Pains

In this discussion
Replies
Views
boss

I had surgery 2 years ago for colorectal cancer. Every once in awhile I get pains in my bottom where I had the surgery. Is that normal??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,105 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I get them occasionally too. I guess it becomes even more sensitive after all the surgery. The funny thing is that sometimes I still get that "anxious" feeling as if I need to go to the bathroom, but I have had an ileostomy for four years now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Whoa
Nurse
Hi Boxx and Elzie,

You didn't mention what type of surgery you have and the disease requiring surgery. The answer would probably include the same info. Yes, I have patients that have the symptoms you guys mentioned.

If the rectum is retained post colectomy for any reason, it is possible to get inflammation in the area resulting in pain for a number of reasons. This can cause symptoms of urge to defecate or pain.

If the rectum has been completely removed, possible (but not all-inclusive) pain reasons could be wound not healed, abscess deeper inside, nerve endings irritated, or organs can move around causing pressure/pain. It is possible to get a herniation in the area too.

If your small intestine or colon has been connected to the rectum after cancer or partial colon removal, strictures are a possibility and can cause pain.

For any pain, I would suggest going back to either your gastrointestinal physician or colorectal surgeon to check it out.

Hope this helps.