Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample

Corroding my toilet

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,681 Members
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm
Hi All,

After years of UC and bi-weekly cleanings of the toilet (if not more frequently) I was hopeful that my ileostomy would leave me in a position of being able to clean the toilet less often.  Well, that's been mostly the case, but I've noticed that the porcelain seems to be stained at the point where I usually dump out the bag - as though the bilious crap is literally starting to eat away at the bowl.  Sad   I've scrubbed it diligently using industrial strength cleaners but it doesn't go away suggesting that it isn't a surface stain.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Will blue cross pay for a new toilet!?  Wink

Good day.

Ziya
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 pm
Well, an unusual question, but I am sure all of have faced it to some extent. I have never had a permanent stain. Scrubbing has always removed it. Most any cleaner works, although I tend to clean it fairly quickly. Perhaps the porcelain itself is defective. Just one suggestion if you don't already do this, make sure the waste is deposited into the water and does not make excessive contact with the sides of the bowl. I doubt Blue cross covers this
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 pm
Hi - actually I have had the same - got a new loo now but my old one seemed to be like that - it got sort of rough and then the stains stuck real well! Bleach I found cleaned the best with no scrubbing - just leave overnight, but it doesn't solve the 'etching' of the bowl, though it was a little better after I used limescale remover on it ..... Great post, who would think we would be discussing our toilet pans!

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:20 am
i always put toilet paper down on the front of the bowl so it just lands on the paper and does not touch the porcelain Smile less splashing too.   i also flush right away. my toilet looks great lol.
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 am
Hi...good question and like Rachey said bleach works great....but also something else that I have found to work fantastic is something called "the Works" ....that is VERY strong, in fact it has also eaten away finishes off porcelain at times but it will definitely do a good job for you.  Those stains in the toilet are a beast....anything coming from the small intestine is SO very acidic and strong.  The Works is something I will never be without,...used it for many years.  Hey good luck! Smile   OH! But please do wear gloves, do not get that stuff on your hands!! ....good to use gloves when cleaning the pooper anyway lol but, just warning yah.  Wink  Smile
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 am
Just a thought... If your water is at all "hard" it will leave deposits over time that will stain.  The deposits are white and so not always obvious on their own.  Some type of scale cleaner may clear that for you..
Katman
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 pm
Sounds like limescale, worked for a bathroom fitting company, a customer insisted her toilet was crumbling and stained brown.  I was sure it was scale.  We swapped the toilet - poured a bottle of coke in it.  Presto, as new......cola is great at shifting limescale overnight in a bowl - you might need a thick paste type descaler if it's higher than the water though.

I don't drink fizzy drinks - all that acid is bad for my pipes!
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am
Loopy!!  What you said is SO true!  My Grandfather would use Coke or Pepsi to remove the rust off his nails and bolts and things from the old workshop he had in the barn, things would get damp in there due to the leaking roof and such.... and things would rust up, ....he would get out the Cola, fill a bowl, then dump in any rusted parts he had and it didn't take long it all came out rust-free and good as new (usually Coke, he claimed it worked better than Pepsi) ...yeah, just think what that must do to our guts, yikes, I need to remember that, I can really chug the cola :/
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 pm
If you have a Dollar General Store close to you, the Dollar General Store brand toilet bowl cleaner is awesome. We have even used it on the swimming pool ladders and steps. They have stuff build up on them with the chemicals and water from the pool and it will clean them like they are new. Looked great last summer when we replaced the liner in the pool. The pool guy actually told us about it. I am a firm believer and will always use this stuff. I don't have a problem with it scratching or eating the things that I clean with it.
Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 pm
I recently remodeled many areas of my home trying to make different things more "handicapped" friendly.  One thing I wanted was new, taller toilets.  I was finding it difficult to stand up from the lower model.

Well, my contractor got 2 modern units with low level water usage.  I would not recommend that for anyone dealing with emptying bags.  If I forget to put in a layer of toilet paper first,  it takes 3 flushes to clear it out.  No savings of paper or water here!!  And that lime scale you're talking about here built up very quickly.  I'm so glad to learn about Coke.  Thanks!!

PS  The new seats don't stay attached longer than 2 weeks at a time.  I expect to go in there in the middle of the night and wind up on the floor!!

I thank my lucky stars I now have a bag and don't have to sit on the throne very often any more!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.