Advice on applying Karaya powder for colostomy durability?

Replies
Views
dlgates

I've had my permanent colostomy for not quite three years and have used Hollister products almost exclusively. Recently, I have been having less than usual durability. I use a barrier ring on my wafer, and because of skin problems, I have also been using Karaya powder. I'd like some advice on the application of the powder, how much, whether it matters if it gets on the stoma itself, etc., etc.

Primeboy
Hi Dl,
I put powder on the reddish ring right around my stoma. It can get on the stoma itself, but that has never been a problem. Too much powder under the wafer, however, can weaken adhesion. Good luck!
P.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

littlewheel

I would have to ask what kind of skin problems you are having. Are you talking about right next to the stoma, or elsewhere under the wafer? If it is elsewhere, you might be having some yeast issues. If that is the case, an anti-fungal powder might be the answer.

loren4life

Thanks, Team!

A very timely medical thread as I have that red ring to deal with at the moment also, after 7 years of amazingly healthy stoma skin. There isn't much adhesion going on between the wafer and that red ring, at least long term. What other trade names does this Karaya powder go by? I'm ready to try it. My red ring doesn't at all resemble what yeast/fungal issues have looked like in the past. Any feedback on the trade names will be appreciated.

Loren

mooza

Could you talk to your stomal therapy nurse! Also, the stoma shouldn't matter if you get powder on it. It's your skin you have to take really good care of. There is another powder, the code is 3344E Cavion or CAVLLION. Sorry, I know mostly code numbers. I also use Coloplast pouches. It has a shallow base plate, one piece, and yep, sticks very well. Good luck.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
mooza

Oh sorry, I gave you the wrong code number for the powder. It's 25510 and it's from Convatec. Sorry, I was thinking about the skin barrier wipe. I think it comes in a spray as well, which you could try. I have always spoken to my STN, but if you can't, these 3344E are codes you will need from Australia. We import our supplies from the USA and around the world, so I couldn't see the packaging changing codes just for us. Sorry about my mistake. X

Past Member

I use the Convatec powder but sprinkle it around the stoma, then dust most of it off before fitting my backplate, and it's always worked well, better than Cavilon spray most of the time.

dlgates

Since I have been reading some of the other questions on the forum, I notice that some people talk about putting the barrier ring (I use Hollister Adapt) around the stoma before putting on the wafer/flange, whereas others talk about applying the ring to the barrier. I have been doing the latter all along and it hadn't occurred to me to put the ring on my skin first. Any special advantage one way or the other?

gutenberg
dlgates

Thanks, Gutenberg, that certainly makes sense. I'll try it next change-out!

tragicallydave
Re: Rings, Wafers, and Everything Else They Sell

I use Hollister too. 10 years-ish. Ever since they changed the packaging a couple of years ago, the flanges don't stick as well. About 1 in 10 do not stick at all. A few last only for a day or two.
If you even think it's starting to leak, plan on changing soon because they seem to just let go. I have the laundry to prove it.
I tried using the sticky rings and cutting them to fit every way... gobs of paste... powder everywhere, all the while leaking all over the place. Seems easy when the Ostomy Nurse does it, Thanks Deb and VGH. I tried every combination for a long time and after a while, it irritated my stoma. Eventually, I just gave up and now I just change the whole thing more often.

We should invest all our money in Hollister Corp as that business plan does well to exploit the weak, sick, poor, and voiceless. Great niche marketing, Hollister!

Don't forget to bring a towel!