ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today
Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample

A fast simple and very cheap way to eliminate pouch odour

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,691 Members
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 am
not sure if this has been tried before but here is a simple and very cheap way to eliminate odour from pouch... buy a small bottle of eucalyptis oil ( it usually comes with a drop dispenser on the top)
all you need to do is add around 5 or more drops into the bag after emptying.i find this to be very effective and it also leaves a nice smell in the bathroom.your pouch will also have a plesent smell all day long as well.why pay companies for expensive odour eliminator products when you can buy a bottle of this miracle stuff at any chemist for around £2 and it will last you a very long time. also you can buy very small bottle to take with you anywhere you might go..hope this will help people here
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 pm
great Idea.  will buy a bottle today.    thanks.Michael
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:15 pm
I agree. Eucalyptus is the best for covering odor.  I keep eucalyptus cough drops with me to put in my pouch as needed.        Smile
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 am
Thanks chess! Smile  I need to give that a try too Smile
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 am
just a small point about adding eucalyptus oil to the pouch..some pouches are not as strong as others and the oil might slightly shrink the part  of pouch where oil meets plastic..if this is the case then there are two alternatives......  firstly.....add  5 or more drops to a small piece of toilet tissue and then scrunch this up tightly before putting in pouch...this will prevent any shrinkage..secondly... and this is a great alternative if you use morform sachets.......tear of the top section of morform sachet and then add at least 5 drops to the crystals inside... twist the top well and then place in bag.the oil will soak into the morform sachet and create a really nice odour.in case  some ppl here do not know what morform sachets are  i will explain...they contain a  gel like substance which on contact with liquid will form a thick paste..this is to prevent any liquid output from stoma.there are equivalent products available in britain and the usa as well..hope this info will help anyone here
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:12 pm
what smell my bag smells like roses ,dont know what happened to you all.
greg lol
Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:20 pm
Thank you.  I have just tried this and it seems to be working.  Cheers.
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 am
YAY BIKERBOY DOES IT WORK 4 ILEOSTOMY LIKE IN AUSTRALIA DONT KNOW IF WE CAN BUY DROPS BUT DONT QUOTE ME KEEP UP WITHIS GR8 ADVISE NEXT INVISIBLE POUCH LOL WISH
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am
So do you just put a cough drop in each time you empty your pouch?
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am
I was recently made aware if another oder-eliminator when in the hospital/  A nurse ordered-up a small bottle of Oil of Peppermint for me to use for my room.  She placed a smallpiece of bandage fabric (sturdy kind) INTO THE OPENED LITTLE BOTTLE WITH THE TOP OF THE FABRIC/BANDAGE PROTRUDING FROM THE MOUTH. She placedit in an inspicuous spot on my night-table.  I worked like a charm.  Doctors, nurses visitors rtc all asked me where the wonderfully freshn-minty smell was coming from.  I felt confident once again to let visitors into my prior "stinky" hospital room.  I think this would work with other natural/elemental oils of one's choice )lavendar--spruce-- etc.) and is so cheap and effective.  Hope someone out there gives it a try.  I love it
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:48 pm
yes thats a great idea..have tried it and it works well.as you say... bandage works well as a wick as does gauze..you could also springle the  peppermint essence or any other essence onto por pourri for a great lasting scent.how about also putting the oil into one of those clay style oil holders that you can buy cheaply.eucalyptus oil and lavender oil work very well as well as peppermint.by the way if you use peppermint essence that is used in food you will find it a lot cheaper as well..i can get three bottles of peppermint food essense for only £1 in britain.lets hear some more comments on this.thanks for the great tip and lets keep them coming
  Past Member
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am
Wonderful idea, I know I can find the oil here locally or online.  There are other scents that I like.  Sometimes I can smell an odor, and other people near do not or just do not comment.  I wear perfumes, but it is not always enough.  Have a great week.
  Past Member
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 am
Other than eucalyptus, what about patchouli?
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 pm
I'm going to try this!

those little bottles can be carried and last for months. Whoot!  You may have just solved my next traveling problem.
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 am

Here in the US, if you have insurance, deodorant is covered, is odorless, and generally works really well. 

I have found that the regular deodorant works better at fighting odor compared to a lubricating deodorant. 

Lots of options on Edgepark, like:

Hollister M9 spray:

https://www.edgepark.com/ostomy/deodorants-and-cleansers/deodorants/room-deodorants/hollister-m9-odor-eliminator-spray-unscented-2-oz/p/507732

Hollister M9 drops:

https://www.edgepark.com/ostomy/deodorants-and-cleansers/deodorants/room-deodorants/hollister-m9-odor-eliminator-drops-unscented-8-oz/p/507717

Safe n' Simple's deodorant

https://www.edgepark.com/ostomy/deodorants-and-cleansers/deodorants/pouch-deodorizers/safe-n-simple-ostomy-appliance-deodorant-bottle-2-oz-unscented/p/rrsns40202

Also found these on amazon - don't know if it's a good idea in the pouch, but a thought to use when emptying:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Drop-Natural-Toilet-Neutralizer/dp/B0019SPNQ8

Hollister makes a travel size, but I don't know how well this deodorant works:

http://www.parthenoninc.com/products/Adapt-Lubricating-Deodorant-Travel-Packet-78501.html

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.