Experiences with Imuran for Crohn's?

Replies
Views
londonguy

My gastro dr. is recommending that I start treatment using the drug Imuran (Azathioprine). I have had Crohn's for over 30 years with an ileostomy, but I am currently in good health and have no serious symptoms.
I would like to hear from anyone else with Crohn's who has taken, or is currently taking Imuran. Has it helped reduce the onset of further symptoms of your Crohn's?

nogutz

Yes, I take this Azathioprine 50 mg daily. My understanding is that this drug stops your autoimmune system from attacking your own body. If that sounds right, without it, my body attacks itself. I've been on this since leaving the hospital in February 2008.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

londonguy

Thanks for your reply! Are you taking the drug due to Crohn's disease, and are you having any bad side effects? Also, do you feel it is stopping the occurrence of your previous symptoms? Thanks for your insight!

nogutz

Hi, I really can't say one way or the other, and yes, it is Crohn's related, I am sure. But when I went to the hospital the second time in an emergency, and stayed for 4 months and had two surgeries later, they said that I should have been on this all along. Like I said, it is for my autoimmune. So if I had been on it, maybe I would not have seen that 4-month vacation.

Past Member

I, too, take Imuran and also Remicade infusions every 8 weeks for my Crohn's disease. No side effects to taking Imuran at all (let's not get into Remicade). One, the other, or both has stopped an exacerbation that started in '08 and currently I am in remission. I continue to take my 50mg Imuran daily and the Remicade every couple of months to keep it that way.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
nogutz

Kat, I see you said you're on Remicade. I just started Remicade in Jan 2011. The doctor is saying that by my 5th or 6th infusion, I will see the difference. I just feel as though I am on hard drugs. Not too sure! But other people at the clinic swear by it. I think I am one of the few with an ostomy that takes this. It seems you're not sold on it either. I just wish I had more energy.