Recycling Ostomy Bags???

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
The Largest Online Ostomy Community
with 16,286 Members
Watch MeetAnOstoMate Video
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
  Past Member
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:48 pm
Has anyone ever heard of cleaning ostomy bags after use? I am all for recycling, but I am also concerned about the health risks.
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm
Quite honestly, I don't think so nor would I attempt it.

X_
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm
Hi. I have actually phoned some companies and asked them about this issue. They replied with a "NO!". THese bags are not meant to be cleaned and reused. I find that the filters get wet or the bags smell from being against skin. I do not know if any company makes a reusable bag.  People do not recycle toilet paper so why should I recycle an Ostomy bag?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm
yuk not me i get 3 days out of a bag
  Past Member
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:10 pm
It's a very good question, but..........Noooooooooooooo...I'm sure there are those who have HAD to, but if you're not one of them, don't, okay??

They do make a cleaner for them, (I'll never forget that antiseptic smell, ugh). I admit, as a new ostomate (with very little output), everytime I emptied, I HAD TO put on a clean pouch and DID soak the previous (barely used) pouch in the special soap, but couldn't bare to put it back on...Needless to say, I wasted alot of supplies, caused myself tremendous unnecessary pain, pulling off and putting on again at the first sign of output (remember the horrible clear pouches thay sent you home with), yuk!!!! I was for sure I'd never survive it...............But I did, I learned, I healed and then began to thrive again. I can't say I'll EVER LOVE "IT", but I sure love what "it's" given back to me.
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:52 pm
When I first had my ostomy - 1980 - the bags were a vinyl material and meant to be washed and reused.  I was so happy when they came out with the disposable ones.  Seemed much easier and more sanitary to me.
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 am
Hello
mccurangel
I am a keen recycler and ostomy bags are no exception.
Some of the blogs I've read on here have illustrated how people in poorer countries have to re-use their bags over and over and some don't have bags at all but still have to cope.
We live in a throw-away society in which the mind-set becomes accustomed and habituated to throw anything away that slightly irritates or frustrates us. If this urge to throw things  away is not kept under very strict control it tends to be become an acceptable way of thinking across the board. Hence we also see it in relationships - where they are percieved to be of no value to us simply because we have used them and they no longer feel new.
Surely a healthier way is to be much more discerning as to the what, where, when how and why we feel things 'need' to be thrown away.
For my eco-efforts I wash the used bags thoroughly, take the fabric liners off the outside and put the plastic into the plastic bag recycling bin with all the other plastic bags.
The thought of reusing them disgusts me!  However, I do wash out the irrigation sleeves and use them  time and time again so I'm not sure why I'm disgusted with one concept and not with the other. The conscious mind and the emotions are wonderfully contradictary at times.
Best wishes
Bill
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 am
HI BEST WAY TO RECYCLE USED BAGS WOULD BE HANG THEM ON CLOTHES LINE AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 am
?

Last edited by Past Member on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 am
Hello again,
I take your point about water use. We did run short of water once and in anticipation of global warming making it happen more often, I dug a hole under my greenhouse as a reserviour, I think it holds about 5000 gallons. However, that was many years ago and we've never been so short of water since that I've needed to tap into it. I'm not sure I would like living in Texas or any desert region without water. Anyway, I love the idea of beating the shit out of them!
Best wishes
Bill
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 am
they are beginning to recycle toilet paper.  they hired mr. whipple to squeeze the shit out of it
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 pm
  Too funny !!!!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm
I just love poop humour!!!! I do miss asking someone to pull my finger!!! Yes, it is still funny!!
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:51 pm
ha ha
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm
Oh my God, I just have to try that one on my family just to funny.....
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.