In this discussion
Replies
Views
three
Waiter: How's your steak?

Diner: Tastes like #%$ @ excrement!!!

Steak from Human Excrement: Is it safe?
Story by Rachael Rettner, staff writer for My Health News Daily

The mere idea is stomach-churning: creating food from human feces. But researchers in Japan say they have done just that. They have synthesized meat from proteins found in human waste, according to news reports.

While the concept of chowing down on steak derived from poop may not exactly be appetizing, we wondered: is this meat safe? In theory, yes, experts say. But the meat must be cooked, which will kill any noxious pathogens before you eat it.

"In the food safety world we say, 'don't eat poop,'" said Douglas Powell, a professor of food safety at Kansas State University. "But if you're going to, make sure it's cooked."

The Japanese researchers isolated proteins from bacteria in sewage. The poop-meat concoction is prepared by extracting the basic elements of food protein, carbohydrates and fats and recombining them. The meat is made from 63 percent proteins, 25 percent carbohydrates, 3 percent lipids and 9 percent minerals, according to Digital Trends. Soy protein is added to the mix to increase the flavor, and food coloring is used to make the product appear red.

The researchers came up with the idea after Tokyo Sewage asked them to figure out a use for the abundance of sewage in mud, Digital Trends says. Powell is not familiar with the researchers' method, but said he guesses that they are first heat-treating the sewage before they reap its resources.

Powell said the idea is not all that different from eating plants that have been fertilized with manure or other excrement, because the nutrients in the poop become part of the plants. "Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with this," Powell said. "It could be quite safe to eat, but I'm sure there's a yuck factor there," he said.
However, Powell said there is the potential for cross contamination in the laboratory where the poop meat is made. That's why it's a good thing the meat will eventually be cooked. But what if the final product was not going to be cooked?

"I wouldn't touch it, " Powell said.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
I didn't read the whole post, word for word. As soon as I got the story line I was so repulsed

that I skimmed over a few more lines and then just quit. I don't know the purpose of posting

something like that but i hope I don't see any more like it.

Utterly disgusting!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
WHAT????

Should this be in the 'just for laughs' section?

I believe that is where I will keep knowledge of this idea.
bes0642
Jack I agree with you scanning it was all I could do. Like you reading it word for word! UK!UK!
Utterly disgusting!! To say the least. Bob
Past Member
GROSS !!!!! ................................Just saying !!!

BEG

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gutenberg
OK Three, what gives, finally I'm speechless. Just not like you without a reason.
three

Expired Post

Past Member
Just a case of be careful what you eat I guess, you never know what it is!

In some Asian countries it is quite common to fertilize vegetables with human manure (and then they wonder why E coli type gastrointestinal diseases are so common, honestly).

I certainly won't be lining up for a plate of Waygu beef any time soon!
gutenberg
Thanks, faith restored, without the answer, Ed
three

Expired Post

;
texazgal
I sure hope I never have to live in a world where eating this would be necessary. Would def become a vegan. Talk about nasty recycling!!! ugh
Past Member
It seems we have a consenses .... NO....
Past Member
Need that spell checker....
gutenberg
Good one Dawneagle, like what part of NO don't you understand. BUT:
This is indeed a repulsive thoughtprovoking idea that should have no meaning in the real world but there are other realities which I will not delve into too deeply but just relate a story I heard from an old friend that goes back to WWII and he was held captive by, no, I will not name the enemy, but he had told me of the prisoners eating maggots just for the protien to stay alive and he said one cannot really comprehend how far a human will go to survive, and survive he did and when he died he gave his body to science with his amazing story. its a repulsive story, then again, using corn as a fuel when so many in the world are starving is repulsive, and round and round we go, Ed
Past Member
Thank you so much Ed. I am not sure where the world is going but remain optomistic. In spite of my rant just moments ago on Cymbalta question.
Past Member
Dawn,

Go to you tube, type in "I want a spell checker" a site will pop up..............just pick out the one you want,

The one in here, (top of "reply"page a little square with a,b,c in it doesn't work, won't install for me
Past Member
My final comment on this subject:

Remember the movie "Soylent green", Charlton Heston and Burgess Merideth?