Need advice on colostomy bag odor control and heat sensitivity

Replies
Views
thisismyostomateid
Hi everyone! My husband had rectal cancer and has a permanent colostomy. He is not computer literate at all (lol) so I am posting for him. He uses a one-piece Coloplast bag, but we are looking for others' opinions. We have a few issues with this bag... the filter never seems to work. Does anyone have suggestions for odor control? And one more quickie... these past few days have been extra hot where we live (Maryland)... it seems as though the heat or humidity affect the bag? We notice way more odor although it doesn't appear to be leaking. Sorry to ask so many questions! This site has been the most informative we have found! We love it, and love the suggestions and advice! Thanks in advance for any help!
Tiff and Marty
Past Member

I've had a colostomy for several years now. Personally, I prefer the Convatec brand of supplies. When I must wear a pouch, I like the 2-piece system with the filter. Sometimes, I do notice an odor, but it's usually because the flange has not been applied properly, or the pouch has become a little frayed at the top. I usually just change the pouch. I've never had any problems with humidity or heat, and I come from way down in Alabama, where it is VERY hot! I also have gotten into hot tubs. Also, there is nothing like a really good hot shower. But mostly I irrigate, and don't wear a pouch often anyway. Has it been suggested to your husband that he irrigate? It's meant a world of difference to me! Hope this helps.

Tami

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

~traci~
Hi and welcome to both you and your husband! Its nice to see newbie post (even if there wife has to do it for him LOL!)
1.there are great products out there that help with the small I use
m9 Odor Eliminator Drops - 8oz. Highly effective in eliminating odors; safe Convenient; simply place drops of m9 into pouch before applying it Economical; a few drops per wearing is adequate to eliminate odor
Product available in 8 oz. (240ml) bottle - Sold single (1 Each) or case of 6 bottles.

Adapt Lubricating Deodorant - 8 oz bottle

Adapt Lubricating Deodorant enables a new level of confidence and security with a proven odor-neutralizer and pouch lubricant that helps keep the pouch interior clean. Lubrication eases emptying and helps prevent pouch static and sticking. Adapt Lubricating Deodorant features deodorant that works by neutralizing the odor, not a perfume or masking agent.

I have found this new osomy bag that might help you aswell its called
Ostomy Odor Products
Flat-D Introduces *New* Odor Containment Pouch Cover http://www.flat-d.com/ostomyproducts.htmlthis is ther link
you can also try some natural ways to reduce odour by:
1drinking lots of water to advoid constipation,kidney stones,headaches,dizziness,cramping and dehydration
2dont eat eggs they have acid and is odor producer if your planning not to use a deodrizant
3.beer may cause gas and odour
4.try to advoid chewing gum it ats air to the belly and produces gas
5dont use pepper pepper cause gas aswell
6drinking out if a straw adds air bubbles to the belly aswell
7 yogurt reduces odor and thickens stool

In the bathroom keep an squeeze bottle with water some detergant liquid dishsoap and and wash the bag before putting you deodorant

some people use homemade deodorant like mouthwash& ;ky jelly,asprin will work as well aswell bakingsoda Hope this helps and look though the forum there was a great post from a newbie not too long ago!~traci~
~traci~

Wash the bag thoroughly with soap and water, avoiding the use of hot water. After soaking the bag, gently clean it out with a bottle brush. Once clean, add three drops of mineral oil for easier clean up next time.

sbgm75
My solution for the times when my filter just can't keep up with the smell, a piece of duct tape over it. It's low tech yet very effective. The M-9 drops are also effective - of note though, I have to use way more than just 10 drops or whatever the bottle says for it to work... probably closer to 30-40 - so don't be afraid to use more if you get them and it doesn't seem to be working.

He also shouldn't be afraid to try the different products out there. The companies will send samples, and then a bit of it is trial and error I've found... and it took me a while to find the perfect combination of things...

I settled on the Hollister 2-piece system because I had a hard time mentally with emptying the bag each time. I also like just being able to snap it off and then snap on a new one... I wonder if that might help with the smell for him some too.

Good luck finding the right combination of things!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
funnygurl
Hi there:

Heat indeed does affect how much time your flange lasts. I sometimes battle heat rashes in the summer with a non-prescription powder called Mycostatin. I use a 2-piece Convatec system and the filter in a Convatec pouch will fail if it gets wet. Friends tell me this is not the case with other brands like Hollister. I use an odor eliminator called Nascent that works for me after 7 years of trying pretty much everything. It is available online from a US inventor/retailer. I have heard the same thing that you are being advised that if you use a lot of M (more than the recommended amount) it works.
Past Member
Hi. I had the same problems for a while. Another thing to try is baking soda - about a tablespoon each bag empty. It's cheap and easy to find.

I have been irrigating for about 9 months and won't go back to the "fill and empty" method unless I have to. It's not for everyone, but eliminates pretty much all odor, leakage, and skin problems. It might be worth trying out.
Past Member

Where can you purchase M-9 drops? Never heard of them.

Thanks,

Past Member
Greetings Tiff and Marty,

(From the great land down under!) I received my permanent Colostomy in 2003 following my 5th and so far final Spinal surgery. I too had colorectal cancer stage 3, and following the surgery had both chemotherapy and radiation treatment.

I use coloplast two piece Sensura appliances and also irrigate. The main reason for the Coloplast brand is because they supply the irrigation apparatus and they all match up together. I think that the two piece system is the easiest to manage, especially if you are out and about and need to change a bag. I always carry a "pocket kit" consisting of two bags, one base plate, two"nappy sack" disposal bags and an extra plastic bag as a final container and disguise. Wherever I can I use a disabled persons toilet because they usually have a baby change station in them and a disposal bin for nappies.

In my car I carry a bigger kit because we travel a lot and have been caught between toilets. Australia has large distances between towns and cities so a travel kit is important here. This kit consists of 5 bags, 2 base plates, two squeeze bottles of water (for cleaning the Stoma) a pack of nappy sacks a hand full of Super market carry bags, paper towel wipes and (DON"T LAUGH) a spare pair of underpants. I also have a small rigid cooler box intended for a six pack of cans. This is to store the removed bags until a proper disposal bin can be used. Please do not throw the waste to the side of the road or into bush land.

Base plates or even flanges can lift. I don't know of any sure fire fix for that other than replace it. I wash the site well wipe dry with paper towel and then a final dry with my poor suffering wife's hair dryer on the lowest heat. This has a good effect and I can get 4 days of safety with the base plate.

Irrigation is a life saver for me. I get 48 hours free from bag change. The procedure takes about 40 minutes every second day. Truly, it saved my sanity. I didn't handle my new method of toilet-ing very well at first, in fact I resented it even though it saved my life. I have of course come to terms with it now.

So, your husband is computer illiterate? Please don't be too hard on him, he has probably kept his sanity as a result! What on earth did I do with my time before computers? I have 3 of them and get to fix several others of relatives and friends. I am never bored with nothing to do!!!

Best of luck to you both

Doug.
bes0642

Tambone Hollister sells the M-9 odor control liquid. It works very well. Bob

gran pa jim

I would recommend you try Sensura 2-piece by Coloplast. I recently switched from using Convatec products after 5 years of battling leaks. I have been using this product along with an ostomy wrap, which you can buy at ostomysecrets.com. It's called the Ostomy Body Wrap and it can be worn over briefs to keep the bag from moving and to absorb body sweat. I wear mine 24/7 and they work great. My average wear time has increased from 3 days to 5 days in the past 6 months. The wraps are a little costly at $30.00 for one, but if you buy one and see the simple design, you could probably make one if you are handy.

sirbaldo

The problem you mention is very common. The odor can be helped by using pouch deodorant drops. Your ostomy supply carrier should be able to get these for you. I use a skin prep and powder on my skin before pouching. The skin prep pads usually are enough. I understand the heat and humidity problems. I live in south-central Michigan. I've had my ostomy for nearly 24 years.
If it will encourage your husband, I hunt, fish, and swim with my ostomy. No serious problems. You really have to have a sense of humor with this condition. My faith is another thing that has helped me get through the worst of it.
Hope this is of some help to you. Take care and God bless.

Past Member

"Filter" is just a fancy way of saying "hole".