Beverages and Crohn's: What Works and What Doesn't?

Replies
Views
LogicalLogan
Hello...
I was just wondering if there are any beverages that give you a hard time? I have Crohn's and my ileostomy for 2 months (on the dot), and have experimented with coffee, tea, lattes, beer, hard liquor, milkshakes, juice, etc. I'm still drinking coffee once a day, as it doesn't hurt my stomach at all.

V8 juice has been a great way to get vegetables and some added salt at the same time. If any of you have Crohn's and an ostomy, this is a great drink because one 355 ml can has 3 servings of vegetables, but without the skin. The added salt also helps you retain water and you need that since you aren't using that large intestine of yours.

The only type of beverage that hurt my guts was a Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks, and I suspect that it's from the cinnamon. I'm considering myself pretty lucky that I'm able to drink a good variety of bevvies.

How about you guys? Which drinks are agreeable with you? Which disagree?
Xerxes

For what it is worth, I have trouble with any form of chocolate drink.

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

austen

Hey Logicallogan, I had my ileostomy 3 days before you. I was diagnosed with U.C. three weeks before it. Anyway, the only drink I'm finding hard is my most loved one: GUINNESS! It's fine when I'm drinking it, but my god, the next day I want to puke all day, no matter if I had only one pint the night before. I'll just have to be a man and keep on drinking it. Ha Ha.
Other than that, no problems yet. Thank god.
Best of luck, man.

lynsie

No problems! Enjoy my weekend coolers! Don't drink coffee, occasional Tim Hortons - think milkshakes just provide gas - still enjoy same foods. Love cucumbers, popcorn even!! - been year anniversary of ileostomy! Just chew foods thoroughly, usually one big meal, or tiny meals!

jjMonaVie

No problems for me either. Feeling very fortunate. I can eat most fruits and veggies. I drink MonaVie nutritional beverage, the shakes and juice, because I was not absorbing enough nutrients and felt tired and lethargic...not anymore. I wish everyone was as lucky as us.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dee05
Nothing so far.. I have had my permanent ileostomy since May of last year and anything goes.... I love to have the occasional nice cold beer on a warm day and only problem: gas.....
LogicalLogan
Ahh Guinness! What a shame. I toured the Guinness Brewery in Dublin back in 2004 (I was just barely old enough to be able to drink it at the time...haha).

And Dee, gas with beer? It makes sense, and everything I read says it causes gas, but I haven't run into it yet. I've been sticking to gin and soda water with lime when I have more than one drink, and it has treated me well.

Another funny fact about me is that while I was sick with Crohn's and didn't know it yet, the only time my stomach didn't bother me was after a night at the bar or club. My roommates would all have hangovers, and I would be strutting around thinking that my stomach was all better...Little did I know...

Great stuff guys!
Past Member
G'day,

I have just returned from a week's holiday where I drank a variety of alcoholic beverages each and every night (and day) with no effect on my ileo, just a slight headache in the morning!

Started most nights with a couple of cocktails (cosmopolitan/gin sling/mai tai), then a few bourbon cokes (in between shots of wild turkey/sambuca/jagermeister), depending on what bar my friends and I ended up in, e.g. Irish bar always had to have a Guinness - so smooth!, would usually end up with a beer or four...no bloat, no excessive "emptying", nuttin'!

Was quite amazed as it had been several years since I had "gone wild", didn't really know what to expect.

Like yourself, back many years ago when drunken debauchery was a regular feature of my weekends, never used to suffer the hangovers my mates did...perhaps the alcohol preserved my colon! Now not actually having a colon 'tis good to know I can still "tie one on" with little or no effect!

On ordinary days I drink up to 3 large lattes a day with no probs either. I think the cinnamon may have been the irritant in your chai latte (love those too).

Cheers and good drinking!

Past Member

Hi, I have had CD for 13 years and a stoma for 12. I am the same as you. I can drink what I like and eat anything as long as I am careful. Good luck with your new stoma. If you need any advice, message me. Hugs xoxoxoxo

WOUNDED DOE

Yay Aussie Girl!!!! I love that picture.....cheers my awesome sis!! Luv yah girl!!

Past Member

I was having a problem with my drinking, but ever since I got the Bacardi rum

people to go on double shift, everything is fine!