Struggling with Obstructions after Surgery - Need Advice

Replies
Views
mipsen

3 years and counting - YAH WHOO! Only had one blockage - and that was my own fault for being a little piggy at Thanksgiving! My first holiday meal after 3 loooooong years of not being able to eat! But I have since learned that exercise and lots of water really help. And there is a balance of too much fiber and not enough. You will find what is perfect for you! Don't get frustrated!

Take care and keep the faith! It is just so amazing to be alive and not in hospitals anymore!

Hugs - Marilyn

Past Member

Feel so very bad for you. I have had an urostomy for almost 4 years and have been where you are. It is still rough, but I've moved on and deal with it as best I can.

I too have obstructions, in fact was in hospital 3 weeks ago, so it happens with both kind of surgeries. Just don't let them operate unnecessarily, like they wanted to do on me. I keep up with as much as I can of facts and experiences from other people. Some doctors will take advantage - fortunately I have good doctors that I trust.

Don't talk about giving in - just do the best you can, talk to others - everyone has helping points to share. You are right, these surgeries do cause other problems, now I am seeing a kidney doctor - seems one of my kidneys is not operating at 100% so am now going to have to face whatever this turns out to be.

I guess the way we have to think of it is that it's better than the alternative - lost my sister-in-law one year ago to cancer, she never had a chance last week my husband lost his best friend who was in his 60's also to cancer, so am just glad to be here.

You are so right, your life changes drastically, it revolves around your ostomy, changing bags, when, where will you have an accident, I can relate believe me, but again just do the best I can - I know I've been in the hospital many times with problems related to this surgery, but it's part of our body that we deal with from now on.

Don't give up, enjoy your little dog - I have a Maltese and he's the love of my life - makes me smile all the time!

You are not alone, there are many of us out there and some are young, young people who will deal with this from their teens or younger. At least we waited till we were older to get this!

It's very hard not to get depressed, but get some help if you need it - I did for a while and it did help. Also, all the chat lines help.

You just wake up and look outside - plant some flowers - something beautiful to look at and take your little dog for walks - enjoy what life we all have left.

You take care - don't give up!!!

Shirley

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bunkie

Hi guys.. Thanks a lot for all your input.. I know a lot of you can relate to these very bad down times.. I will keep trying although I know my life will never be the same.. Just have to learn to live very differently.. Again thanks for caring.. Judy

bklyn girl

Hi, if you need an excellent doctor, let me know. I have one of the best surgeons in NY! Hang in there, it will get better! xoxo

Bunkie

Hi.. If you have the name of a good doctor in NY, I would love to have it as I am having so much trouble.. I can hardly eat without a great deal of pain since this last surgery in May.. I was going to a surgeon in NY Presbyterian Cornell.. I had one of my surgeries there before the ilio to repair a large hernia and he also had to lift all my small intestines up with a large piece of mesh holding them up.. He also put me on injections for a year to see if I could control these remaining bowels but it didn't work well.. So I had the ileo in NJ in Cherry Hill.. UMDNJ.. Not even 1 month later, I had this severe obstruction from adhesions going almost all the way to the stoma.. Also removed a small dead mass of fat and intestine.. I was cut from bottom to top.. Still so much pain.. Had the ileo in March.. It is almost 4 months and I can't gain a pound because it is just too painful to eat.. Not so much the stoma but inside my abdomen.. Maybe there are more adhesions.. Just not livable.. Thanks for your concern.. Judy

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
three
Hi Bunkie ~ When I saw this, I thought of the relationships you and many others on this site have with their pets:

eddie

Just think if all of us could love each other as our dogs love us, there would be true peace on earth!

Eddie

ron in mich

Hi all, it brings me to tears as I read this. My Beagle/Basset mix, Dazee, is at her last legs and failing.
She can't hardly walk and is always thirsty, but always ready to go for a walk. I wish I had her strength. Ron in Mich.

Missymo

Hi. Bunkie. I thought my urostomy would be the start to my new life! How wrong was I?? I live in pain still after 6 years!! The strange thing is it's not actually the "bag". It just seems bowels and stomach pains let me down big time&hearts

Cappabarstar

Yes!! Many times! I've had my ileostomy since 2005 and it seems like within the last 5 years I've had more partial bowel obstructions than normal. Long story short, ask your doctor for a script of Lactulose!! It's a coconutty, not bad tasting at all stuff that I drink the minute I feel constipated. About 30ml of it, so not much at all. I keep it in the fridge. It literally starts flushing me out within 20-30 minutes! It has been a godsend instead of having to go to the ER and wait for hours, get flushed with IV fluids, etc. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it's worth a shot! Good luck to you!!

Past Member

Hi Bunk, I've had a J-pouch for 19 years and have been obstructed only 6 times, but that was horrifically painful and required hospital stays. I've learned the foods to avoid but still get blocked. After surgery, the bowel shut down and led to distension and vomiting. It took a full year at least for things to settle down and work semi-normally. I never got blocked until 2 years after surgery. You might want to pester the surgeon and get answers as to why that's happening so soon. Hope all is well otherwise. Rob.

Jayne
Reply to Primeboy

Hello Prime Boynn
Please, are you able to tell me what the orange star denotes which appears against your profile icon on this post?
I have noticed the orange star on one or two other profile icons while reading the posts on this site - but the connection or the meaning of the orange star has not become apparent to me.

I wish you a good day.
Thank you
Jayne