Dealing with heat

Replies
Views
Bosco

I am having a very difficult time keeping my appliance attached when I get hot. If I am outside for only a short period of time, I sweat under the flange and the adhesive combined with sweat turns to "slime" and everything comes off. Does anyone have ideas, suggestions, recommendations? I have tried paste, no paste, barrier ring, no barrier ring, and sure seal rings. I don't want to sit inside all summer. Ideas please!

Product used: Coloplast Assura, 2 piece.
mild_mannered_super_hero

I have no troubles in hot, humid Kentucky. A few questions... Do you use Dial soap when you wash the area? Do you use skin prep? Do you use the "Eakin" rings (or one of the ones sold under other brand names)?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Bosco, do you tape around your wafer or use a belt that might hold it in place for you? Good luck.

Primeboy

Hi Bosco. I think you might want to try different products to see what works best for you. I am an average "sweater" but I can be out golfing in 102 degree weather for several days with the same flange, and no problems. I don't use any adhesive, only a strip which I fold around the opening. Check out Hollister and other manufacturers. They will all send you free samples. Good luck!

Ostomate & woundr

I do live in the Texas heat and yes the slime problem does exist there are a couple of possible solutions first of all let me introduce myself I'm your friendly neighborhood ostomy nurse I live near Austin Texas and I too got my ostomy in 2009 for the same reason,most awesomest do not know how to use powder properly specifically karaya powder which is also known as stoma powder it is not the same as talcum powder or cornstarch or anything like that those will actually make an appliance fall off faster than anything karate powder is a type of natural rubber from the chicle tree if you've ever heard of Chiclets gum you have an idea of what I'm talking about you can actually make a Skin barrier out of layering powder if you know how what you need to do is dust your area with powder and then moisten your finger and tap the powder down all over where your flange will go and make a couple of layers of powder and a little bit of water and it'll be very very sticky but you should still have enough absorbency in the powder I'll try and make a video and show how to do this but I have dialysis today so not today tomorrow morning perhaps I will do my best but yes the Texas heat can be beat

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister