Weight Gain Challenges After Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
StarUK

Hi, if you like, I would gladly save a load of blubber and give it to you. My surgeon would be delighted! I can't imagine being underweight, although I'd like to borrow the issue for a few months. I really hope you find a way to sort it out.

Best wishes,

Trish

Mystified

I had my emergency surgery July 31, 2010. Unbeknownst to me, since I was brought to the hospital via ambulance, I had absolutely no idea of what was going on. I finally woke up a little off and on to yell for somebody to come change my wet bed.

I really didn't understand anything about what had happened to me and why. I was told that I had had 3 surgeries consisting of repairing my bowel, removing some of my colon, and then giving me a new pooper on the outside of my belly. I ended up in the hospital for 31 days and from that first day, I didn't realize that I had lost those 31 days from my life.

After getting home and going through physical therapy and doing things the nurses told me to do and all of the yada yada yada...whatever crap...the bags leaking or exploding on me...leaking down my legs with no warnings...I didn't know what the rest of my life was going to be like.

Then...I had mentioned my problem to somebody that I knew and they had told me to see this certain doctor that could undo what was done. I went to see him and he told me that all would be well. He would do the reversal after he repaired the hernia. Great!!! I was in the hospital for 5 days and came home. Now...instead of pooping in a bag on my belly...I can now poop in the toilet. Wow!!! What a big relief. I'm back to normal...oh no, I'm not!!! Instead of bags on the belly...I'm wearing diapers and pads because there are times I can't make it to the bathroom in time anymore.

One thing I think was just as bad as the other. Will there ever be a complete remedy?

Mystified (Barbie)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,451 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

diggs

Name of Shakes

Past Member

I had a lot of weight gain, but my oncologist said it was due to my taking Elavil. Going to see a therapist next week to keep off the Elavil. Does anyone have ideas on how to control anxiety without gaining weight?

Green Eyed Lady

You just made me laugh so hard regarding the "muffin top"!! I am a regular on this site, but have never inquired why I seem to be putting on so much weight! Back in 2008, I initially lost 35 lbs (6+ weeks in ICU/rehab after a total colectomy)! Since coming home 4 years ago, it's been a steady weight gain no matter what I do or don't eat. Talk about muffin top!! I've never weighed so much in my life. I've got to admit, though, that because of the weak abdominal muscles along the mid-line (13" scar) and constant hernia and adhesion formations, I'm not really able to do any type of exercise that's meaningful. Even walking is a chore and forget about lifting weights cause I can't lift more than 5 lbs...fun when you can't lift a gallon of milk anymore! All in all, it's great to be alive and having such a great support group here. Hey, if you find something that truly works to reduce the weight, please let me know! Thanks!!!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Green Eyed Lady

I wish I had better news, but I'm on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds which both cause weight gain...no matter what I eat or don't eat, I'm still packing on the pounds. My doctor feels it's because of the medications, but I'm not willing to do without them and run the risk of becoming a hermit or couch potato due to the depression. Maybe your doctor could change your anxiety medication? Some do not cause weight gain...let me know what you find out cause I'm in the same situation as you! Take care!

E

Hello, I have gained so much weight. I never was a small person other than when I was really sick. What are you drinking and eating.

Primeboy

What a nice old thread. Good reading it again and seeing posts from former members. Since my ileo surgery 7 years ago, I have lost about 35 pounds and manage to keep the weight off despite eating whatever I want. Food goes through me so fast that it does not have time to be completely absorbed and thus converted into fat; and, for some fortunate reason, I feel full with small portions. The only downside is that medications, especially time-released ones, aren't left in the system long enough to be most effective. As a result, one of my doctors has doubled the amount of one prescription. I would add just one caveat: drink as much water as you can. Dehydration leads to many bad issues.

PB

Bluejay
Reply to jjMonaVie

I have the same problem. I am always hungry and I have gained a lot of weight. I am about 75 lbs overweight. I would like to have more info on how you keep your weight down. I was going to get some diet pills and they told me I should not take them because they make you lose water and because of my stoma, I lose water anyway.

sunflowers
Reply to jjMonaVie

My concern is weight gain around the midsection--typically where I store extra weight. Now with the ileostomy, I'm not able to work out the way I used to, especially to lose weight in this area. I would appreciate knowing the shakes and low glycemic bars you have discovered? The other concern is craving sugar like cookies. Thanks for sharing, and I hope to hear from you! Happy to hear you are being successful!

Sunflowers