Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

White bumps on stoma

Posted by Bette, on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm
Hello-i am new to site.  I have had 2 cancers and result is i'm living but have permanent colostomy.  It is not quite a year old.  I am having white bumps on side of stoma midway.  I have now talked to 3 nurses.  One said call your surgeon (who is 3 hours from me).  ...another said oh, you should have your intern refer you to surgeon...oh, ok. Sooo  has anyone ever experienced this?  One nurse said I might have to have it removed with silver nitrate?  Just confused and feel alone??  Any ideas?  Thanks
Reply by butterfly48, on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm
Hi  I had some white dots on my stoma - left it alone and it went a way.  Most of my answers
have come from the people who sell me the products  holister or coloplast    best of luck Butterfly 48
Reply by ron in mich, on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm
hi bette i,ve had an ileo. for about 26yrs. now and occasionally i get white spots on my stoma, my doc. said they might be like when you get a cold sore inside your lip but not sure without seeing them. take care ron in U.P. MICH.
Reply by Immarsh, on Sat May 07, 2011 1:10 am
Hi Bette,

I ignored white bumps that came and went ....but were painful, just under the stoma.  Until one day, when I opened my pouch and found about a pint of blood.  I had a peristomal bleed, and those little white bumps I'd been ignoring were actually "ulcers", in the form of Pyoderma Gangarosum....Ulcerative Colitis on the skin.  It was cauterized, and then the real "fun" / infection began.  I had a hole in my belly that took months to heal.  it was only after the fact that I saw a really good surgeon at a really good hospital.  Previously, my Gastro, and a dematologist had no clue as to what it was.  So, don't get nervous....but do get it checked out.  I had them for years, with no side effects except pain...from irritation.....Like a Zitz.

I hope this helps.

Marsha
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.