Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,228 members

Green output

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 pm
sometimes my output is green i have gallstones i wonder can that make your output change color ? and when its like that really thick.  of course my output is different from everyone else cause of all the stuff its mixed with cause i have liver disease that i was born with i wonder if this is the bile thats coming out and if its green its not all the time green but its more latley and now i am getting worried
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm
When mine is green it is usually accompanied by slow or no output. Meaning that if I am blocked up, it will most likely be green when it starts to move again. It is also usually accompanied by a steel odor. Go figure......
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Let me add, NEVER in my life could I ever have imagined I be having full conversations about my poop. Kind of makes me chuckle a bit.
Reply by Snowwhite, on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 pm
Hi. Green poop......lol. Did you ever think we would be discussing this?? I get that is I drink blue gatorade, Blue candy or anything with dye coloring in. Call teh stoma nurse if it continues. z
Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:01 pm
After my Urostomy op. my Stoma Nurse told me " Dont forget , if you eat asparagus, your WEE will come out Green----Well I havnt eaten any in 2 years so i guess I'll never Know!!
Reply by budd002, on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:41 am
The liver constantly secretes a bright green fluid called bile into the small intestine or it is stored in the gallbladder.
Bile is needed to absorb fats and fat soluble vitamins. It also helps to soften stools and is responsible for giving stools their characteristic brown color.
As bile makes its way through the intestines, it progressively changes color from green to yellow to brown, due to the action of bacteria in the large intestine on the bile salts.
Green stool often indicates that food has passed through the intestines faster than normal (called decreased bowel transit time), before it could be changed from green to brown.
Reply by mazz, on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am
hi tatr love long time no talk had reversal of stoma when ok just had a blockage twice but touch wood been ok had further surgery to remove more cyts and one of my overys due to the endmeanrosis  back at wok monday. how are you and how you copeing
Reply by mazz, on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:32 am
hi all when i first had my stoma it was green poo the doctor told me this was due to it being bile coming out you need to eat more because the food goes through your body alot quicker if you have a iliostomy done it doesnt have to travel all the way through the colon so thats why its green and if you dont eat you can be sick as well and that is green too it will settle down in time.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 pm
thanks for the reply now i feel not so freaked out i thought maybe it had to do with the liver was not sure

i called my surgeon about this issue he was not sure what it was either i am getting somewhat annoyed with him when i ask questions over the phone he will not give me direct answers instead he says it possible i just would like to slap people when they say that.  

my next appt with him is in july maybe i can say that all  i am trying to do when i call is just trying to figure out what is normal with my ileostomy so when something new comes up i don.t freak out. sometime i think doctors think i am trying to tell them how to do their job or i think i know better than them men with their stupid egos
Reply by mazz, on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 am
no problem pop corn if there is anything else ask me i been there and come through it all its quite scary at first but things do get better. I didnt know i was having a ilestomby until i woke up from surgery and had to adapt fast. but i always got the answers from surgeons and doctors i wouldnt take no for an answer and kept at them till i did get the answers. some of the mediacl professions are useless i dont care. Tell you whats good for firming you up crisps and marshmellows are great too. hope you feel bit better about things soon. keep in touch will help where i can. not got the bag anymore had a reversal done just before xmas. i had two blockages but touch wood all seems fine now. but had to have surgery again 4 weeks ago to remove overry and scare tissue. I suffer with endmeanrorsis which keeps growing and connecting everything to gether that is why i had to have part of my bowel removed due to it had the dieased right through it and was rotten. im hopeing now they have removed cysts overy and tissue it might slow down abit with only haveing one overy il never have kids but im over that id rather have my health back. i know things can get u down they did me but keep strong and your chin up keep smiling
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:19 pm
i know its nothing to worry about i am not talking a little green its so green almost black

of course i did drink some grape juice tonight and pomagrante juice and its been really gassy tonight

i am trying to find a ostomy nurse in my hometown had not had any luck yet
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.