Convex Wafer Recommendations?

Replies
Views
SJM622

My mom is only 3 weeks past her surgery. We are starting to have leakage now. I think it is because the stoma is not protruding as far out as it was. Does anyone have experience with convex wafers? If so, which company do you use? I have been getting samples from Hollister and Convatec. We like the moldable wafers from Convatec. Thanks.

Past Member

The Moldable Convatec are the best, but try a little bit of Adapt (Hollister) paste under the wafer first.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

littlejo

Hi, I use pouches from Pelican Healthcare. My stoma has retracted slightly and I find the flange very flexible and a good fit. I don't know whether they are available outside the UK, though. Good luck.

Bluezz

I used Convatec Convex as well for a year and they stopped most of the leaks. But I also used the Eakin seal with it. The two made the difference!
Good luck to your mom with getting the right one for her type of stoma.

Xerxes

SJM,

I use the Convatec moldable Durahesive wafer. Before switching to these, I used the Stomahesive wafer for 30 years. I find the Durahesive to be far superior. It forms a much tighter bond and it adheres for a much longer time than the Stomahesive. With the Stomahesive, I was lucky to get two days without changing. With the Durahesive, I get up to five days before I have to change it. Also, I have found that leakage with the Durahesive is practically non-existent.

X_

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tragicallydave
Hello, Lister.
mooza

I use Coloplast shallow convex one-piece drainable NO PASTE'S Eva. Do you have stomal therapy nurses? Eakin seals are great as well. Hope your mum gets all the help she needs and deserves xx. If the pouch is leaking, measurements with stoma and pouch should be correct xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Ridge
Using a Hollister flat surface for 4 years, I fought leakage on a constant basis, not to mention the wax skin surface coming loose and blowing waste without any warning. And I think we all know the burning that that can cause. Then, after some self-research, it became apparent my stoma at times was at belly level, and at others protruding out 3/4 of an inch. It didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that when it was lower it was blowing directly under the wax surface and breaking the bond.
In June 2010, I changed to a Hollister Convex, and used in conjunction with their Adapt paste, I am very pleased to announce not once since has it come loose unexpectedly and no more skin burns. Why? The convex surface curves in more snugly to the skin surface, the wax is much thicker and sturdier, it appears to have a better sticking bond, and you can get a small belt from them that holds it more tightly. I vote for convex, it has improved my life tenfold. Good luck.
dsmithsc91

I'm currently using the Convatec Stomahesive Convex Pouches which for me have been a big improvement over the Hollisters. I'm back to triathlon training and only get a couple of days wear due to sweating during running and biking. However, with the Hollister pouches I'd be lucky to get through a day without changing, so even two days is a big improvement. That being said, I have some samples of the Convatec Durahesive on the way to see if those improve wear time.

Good luck finding something that works well for your mom. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Cheers,
Dave

Past Member

New Hope is really good. I have been using their product for years. Nice run company and very helpful but you MUST see an OT nurse and order through your ostomy supply carrier such as Edgepark or other place. OT's can 'plaster cast' your stoma to get your exact fit then they send it to New Hope, you get a few samples, try them and if they work and no other adjustments are needed you can order. I have a stoma that keeps changing shape and is very close to the skin. I have had several adjustments and all have faired well with New Hope. Good luck.
-Chrissy

Ridge

PS: I found that the wax wafer only increases the problem by raising up the pouch from the protruding colon.

willow11

I was at my wit's end about three weeks after surgery in Jan 2010 when I started getting leaks. I think they called it "pancaking"! My stoma nurse suggested trying convex wafers as my stoma did not protrude from my stomach. No leaks whatsoever for the past 16 months - using Coloplast Easiflex Soft Seal baseplates. I use a two-piece system and change the bag whenever I need to, and the baseplate every two or three days. I shower with the bag on if it's empty, sometimes with just the baseplate, or sometimes with nothing if it's time for a change.

Past Member

Hi: I have used Convatec Assura #14175, a one-piece convex pouch, along with Hollister Adapt, #7806, a 4" barrier ring for under the convex area. I have used these for many years, having had a colostomy for 6.5 years. I have tried other pouches from different companies, but have always gone back to these.
Hope this helps!!

santabelle
Hi, I have used Coloplast 2-piece ostomy supplies. I personally don't think they work that well, but everyone is different. My ileum is the size of my thumb and sometimes is barely visible when removing the appliance. I am very thin, and I have a hernia where they removed the fistula which led to my colectomy. Many bumps and turns in the road. I think it is a matter of trial and error. I have very sensitive skin, so I have had numerous problems with the site, including ulcers. Ugh! I usually use Hollister for my monthly supply but still looking for a better fit! Any suggestions???

If any of you have any brilliant ideas of how to cope with a not-so-very-nice adhering ostomy wafer and non-latex, I would appreciate your response.
S
santabelle

Thanks for the tip, I will order some samples. My question is why are ostomy supplies so expensive and especially if they don't work!

Grammybec

I also use the Hollister Convex and find that even though I play golf in the hot humid heat in Florida, it sticks pretty good. The belt that Ridge talked about holds it tight to the body, which does help. If I'm going to be very active, I use medical tape around the wafer to make sure the hold is even stronger. The tape also helps in case of an unexpected blowout! Good luck.

SJM622

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are now trying the Convatec molded convex wafer. We need something easy for Mom (82) to get used to. Seems to be okay, so far.

mooza

Wow, I feel a bit guilty being from Australia. We get all our supplies free of charge, just $40 if you're not working, $50 a year. We automatically become members of an Ostomy Association. All pouches, hernia pads, belts, and wipes are free here. I wish I could help some people. Oh, and we pay $49 for having our supplies sent. I really am grateful for our scheme as I also volunteer working at the local Association. Good luck, guys! - Mooza