Need help with bag sizing for ileostomy - seeking advice

Replies
Views
Jamie93

Hello, my name is Jamie Folkard and last year I had an end ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis. I have been experiencing problems with the size of the bag I now cut myself. I have talked to the stoma nurses on countless occasions about this, but they just keep saying there needs to be a gap to allow space for the stoma to move/grow. Has anyone else experienced the same problems and if so, could they either email me their answers or talk to me on this site via sending messages or 1-1 chat about this?

lottagelady

Hi Jamie - you don't say exactly what problems you are having - is it leaking? Are the nurses saying you are cutting it too large or too small? Think we need a little more detail in order to help answer your question .....?
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three

Hi Jamie93 ~ Perhaps try a flange like the Convatec Natura that does not require cutting but instead molds to the shape of your stoma.

Past Member

I would ask if you use the Eakin ring beneath the flange? They work absolutely wonderful for me. If you cut the hole a bit large, it is no matter with the ring, as it fills the gap and lasts about a week. Good luck.

CALYPSO
Jamie, your stoma will change shape. Gradually, it will settle down to a size you can depend on. When that is achieved, carefully measure your stoma and your stoma supplier will cut them to size for you.
When I used to cut my own, they were a bit tatty and dog-eared at times. When the supplier does it, it has smooth rounded edges, very professional. My stoma settled down to an oval shape. My supplier has a record of the size, 30mm long by 28mm across. They cut them no problems.
If your trouble is leaking, then finding the right appliance for you is essential. For months, I suffered in silence with leaky bags. The nights were always the worst to deal with. The stoma nurse sorted me out with a convex bag. No more problems, but it took some finding.
There is an answer, but I feel it should come from your stoma team. After all, they have all the latest technology at their fingertips.
Very best of luck, keep at 'em.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ballpeen

Jamie93

Are you talking about cutting the opening in the wafer to fit over your stoma?