The end of a somewhat good day

Replies
Views
rosiemoe
Ive had a good day today stoma wise,or so i thought.
A few hours ago i had the worse pooh pains,rubbing tum didn't help nor did sitting on the loo (WHY!!!!!BOTHER NOWT IS GONNA COME OUT),also my stoma felt swollen,like when u haven't been for a few days,not always a problem for me as i dont stop going most days.Anyway i thought i'll take my bag off,and sit with a dry wipe over my stoma as that sometimes helps, WRONG IDEA,it went everywhere,i never knew it could shoot out so quick or so far.I have just spent the last hour cleaning pooh off the floor,sink and the wall!!!!,as i said i never knew how far it would shoot out.
I have learned an important lesson tonight...............NEVER REMOVE THE BAG WHEN THE POOH PAINS ARE THAT BAD,it was like something out of a horror movie.Glad to say pooh pains have now gone.Im just sooooooooooo glad i was at home and in my own loo.
scotiaman
Hi...should it happen again....put a chair in the bath tub and let it go as it wants....just a thought ...easy to clean up !!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PJT
Maybe you were experiencing some blockage and by removing your appliance you opened up the dam so to speak. Another possibility, and one that I've experienced, is that the stoma opening was getting smaller over time. Gas noises became very loud and if any poo came out while I was changing my appliance it would shoot out really far. Eventually I had to get a stoma revision, but it was no big deal.
Shitbag
I just jump in the shower, take off my bag, and let the shit fly!
SallyWillard
I take mine off and get in the tub with the shower running. It makes a mess but I have one of those shower heads that you can take down and spray so it's easy to wash down the drain! Too bad theirs not some kind of competition for distance. I'm pretty sure I could take an eye out with mine if I tried!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
rosiemoe
Thanks for the tips,it's never been that bad.I have not" been " now for 2 days.Most of the time my stoma is well behaved and i don't worry about having it,but it's times like that i hate it.I can't have it reversed,not that i mind too much as the op to have it woz murder as it woz done as an emergancy to save my life,so im thankfull for that,but it is not wot i expected when i went for day surgery for a simple op and came home 3 weeks later and my life had changed for good.
butterfly48
Still goes back to what your eating. I am trying a food enzyme that helps digest my food and also adidophilus which has cut the gas noise down. What I don't like is you never know when the stoma will act up. I just know when my bag is full I need to empty quickly because I get stomach cramps. as soon as I empty the cramps leave. I don't think there is one answer because I think between the food we eat and the weather changing all the time, we really
can't count on good days and we definitely know the bad days. Butterfly48
Pinky
I agree with Butterfly - sometimes eating yogurt or using probiotics can aid digestion and cut down on explosions. I've said this before but it bears repeating - fresh PINEAPPLE created the WORST blockage ever!

Another idea - you can order irrigation sleeves (usually used with a colostomy) that attach to your flange - they are about 2 feet long and gently let the effluent down into the toilet. Convatec, Hollister and Coloplast all make them...maybe others as well. You just order the size that fits on your flange.

Could be useful in this kind of situation.
airforce1
that happend to me once itwas from a blockage ended up in hospital to unblock it but when it finally came through it was like a back flow changed bag five times in 1 hour