Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,591 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,591 OstoMates.

Ostomy Bag And Tight Clothing?

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Hello all,

I have just had my op, I'm three weeks into my recovery and doing quite well by all accounts. There's just a few things I am a bit worried about, if any body could help it would be greatly appreciated.

First off before my op I was told I would be fine wearing tight clothing but now I've had it a few week I just can't see how I'm going to be able to fit the type of clothing I like to wear. I am a bit of a mod, which involves nice slim clothing but because the bag balloons I can't see how it is possible!

Seconodly I am slightly worried about the odours when emptying the bag. I don't mind it at home with family but when in can start to go out again to friends Ervin going to find it really hard. I know it jut a stigma and my friends won't care but I can't get my head around that at the moment unfortunately.

Finally, I was told I would be able to return to football (soccer if you're American) but again I can't see how it going to be possible at the moment with this, at times, heavy bag. Also, does anyone have any preferences for a sports and hernia guard/belt.

Sorry for all the negativity and I apologise if people think these are petty and trivial point but to me at the minute its getting me down, I'm very new to this so it's quite hard at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Sam.

P.S. Sorry for the essay!

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Sam, I had a colostomy in February 2010 so not as experienced as quite a few on here but can tell you of some of my experiences compared to yours, First of all after my operation the smell you mentions was horrible for the first couple of months but about the same time I was able to return to work it became normal so anyone following after me into a restroom would have known what I had done but it smelled the same as any other person would have left it, so don't sweat that one. About returning to football/soccer, have at it you just have to try not to take a hit on your stoma which does hurt even though they say there are no nerves, I am a fireman and I found that my airpack strapping actually helped hold the appliance in place and it seems that the adrenaline stopped any flow until i calmed down (everyone is different), the only thing with heavy activity such as playing ball or in my case putting out fires is that you sweat and that makes the bag lose it's adhesive backing which they do make belts to hold them in place, I never got a belt but was told they are available where you get your supplies. The part you are probably not going to like is about the tight clothes, not sure the location of your stoma but mine is above my belt line and I used to like to wear tight polo shirts but you can see the outline of the appliance so I bought loose fitting shirts, also tight clothes will work if you are not worried about appearance but you may get pancaking if the bag is restricted. I hope this helps and I'm sure others will offer thier advise too, have a nice day.

Ed

Advertisement
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi - I'm sorry to say but tight clothes are a thing of the past. I find myself wearing a hoody or a shirt over a t-shirt even in warm weather. Layering clothes works best for disguising the bump. As for the smell, if you wear a one piece bag and remove it, it's going to stink because the poop isn't covered by water like it is when you go in the toilet. There is a product called M9 that comes in a purse sized spray that gets rid of some of the odor. I'm not sure where a man could comfortably carry the little spray bottle though. Is that your M9 or are you just happy to see me? Life is definitely not the same after a colostomy but it's an improvement over crones or colon cancer.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:27 pm

i wear tight clothes all the time. i have an illeostomy so my output is almost allways liquidy. i empty it at when i get about 3-5 inches in the bag....i have a bottom open end one piece so i drain it between my legs (i am female so allways sit)

as far as sports - i dance like a mad woman for exersize.......it took a while to heal .....started being normal in an adult way as well......just need the right partner and i use a garment from ostomysecrets to hide the battle wounds as i was septic and lost a great deal of abdomen muscle and tissue......i was quite vain but am just happy to look normal on the outside (i am still a trainwreck on the inside-i have scleroderma and my intestines are tore up)......

as far as odor - peach, pineapple or other such fruit helps the odor as does many curtacy (sp) flushes

i stil have fun

goodluck

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi  it depends on where your stoma is and what "tight clothes" ? I still wear slim jeans and close fitting tops.....when the bag inflates I just go to the toilet and empty, also carry a small "air feshner spray" which I spay on to my clothes in the stoma area so this does help and keeps me comfortable....

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Tight clothes will be an issue, but look at the wraps available through ostomysecrets.com.  Embracing the 'shirt out' look is the best way to go.

Sports are no problem - I find that output almost always slows or stops during physical activity, so if you empty right before you start, you should be good.

Smell is definitely an issue, but there are many solutions that work wonders and can be easily carried in a pocket.  The commercial drops are great, mouthwash works just as well, and the most convenient is to drop in a breath mint like Mentos.  Do any of those after you empty, and the next time you emptythe smell will be no problem.

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Hello Sam, God Bless you!! 

At first it is going to be hard adjusting. It's all new....but don't worry things will become close to normal. Your out put will be frequent and it will be heavy for the most part. Your body needs to become stable and you need yo know it will improve. Watch your foods. Get a diary and write what you eat and the effects your body has with your daily meals. There is a product called m9 by Hollister it's an odor eliminator. It works perfectly. Can't leave home with our it. You put at least 5 drops into your bag each time you empty the bag. 

Your clothing, you will need to change a few things. But you can be creative. You'll need to first wait to fully recover. Then you can worry about fashion and style. Remember to be patient with yourself. 

God bless you and I wish you a speedy recovery🌹

Sincerly, 

Ana

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:16 pm

As for the smell, I found a fantastic product -- Devrom.  It is a chewable tablet (also comes in capsules) and you chew 2 tablets after meals 2 - 3 times a day.  It takes almost all the smell away.  It has made all the difference in the world.  You can find it at Parthenon.com.

Tight clothes -- I found the only way I could get back into my tight clothes was to irrigate.  Then no worries about bag filling up at inopportune times or pancaking or changing when out and about.  With irrigation, I wear a mini one-piece bag from Coloplast (stoma covers were too thick) and with tight clothes is not even noticeable.

It took me a couple of years before I found the product and routine that worked for me.  Most companies will continue to send you supplies until you find the one that works.

Good luck!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm

1.  Tight clothes are OK most of the time, yet if the pouch ballons to much, it will become unglued from your belly.  A belt helps.  I wore pleated front slacks for many years, then someone suggested they made me look fat.  So...  now I wear flat fronts that have a tapered waist. 

2.  Sports...  Several American Profesional Football players returned to the game after ostomy surgery.  Find the book "Great Comebacks".  I think Rolf Benirschke was the first recipiet of the Great Combacks award, and often attends the UOAA National Conferences.  The next conference will be in St. Louis, MO, in early September, where Rolf will likely present a new award. 

Good luck.  Bruce

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:23 pm

My pre-op nurse carefully measured where the surgeon should put the stoma. I got my ileostomy at age 37, & am now age 62. My stoma is 1 inch to the right of my navel & 1/2 inch below my navel. Tight clothes were always a problem for me, even tight underwear. Too much pan caking and blowouts. I just changed to looser clothes. Now I'm retired and just wear sweats & commando (no underwear). If I need to dress up, I have a loose, flowery skirt. I will wear undies if I'm going to the doc or for a medical test. I ALWAYS refuse to lay on tummy for a procedure to avoid explosion, & the nurse can always find a position for the scanner or whatever-they don't want to clean up the mess! I had very little social life with U.C., & now do everything I want to. You'll probably just have to experiment with clothes & accept what works best. The very best to you!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 pm
LookingGlass wrote:

Hey Sam, I'm about 8 months out from my surgery, and still haven't figured this one out. First of all, I have a homemade version of the stealth belt, and I never go without it. It provides some slimming effect, but more of a control, really. I remember how very vulnerable I felt at first, and am still working to address this, but the belt has helped immensely.

The best that I can come up with--since I have an ileostomy and irrigation is not possible--is to empty my bag (2 piece) frequently, and learn how to gas off far away from others (and outside) when I cannot empty my bag. For this, I break the very top of the seal slightly, and have made a top zipper in my homemade stealth belt to be able to do it more easily.

As for odor, the two products they mention here look very promising, but for me, for now, I have just practised courtesy flushing, to be honest. I always try and crack a window beforehand if the bathroom has one. Smile  

Can't really help you out with sports, at the moment, as I'm about to search for that answer myself, but I've seen a few decent-looking, albeit expensive, products out there so far. Mainly just wanted to say hang in there, and put your chin up. It's a lifestyle change for sure, but you can recapture about 90-95% of the lifestyle you had without too much trouble, and a little diligence.    

Past Member
Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks Ana G. Your replay to Sam was gentle kind and on spot. Your kindness came thru your words so I decided to let you know that I appreciate this. I too am new to the world of ostomy, (5wks). So all of the concerns and answers regarding them help me know that I am not alone in this challenging situation and we all have similar insecurities and considerations. I just appreciate being able to read everyone's blog. Thanks, Nagual

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:45 am
LookingGlass wrote:

DON'T WORRY, THERE ARE SOLUTIONS!

Re Odour get some Forest Breeze in-bag Ostomy deodorant.  Comes in very small bottle from Charter.  I get mine from them via the NHS.  Makes a world of a difference.

Also, consider changing your current bag for one with an air hole at the top so you can "burp" it when it blows up.

GOOD LUCK and let me know how you get on, please. Thanks

Hello all,

I have just had my op, I'm three weeks into my recovery and doing quite well by all accounts. There's just a few things I am a bit worried about, if any body could help it would be greatly appreciated.

First off before my op I was told I would be fine wearing tight clothing but now I've had it a few week I just can't see how I'm going to be able to fit the type of clothing I like to wear. I am a bit of a mod, which involves nice slim clothing but because the bag balloons I can't see how it is possible!

Seconodly I am slightly worried about the odours when emptying the bag. I don't mind it at home with family but when in can start to go out again to friends Ervin going to find it really hard. I know it jut a stigma and my friends won't care but I can't get my head around that at the moment unfortunately.

Finally, I was told I would be able to return to football (soccer if you're American) but again I can't see how it going to be possible at the moment with this, at times, heavy bag. Also, does anyone have any preferences for a sports and hernia guard/belt.

Sorry for all the negativity and I apologise if people think these are petty and trivial point but to me at the minute its getting me down, I'm very new to this so it's quite hard at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Sam.

P.S. Sorry for the essay!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.