Need Help with Frequent Nighttime Bag Emptying?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
airforce1

Hey, you guys! I have had the right-hand side of ileostomy for 8 weeks. Things seem to be going alright, but I am waking up 4 times a night to empty the bag. Does anyone have this trouble?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Air Force,

It may not be that uncommon. Again, it depends on diet, how much you eat and drink, the types of food you eat and drink, and how late you eat and drink. It may also be due to an acclimatization of your gut to your new conditions. It takes time to "normalize."

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lynsie

Empty bag now 2x nite - used to be quite a few times. Had ileostomy last year. I am on disability income now. Could not imagine working because of many trips to washroom during the day. Had infection badly. I no longer have stomach muscles and wear a large hernia belt on top of things - which contributes to less physical activities. Doing fine, the odd mishap - still enjoy my cooler drinks. LOL

Primeboy
perkyberky

I have an ileostomy and sent in the very same question. Make sure you wear the largest size bag to bed and try not to eat too late before going to bed. I wake up only one time now and it is such a relief.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyWillard

I have the same issue. I'm up at least 4 times a night. I've had my ileostomy for over 5 years. I've heard of the high output bags but the company I get my supplies from says that I am already using the largest bag available. I don't eat past 6 at night. So I guess I'm just stuck with never sleeping through the night again. Which I have to say - sometimes makes me really grouchy! And since this is my biggest complaint, I count myself lucky!!

eddie

I too have an ileo. Maybe you could try to get a urostomy bag that would fit your barrier and then hook it to a urine bedside drainage bag at night (they hold about 3000cc's)? I don't know how much it would cost, but you may be able to get some samples until your body decides to slow down. This would only work with very liquid stool. It's a thought.

Eddie

eddie

I have had my ileo for about 8 years. My doctor told me that my small intestine would slowly start to take over for the colon and start absorbing more liquid, which it did after a few months. So hopefully, this will be the case for you. You might want to ask your physician about this. Good luck!!!!!
Eddie

Gothfairy

I've had my ileo for about 18 months now, although I am on my second stoma. I found that after both stoma operations, I was getting up a lot in the night, although I think a lot of it was psychological as I was terrified that the bag would leak in the night. Now I don't get up at all in the night, although I do only sleep for about 6 hours.
My one piece of advice would be to not have any fizzy drinks after about 6pm, as the gas in the bag can often make you feel like the bag is fuller than it is.

mooza

Yes, Kiwi. I do have to get up at night, and it makes me really tired. But try some ileo gel. It might help make the watery stuff more of a gel. But my mind thinks "GET UP." Got the raccoon eyes, darl. xxmooza Melbourne, Aust.