ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today
Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample

Ostomate's Viral Bikini Photo

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,681 Members
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Here's a link to an article that appeared in the Yahoo news feed today:

https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/young-woman-s-brave-colostomy-bag-bikini-picture-celebrated-by-internet-152503391.html

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Beautiful photo! ...I am very proud of her xoxo

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:37 pm

I saw this too, on AOL and tried to post it, but you beat me to it, Three.  Bravo to this young woman for the courage to bare it all.  I forwarded it to my daughter in Portland - she has always been very sensitive on the subject of my colostomy.  Now, in a turn of events, she is dating a young man with Chrohn's (no ostomy, on prednisone).  Education - that's the key to acceptance.   Smile   Pinky

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Good for her! Smile

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 pm

She is not the first young person I have seen do this, however, she is the first to go viral.  There was a young woman when I first joined here who posted pics of herself in a bikini.  There is also a young woman on You Tube who shows how she decorates her bags with designer duct tape to dress it up a bit when she is wearing her bikini on the beach with her friends.  If I still had a body like that, you know I would be doing it!!!!!  However, my bikini days are long over.  Good for her!!!!!smile

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:50 pm

I have never heard of having two colostomy bags. Does anyone know why this would be done and for what reason? I am totally perplexed. (I have had colostomy and ileostomy bags, but not at the same time.)

Past Member
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:35 pm

You go girl...brave & beautiful!

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Very very brave of you... While I would like to be an inspiration to others with an ostomy since I have had mine over 40 years, I could never do that. But then again, if I had the bod, I might.

This is great to bring Chrons, Colitis and Ostomy to light and hopefully can inspire more charitable giving to the cause and finding a cure.

Sorry to hear that you are still suffering with the disease and I will keep you in my prayers to get better.

Blessings from Redondo

Past Member
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:09 pm
Wilski wrote:

I have never heard of having two colostomy bags. Does anyone know why this would be done and for what reason? I am totally perplexed. (I have had colostomy and ileostomy bags, but not at the same time.)

There was a discussion on facebook about why the two bags, some conclusions were it could be an ileostomy and the small bag for maybe a fistula, or a urostomy and a colostomy, just by the look of it I would say the former.  Sometimes a fistula forms away from the ostomy and still needs a cover.

Stunning picture though, nice ink!

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:24 pm

All one. Can say is thank you for helping people see & start to understand what an ostomy is. Marion.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:26 pm
WOUNDED DOE wrote:

Beautiful photo! ...I am very proud of her xoxo

Last edited by Spring on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:07 am
Good to see this girl just carrying on with her life as normal and why not, it's the other people that need to change their mind set. If they don't like what they see then they do not have to look.

Here's a link to an article that appeared in the Yahoo news feed today:

https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/young-woman-s-brave-colostomy-bag-bikini-picture-celebrated-by-internet-152503391.html

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:39 am

I guess I am of a different opinion than others.   I make every effort to keep my ostomy covered when I am in a bathing suit.   I have no desire to be looked upon by others wondering "what is that", nor do I have interest in explaining it.   I feel my ostomy is a personal item, like my underwear.  It's meant to be covered up.    This is not to say I don't respect her choice to do it or others support of it, its just something I personally would never have any desire to do.

Past Member
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:31 pm
spinbot wrote:

I guess I am of a different opinion than others.   I make every effort to keep my ostomy covered when I am in a bathing suit.

I would add that I think a big part of the reason this story is out there is because of who it is and more to the point, how she looks. If it was middle-aged person looking like a middle-aged person (the clear majority of ostomates), the reaction would be, shall I say, more "muted"? In fact it would probably elicit more "ewws!" and "NSFW!" than praise and encouragement from the general public. IMHO, of course, but I think I know how the world works in the Internet Age. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.