight, out of mind.

Traveling Lady

Welcome Toodie! I am new to the ostomate world as well (Dec 2010) but have learned a few lessons, mostly from this site. First, when asking questions, whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy and what caused it are important to note. Personally, I have a colostomy due to radiation I received 15 years ago for colon cancer. When I first asked the diet question, I received a mixture of responses. During the first 8 weeks following surgery, some foods caused blockages one time but not the next. Now 3 months out, I can eat anything I want -- though sometimes I have to pay the price in gas. Your situation can and probably will be entirely different as you have an ileostomy from UC. No matter what you have, be very careful with your diet as you recover from surgery, drink lots of water (everyone should anyway), and chew your food well (I've even seen some ileomates say they have to mash their food).
As for clothes, I wear low rise -- the bottom of my bag tucks nicely into my underwear and I bought some camis a size larger than usual which help to conceal above (at least until it starts to fill). Don't know yet what I will do come summer but I'm sure there are some helpful hints on this site.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and a better surgeon on your next surgery!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Immarsh
Hi Toodie,

I read your profile and posts. Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of friends and some helpful information. I'll try to answer a few for you. I've had my surgery (for UC) since I was 15 years old, and now I'm 60+ so you can do the math. It's scary, but I've never regretted the decision.

I used to wear a belt with old-fashioned heavier appliances and face plates. With the newer lightweight disposable products, I gave up the belt(s) about 12 years ago. My ostomy is placed below the waistline, so it doesn't interfere with clothes. I do wear a lightweight elastic panty that holds the pouch and wafer in place. I find that it feels secure, and I never have to worry about the bag filling up or the pressure put on the wafer....I have fewer leaks this way. But everyone does it differently. It's really up to you.

Same as food choices. Try small amounts of questionable foods and see how you feel. For the most part, proteins and carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) cause very little gas. For some, dairy is a problem (lactose intolerant) but I have no problem with it. I'm more careful with high-fiber foods. Without a large intestine, I find too much fiber creates bloat, churning, gas, bulky output that can sometimes be painful. I used to be able to eat corn, beans, etc....but have had difficulty as I've gotten older. I eat salad, but am careful about raw celery, carrots, cabbage, etc....as they come out as they go in...and can cause pain.

Try new foods in small amounts, little at a time, and try to eat them with predictable foods. And like the other "mates" said....drink plenty of water. Best of luck to you....Feel free to write if you have any other questions.

Marsha
blueiis

Hi Toodie, I too had a colostomy because of radiation treatments, but I only lost the sigmoid colon.
Even though I have a lot of trouble with movements at the moment, and my surgery was 2 years ago last April, it seems to get better each day. Blueiis. I'm from Airdrie. Do you go to any of the meetings for osteomates? I have a support person who I can phone and ask questions of. Blueiis

blueiis

Hi Toodie, I too had a colostomy because of radiation treatments, but I only lost the sigmoid colon.
Even though I have a lot of trouble with movements at the moment, and my surgery was 2 years ago last April, it seems to get better each day. Blueiis. I'm from Airdrie. Do you go to any of the meetings for osteomates? I have a support person who I can phone and ask questions of. Blueiis

toodie

Thank you all for taking the time to share your stories and suggestions, but most of all, lending your support.

I will refer to your posts for some time....read, read more, and repeat!

toodie

I am too new to have attended any of the meetings, however I have just gotten in contact and will be meeting with one of the gals, thanks for the heads up!