Re-designing irrigation sleeves

Replies
Views
Bill

Background:

Having recently had a colostomy I am trying to find the most efficient management techniques.

Continuously changing bags and /or emptying them is not a viable proposition in terms of time of convenience. I am therefore opting to irrigate and have been sent some equipment in order to achieve this end.  Unfortunately I reacted adversely to the adhesive on the irrigation sleeves which made me quite sore despite trying both  barrier spray and cream.

Being both a pragmatic and inventive character I have now resolved the problem below.

The prototype:

(I have photos of this but this blog doesn't seem to want to enable the download)

The prototype involved cutting the rim round the base of the bag, removing the protective material and sticking the Coloplast ‘Click' 13305 bag to the Dansac 950-35 sleeve.

I also made an equally successful prototype with an ordinary bag (not a 'click') but this means making a new one up each time as the adhesive is only designed for one-off use. Whereaas the Click system allows for changes of bag. It also allows for washing the sleeve and reusing it if ever there is not time to make another fresh device.

I almost forgot to mention an obvious point; the sleeve needs to be turned inside out in order that the adhesive is on the appropriate side to stick on the bag.

Note: There is  a great utube clip of a guy in Australia who shows you how to irrigate and he obviously uses the same sleeve over and over.

The advantages:

I like the Coloplast 'click' system because it gives easy access to the stoma and it is so much easier to change the sleeve for a bag after the irrigation procedure. I also like the Coloplast bags because (with protective spray) I don't have the same problems with adverse reactions to the adhesive.

This adaptation gives me the advantage of not having to change the base plate (twice for the irrigation procedure) and not having to stick the sleeve directly to my skin.

I left the back of the bag in position rather than remove it as this acts as a shield and guides the waste down the sleeve as well as stopping the splash upwards from the stoma when evacuation takes place. (This is sometimes like a mini-volcano erupting!)

The bag has to be cut more than half way around at the base so that I can gain access to the stoma with the irrigation cone.

The width of the sleeve above the bag is about right for easy access. However, the sleeve could ideally be tapered below the bag (as illustrated by the use of Selotape).   The tapering  of the sleeve makes it easier  to wash the waste down with water from the top end of the sleeve.

Obviously I can continue making up these devices for my own use. However, I think they may be just  as useful to other people with this problem. I have therefore sent the suggestion  and prototype to Coloplast.  Hopefully Coloplast will consider whether they could make such a device.

PS: I have also managed to produce a successful prototype to resolve the frustrating and annoying problem of excessive mucus emanating from the anal stump.

This is on a previous blog

Best wishes

Bill
Sh@tHappens!
Hi Bill,

I was just wondering if you have checked into the other irrigation sleeves?? I use the Coloplast sleeves and they just click onto either your barrier or a faceplate held on by a belt. If you are already using the Coloplast barrier all you need to do is order the sleeve that fits your barrier/wafer and when you are done just snap your bag back on. I have been using the Coloplast sleeves with great results since I started irrigating and if you clean them after they can last for quite a while!!

Good luck,
Kellie
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Thank you very much for this for this most useful information.

I started 'inventing' a sleeve for myself only after I got nowhere with my enquiries at Coloplast and Charter Healthcare. The people I spoke to only seemed to know about the one sleeve that I was having trouble with.

You would think that they would have all the information about all their products at the press of a keyboard button and be willing to let people know what products they have available. However, I have noticed that sometimes products are available in one country but not another.

Would it be possible for you to let me know the reference number on the sleeve that you use and I'll try again with Coloplast.

Thanks again

Bill
Sh@tHappens!
Hi Bill,

The sleeve I use is the Coloplast Assura irrigation sleeve product # 12836 and they are the click style you are looking for. I hope this helps!!

Good Luck,
Kellie
Bill
Hello Kellie,

Thanks for the updated information.  I've been in touch with Coloplast and it seems that they do not market this product in the UK.  For this company it seems that it is not a 'small-world'.

Also, with looking at the product online it may be that it will not necessarily fit onto the 'click' system that they market here.

For the time being it looks as though I'm going to have to carry on making up my own sleeves. I'm not too bothered about that but it did occur to me that not everyone would have the time, patience, skills or inclination to do this sort of thing for themselves.

Anyway, I had this bizarre concept  that making stuff so that other's need not do so was the reason that manufacturers were in business!

I quite liked the look of the Hollister system that was illustrated by the guy on utube so I'll ask my daughter in New Zealand if she will send me one to try.

Once again thanks for your help on this.

Best wishes

Bill

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister