Intimacy Issues After Ostomy Surgery - Am I Alone?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi Rach, how are you? I went to see my doctor today and it was a complete waste of time! I explained everything to him and he said, "Beverley, I'm sorry you're ill, but you will have to see your surgeon as soon as you can." All he did was prescribe me Panadeine Forte, ordered a blood test to check my LFTs, and told me to go home and drink plenty of fluids. I went in to see the nurse to have my blood taken and she had four tries and couldn't get a drop out of me. She said I was fully dehydrated and gave me a glass of water. Go figure, hey? My doctor told me it's very normal to have green watery output, chronic nausea, and not being able to eat properly. He said the bile is going straight into the bowel. Basically, he wasn't interested in anything I had to say, so I walked out and told him I will find another GP. All he was interested in was me signing his paperwork so he could be paid for the consultation. I asked him if I should go to the ER and he said it would be a waste of time. So, I'm back at square one again. I have an appointment on Wednesday to see my surgeon, so hopefully, I will get somewhere. I will keep you informed about how I go with my surgeon and when I'm going back into the hospital for my biopsies. Thank you again, Rach, for your kindness. It's nice to know others care...
P.S. My name is Beverley-Ann!!
Regards,

Beverley xxxxx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

geraldine 08

I feel so emotional reading your story. There was me feeling sorry for myself because the last date I went on, my stoma made the most horrendous noises, which has never happened before. I was mortified... Needless to say, I got the usual (I don't think this is working, but it's got nothing to do with your condition). Yeah, right, whatever...

Yes, it's hard dating. I think a lot of the time, is it worth it? Do I tell him before I go out with him? When I get to know him, I don't know. I do find it scary. But what happened to you was a one-off. It will never happen again. He was an absolute scumbag. Please don't let him ruin your life. You are worth much more than that.

We may have a bag, but we deserve to be happy. Is it too much to ask?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady
Hi Beverley! So dehydrated that all your veins have collapsed and they cannot get a drop of blood, and he just sent you away - disgusting..... With the water thing, apparently having fresh lemon juice or lime or orange in the water (even a slice of ....) helps to let your body absorb more fluid rather than peeing it all out for some reason..... You must seriously feel like crap, has your skin gone wrinkly and if you pinch it, does it stay up in a peak for a while? Not sure what to suggest, but if you feel worse off to the ER with you so they can get some IV fluids in, but probably won't be able to canulate you either if all your veins have gone flat.....? Damn... running out of ideas, try the lemon slices and drink, drink, drink! Rach xxxx
lottagelady

Just had another thought - can you get Dioralyte in your pharmacies over there? Keeps the body's sugars and salts up when you have diarrhea, etc. ... that may help too?
Rach xx

Past Member

Hi Rach, how are you? Good, I hope. Yes, I'm definitely dehydrated as I went to have my bloods done again this morning and again they had no luck? The thing is, I'm drinking loads of water and energy drinks, but as soon as I put something into my stomach, it just pours out of me like a tap. And yes, I feel like crap to put it politely as I've got a chronic constant headache, nausea, feel like I have gastro all the time, and just don't have an ounce of energy! This is really getting me down in the dumps as all I'm doing is cracking up and crying all the time.... Anyway, I'm seeing my surgeon in 2 days and hopefully he can sort this out for me. I'm also very scared about going back in and having these biopsies? The outcome is what I'm very worried about, and at the moment my mum and dad are overseas in the U.K. for 7 weeks and have nobody to turn to when I need a shoulder. They have only been gone for 1 week and I miss them so much!
Sorry, I'm carrying on again. I'm just having a bad morning! Thank you again for your replies to me and thank you for even caring for a total stranger. You're a wonderful lady and never change who you are. I hope you have a wonderful day......

Regards

Beverley xxxx

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lottagelady

Hi Beverley - try the thing with lemon slices or a squeeze of juice in the water - it is supposed to help your body absorb it better .... and see if you can get over the counter Diaoralyte, sure both would help .....
My turn tomorrow to go into hospital. But hope to have internet access so can keep in touch and get some support of my own from everyone! I am okay in there when feeling bad but when I start to improve I start climbing the walls to try and get out! But Mother says I've to stay in as long as I possibly can! I keep telling her they may throw me out in 2 days - we will see? Hope you feeling a little better today you poor love .....?
Rach xxx

beyondpar

Rach is right... What is your name? For now, I'm calling you D...

Just re-read all the posts. Hi Beverly.

Some FYI, I am a man who has a pouch and prefers women with a pouch. Yes, I want to meet a woman with a pouch. I prefer that. I see it for all the good it has done to me and all the good it can and has done for the woman.

You are so much more than a pouch. I try and equate it with a pimple on the arse...

We all get them on occasion, but we don't let it ruin or destroy our male or female qualities. While a pimple might not be the most attractive thing on the planet, and we are aware of it at all times, we seem to overcome it and continue on being male and female.

For the male who has treated you rather quite poorly, it's sad as he is so inept at being a kind and caring soul that his journey can only be shallow.

You on the other hand are the one with the gift. YOU know the depths of pain and hell, and it will only help with the pleasure life and intimacy can offer with the right, good person.

I can't wait to be intimate with a pouch person. Yes, I will say it again, I can't wait to be with a pouch person. WE are SPECIAL. WE are not damaged. Just a bit different. Different is sexy and unique and life-giving. We are better than just normal and have an insight only this journey can offer.

I ask again to change your name as I would like to address you as anything else, but Damaged goods has got to go.

You are never alone on here. We are a good bunch of kind and caring souls who, in my opinion, happen to be better than the rest of the planet not like us. LOL

Michael

Pinky

Thank you for posting that, Michael. Like Beverley, I have felt like damaged goods since my first colostomy in 2003. Lately, I have felt very hopeless about ever finding someone kind and caring and sensible. Your optimism is like a ray of sunshine in a heavy dark cloud.

Beverley - so we're "damaged" - everyone is damaged in some way - it's just that our damage is so obviously in sight and smell (at times). Frankly, my husband's sh#t smelled a LOT worse than anything coming out of my pouch. He dropped me like a hot potato after 22 years of marriage to take up with his former girlfriend - in exchange for immediate sex with a "pouchless" mate, he had to become a Mormon (and move to Hillbilly Swampsville, Missouri - Swiffer told me that!)

Speaking of which - where is Swiffer? He hasn't posted in a while. Maybe he has found his new love and they have motorcycled into the sunset.

Past Member

Hello Michael and all, thank you!! is all I can say at the moment......

Beverley xxxxxxxx

Past Member

Hi there, I just recently joined the club and saw that you posted this last year. Can you tell me what's happened since then with your wife? I ask because I'm in a similar situation and am frustrated.

KennyT

I am only new to this site as well, and I happened by your post. To be totally honest, it left the worst taste in my mouth. For the life of me, I just cannot get my head around how morally bankrupt and vicious some people can be.
But after sitting back and running this through my head until I could make some sense of it, I realized that this person who did this to you is not worth the anguish he so obviously caused you. Don't let him win because this creep seems like one of those small-minded people who takes great pleasure in causing others pain. And the beauty of it all is that his day will surely come.

Keep your head up, dude.

Pinky
I just went back and re-read this posting from the beginning. My God, how many of us have suffered this bad stuff (and here I thought I was the only one!) This post resonates with me the most - don't know who posted it as "Guest" - but having slept alone for the past 8 years and missing the same stuff - thank you for saying this.

I can even remember the last day I had sex (with my SOB ex-husband) in September 2002 - before it got too painful because of the giant tumor in my rectosigmoid colon pressing on the nerves in my back. Then surgery in October, after which my ex never approached me again for sex. I did get the snuggling part, at least until I got my first colostomy in May 2003. By that time he was seeing another (whole, unscarred) woman.

In July that year he stopped sleeping in the same room with me - never did again. My colostomy "made too much noise" and interrupted his sleep.

I didn't find out he was "turning his crank" with someone else until my divorce papers arrived in October!

Haven't even tried to be intimate since then. I do snuggle with my doggie (see profile). I highly recommend a cuddly pet.

I hope too someday to find either A) another ostomate; or B) an incredibly sensitive soul who won't be bothered by: my irrigating equipment and occasional sounds and smells emanating from my pouch.

By the way: my son is 21 and he saw Jessica Grossman (ostomy uncovered) on the front of Phoenix magazine. He thinks she is a totally hot babe, pouch and all!
Past Member
Very good point, and I would add.... Dogs are easier to housebreak, less likely to bring home old cars or expensive shotguns, never leave the toilet seat up, less likely to pee on the bathroom rug (when half asleep in the middle of the night), won't eat all the cookies (unless you leave them out), and... if they get on your nerves.... simply put them out in the backyard.....

Ok, sorry... I couldn't resist..!!
Tiggy

Oh my gosh you guys, I am so sorry to hear some of your stories.

I don't care what anyone tells me. The fact is that if I met Tyler nine months ago instead of nine years ago, I still would be just as crazy in love with him as I am now. His bag is such a stupid little trivial thing, and I *really* mean that. We do everything together - bag and all! Everything from serious cuddle sessions, to intense sexual intimacy. I never smell a damn thing, or see anything objectionable when we're naked together. And, even if I *did* smell something foul, I'd just tell him about it so he could check for leaks, fix the problem, then we'd get right back to business.

I don't understand any of this - I really don't understand what the big deal is for some of these so-called partners some of you talk about. For those of you who had a spouse walk out on you during your time of need - talk about shitty luck to have poor health and then get to contend with a spouse who is so shallow and useless. As for the people who don't experience intimacy with their partners, I can only speculate as to what the problem may be. One thing I will say is that it's entirely possible that your partner is simply being over cautious and afraid that any kind of sex might cause some harm to you. I would strongly urge you to have a serious sit-down talk with your loved one and lay it all out on the table. Tell them what you need, what you are not receiving, and see if you can't reach some compromise.

Tiggy

tragicallydave

Not sure. Haven't had the right stuff ever since.