Need advice on eating fruits & veggies without blockages!

Replies
Views
Gothfairy

I was wondering if anyone could advise how I can eat fresh fruit and veg without having problems.
I cooked some vegetables the way I was told to by my stoma nurses (boil the hell out of them until they are really soft) but then spent most of the night changing my bag as the vegetables caused a blockage.
I am now not eating any fresh fruit or veg as I don't want to risk the consequences but I am seriously beginning to worry about my nutrition.
Please help!!

mooza

Wow, I have an ileostomy and I eat and (sometimes suffer), but I eat vegetables and leafy green salads. Chew, chew. Maybe you need to go to a nutritionist... I did. Shouldn't have bothered. They said, "Oh wow, so many ops. You need counseling." So, I have chosen to eat whatever I like. Please get the right help though. I have ATTITUDE... XXMOOZA.

FYI, if you are a newbie, maybe you have to wait for these kinds of foods. I've been around awhile (stoma-wise).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eddie

Try potatoes, bananas, and other fruits and vegetables. They help thicken the stool. I also try not to eat them before bedtime because you're right, you are up all night! Been there, done that. Ha!

Eddie

gutenberg
three
Hi Gothfairy ~ I don't understand your words "spending most of the night changing the bag as the vegetables caused a blockage" when I have a blockage nothing comes out of me as it's stuck inside before the blockage?

On another point, if you "boil the hell out of" fruits and/or vegetables, you will destroy most of the heat-sensitive nutrients. Have you ever considered using a juicer? I really enjoy mine, and I even add some of the nutrient and fiber-dense pulp to other foods I eat.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Snowwhite

Chew the hell out of things. I actually "eat" some fruit and spit it out. At least I can curb cravings. Good luck.

jjMonaVie
Boiling the hell out of fruits or vegetables gets rid of any nutrients.

Here are some links to check out.
http://youtu.be/lGfTOiCCBcE?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /o:p/o:p
o:p/o:p
Food Matters! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DOQ6Xhqsso:p/o:p
How RVL Works! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwOR6sgqGeA

I started using MonaVie this January, I am a third-year ileo and my life has changed because of MonaVie. I also have some info in the classifieds.

Let me know if you would like to talk about MonaVie. It truly is an amazing nutritional beverage.
I love what it has done for me.
beatrice
Oh, I hear ya -- I miss my fruits and veggies!

I can eat the side leaf part of romaine lettuce (not the more solid spine part of the leaf) - thank goodness.

No way can I process any 'skin' on fruit or veg. Even some of the fruit flesh - like pear, apple - causes problems.

Steamed carrots, potatoes, a little bit of cauliflower/broccoli (gas), canned peas/carrots -- okay.

With fruit, I'm limited to canned mandarin orange and banana.

I find it so interesting that people with the same operations/parts left can process foods so differently.

Since I've had blockages (1 major one that resulted in a nasal gastric tube) -- I err on the side of caution with all I eat.

Although it's not the same as getting the nutrition from food, I take vitamins daily (A, E, D, C, Omega 3).
jrsulli
Have you tried fruit and veggie smoothies? Google them. You can find some pretty good recipes.