Toilet Drops for Odor-Free BMs: What's the Name?

Replies
Views
tello

I know that I read of a product that can be used by anyone (ostomy or not) that completely eliminates odor when one has a BM or empties an ostomy bag. I forgot the name of the product but I remember it comes in a small bottle (can put in pocket) and requires only putting a drop or two into the toilet before "going." Does anyone know the name of this product? Seems like it would be easier than putting a deodorizer into your bag/pouch?

Thanks!
Past Member

Never heard of those drops but there's a product called Ozium (sold in truck stops) that's a great air spray freshener. It actually gets rid of stink rather than just masking it with cloying perfumes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Called Just a Drop - Toilet Odor Neutralizer - www.justadrop.ca
tello

Does it work for ilostomates? I am thinking maybe it won't because of how much gas is released from our pouches, so we kind of have a different source of odor than a person who "goes the normal way." If it does work though, it would be easy to use. Has anyone tried it yet?

Shitbag

I would sometimes hear drops in the toilet when I still had an asshole!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
goldengirl

LMAO...That was funny.

markndeb20

Yes!!! Just A Drop works great! I've used it since my (now 10 years old) older child was just learning to use the toilet. I also use it when I empty the bag on my 3-year-old. Just a drop is all you need with this liquid. I carried it around in my purse for when we went to public restrooms, but it tended to get leaky and sticky on the bottle.... even though I had it in a zipper sandwich baggie. It doesn't make all the stool smell disappear, but it helps lessen the odor. I found it in a Harriet Carter catalog.

Also... per recommendations from another ostomate, I've used eucalyptus (sp?) oil drops (about 4 drops with each bag empty) in my little one's pouch. This helps neutralize the odor better than any other product I've tried. I got it at a local vitamin store.

Good luck!

Ryan's Mom

banshie3by5

From the website...."Just a Drop is composed of a natural eucalyptus extract and mild fragrance oil."
And..."This item actually works. I have a colostomy and have found nothing to get rid of the odor. This product works like nothing else!

Deborah Z., South Milwaukee, WI December 3, 2009

I have an ileostomy which can be odorous, so I have been looking for years to find something to help with the odor. Just A Drop does exactly what it says it does. I am thrilled! Thank you!

I'm thinking Eucalyptus straight may work better on stronger smells. Thanks for the info everybody. I'm always trying to "hold it" rather than use a public bathroom.

softncuddly

Just a drop is the best thing ever invented, when it first came out it was a specialty order, but now you can buy it everywhere, you can even buy a little travel size for plane trips....worth the investment and lasts forever!!!!!!

smylin61

Can someone help me out with the "Justa Drop" product? Sounds like I'd like to try it but am a little worried that the oil in the product might cause my seal to break if it works itself under the flange. I had an accident that was caused from the lubricant that Hollister sells. It's used to help the contents of your bag "make its way" to the bottom of the pouch. I figured later that the lubricant worked itself under the flange and I don't want to have another accident. Thx for any feedback....Smylin

banshie3by5
Hi,

If you're getting a good seal with your flange, you should be able to put in any oil or lubricant. I've used the Hollister deodorant/lubricant for 4 years now. I don't think it does diddly for odor though, ha ha ha.

I'm going to try the Altoids myself. Or get some Eucl. from the herb store.

Good luck finding what works for you!!!
tello

From what I understand about this product, I believe you just put a drop or two into the toilet; you don't put any into your pouch/bag. Do you think this would work? I am a new ileostomate, so I am still on a learning curve about all of these issues! What do you think? Is there any reason to have to put these drops in your pouch or would just putting them into the toilet work?

Thanks!
banshie3by5

Eucalyptus would be very irritating to your stoma. Note to remember...if it would hurt the inside of your cheek then it'll hurt your stoma. (Mucous membranes are sensitive no matter where they are.) The theory behind Euc. oil in the toilet is that the oil puts a layer on top of the water so smellies that go in don't come back up out.

I have a colostomy but because of multiple resections, it acts like an ileostomy. If you're having any problems or questions, I'd be glad to share what works for me.

smylin61

Thanks for all the info you all have shared. I went online and found the "Just a drop" and then decided I didn't want to use my credit card online once again without having tried a cheaper and possibly better, if not comparable, option....So Banshie, I'm with you. I went to the store and bought a small size of peppermint flavored Altoids for 99 cents. I'm going to give that a go and see what happens. Thanks again....SMYLIN

Counting My Blessings

My sister gave me drops that go in the toilet. They are Japanese with Japanese writing so I can't pass along the name or brand. They do work, but I haven't tried to find more.

I keep the Lysol Neutra Air refills in my bathroom. I used to keep a canister in the dispenser on the wall, but it's a waste now since I empty the pouch so seldom. The dispenser makes it spray every half hour or so. So I just spritz the can manually prior to leaving the bathroom. It really neutralizes odors well without the scents of other deodorizers which seem to bother my allergies.

tdbm

I tried putting a couple of drops of tea tree oil on a little piece of tissue and put it inside the bag. My nurse does that with the Coloplast O.A.D. deodorant. Oh boy!!! It "burned" or melted a hole through the bag right at the bottom while I was out! Luckily, I smelled that there was a "problem" before it got on my clothing!

markndeb20

Hi! I only just realized there were some notifications that I have not replied to... so sorry this is so late!!! The toilet drops are called 'Just a Drop' and can be ordered through Harriet Carter website (harrietcarter.com). Just a drop is -really- all you need! We put a drop into the toilet and then a few squares of toilet paper before we empty my son's bag. Doesn't make the smell go away... but helps with the intensity of the odor! - Ryan's Mom

bubby

Tried many things, but baby oil in the pouch before installing was totally it. Just be careful not to get it on the adhesive part, i.e. skin, wax, stomahesive, etc., or it won't stick very well. It makes for the speediest and cleanest emptying ever. Just need 1 paper towel each time to clean closure. It helps with smell also as it coats to seal in moisture from evaporating, taking smell with it. When I had a bag, I had baby oil in the car, house, and even at work! No big deal!! Cheap too!! After emptying, just a little squirt to replenish the bag. I think they lasted longer also. Only need a spoonful each time. Jay hope this helps someone.

cruiseguy

I know of this spray that you put in the toilet to neutralize odors, and I have used it in the past and it has a really funny name but it sure does work. It's called Poo-Pourri. Here is their website http://www.poopourri.com/. I ordered it on Amazon but I'm sure eBay would have it too!

nurse07

I buy a product called Pure Drop from Wal-Mart for $2.59. I find it near the cleaning, laundry supplies, and paper towels and toilet paper. It is usually hanging on the end of an aisle. It works great and does not leave a film or oil in the toilet.

blueonthetyne

I know we all suffer from the fear factor with this thing over smells and stuff, but I've come to realize that it's still not as bad as the conventional rear and fart. A friend of mine did this the other day, and it was so bad I was nearly sick, but everybody laughed. It just shows what an elite club we are, and only we can understand that.

LadyHope

M9 by Hollister works pretty well, although the color of the product is blue. I also use Na'scent and Safe and Simple. All do a good job at keeping odors at bay. LH

JohnNJ

I think you are thinking about Poo-Pourri.
I never used it.