Cramps

In this discussion
Replies
Views
airforce1
ihave had them before and it was a blockage but this time the bag is still empyuing not as much the cramps are ..... sore cant type that work any help why doesnt feet like blockage
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

willow11
Sorry I don't have an answer, but I was just about to ask people about the same topic. About 6 months after surgery for colon cancer (and ending up with a permanent colostomy) I was awake all night with severe crampy pains going right through my middle. Better in the morning, but my doc said it was not a blockage or anything to do with my operation... she said it was probably muscular, and that made sense at the time because I had been rooting under the bed for a lost book and thought I felt something twist!
However, since then I have experienced similar crampy spasms every few weeks - sometimes lasting only a few hours, sometimes two or three days. During this time my bag is empty, and when things move again it is pretty slow and undramatic. The next time I saw my doctor she said that the gut is sensitive and with the type of inteference I've had with surgery it will be prone to going into spasms. She prescribed Buscopan to relax the muscles whenever it happens.
I don't find that the Buscopan helps very much....... Just wondering, do others experience these pains regularly - and what helps in the way of drugs or exersize?
By the way, I find the pain slightly eased if I lie on my right side in bed. Don't know why.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Yuck...I'm so-o-o sorry. I've had spasms which were as painful as a blockage, but never lasted for long periods of time.....

;I DID have symptons of extreme pain reminiscent of labor pains...They hit like a bolt of lightening, that would bend me over every 5 to 3 minutes apart, lasting only a few seconds. After the 3 rd day..I'd had enough and went to the doctor only to find out I was suffering from PANCREATITIS !!! I was in the hospital for 10 days, fed only TPN and fluids, no food, no water, restricted to only fluids for a week after coming home. It sucked !!!

Have you talked to your doctor? You may need blood test just to rule out infection buddy. Don't suffer if possibly there is a medical solution, okay? Please keep us informed and I wish you relief...the sooner the better !!!

BEG
Tic Tok
Hi,

You may be Colic. I had this very same problem, I talked to my Doctor.. was prescribed with tablets to treat Colic.. it worked a treat. I pretty much take the tabs on a daily basis. Although the pains were sharp n shooting, I have not experienced any labour like pains tho which I have never experienced but can only guess it to be severe pain.

I hope you get the problem sorted..
~traci~
Hi airforce1! Dont forget we have ET Online: ostomy-related questions in the forum and we forget that the ET nurse is always on call on in the forum!!! Try asking the questions there...she might beable to answer any emergancy pain questions!! I hope you feel better soon!!~traci~

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
godswoman
If you have bloating with the cramps, it coud be an internal hernia, which my doc said was caused by adhesions from the surgery. I have an ileostomy. If I have run of the mill cramps, I find a cup of tea can help sooth my insides and get things moving again.
airforce1
thanks heaps for the relys the cramps are getting worast but the bag is still emptying
~traci~
My friend I hope all is well ! Did you get to the doctor to have it checked out??? All my best ~traci~