Any ileos getting fat?

Replies
Views
beatrice
What the heck is going on? Had my ileo Dec 09 ... I'm gaining weight steadily. Not good weight -- past my optimum.

My diet has changed -- very little fruit/veg, much less meat, more carbs -- these diet changes are due to how I'm able to process the food. I seem to block pretty easily.

And I'm less active (but not that much) than I was prior to the operation -- have really low energy.

I've done the calorie counting and I'm at 1200 to 1400 per day -- which isn't really high for someone my age/height/etc. Bloodwork checks out fine - no thyroid issues or diabetis.

My tummy shape has changed enough that my appliance isn't sitting/holding as nicely as it did.

Anyone else steadily gaining weight?

Thanks for any insight.
2NDCHANCE
Hi Beatrice in Vancouver,
I had an ileostomy in june 2008 and it took me over 1 year to gain my energy back mostly due to the healing portion of the small intestine and remember the small intestine has to take over at some point and assume the duty of the large intestine...the colon.
It takes time for this physiological change to take place which in turn will affect your own personal rate of metabolism.
This being said,then you are back on track to gain some new weight of course as the body reasserts itself since the small intestine now is absorbing all the vitamins,nutrients and minerals from the food you eat now and behaves like a colon now.
That is good from the general health of digestion at first,but in some people extra pounds will be added as the body readjusts to the new metabolism...but then how much you eat,what you eat and even how you eat it will dictate how your body handles the food intake in the long run.
It is important to exercise of course daily,and watch your calorie(food)intake each meal.
Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and eat foods with sodium etc. to balance your electrolytes.
How do I know so much about ileostomy post-op,Beatrice,you may ask,well I made it my business to look and learn from ET nurses,clinical people,reading from the Net and just some plain common sense and my own experiences related to ostomy.
It is a continual learning process I might add.
Hope this may help you out,Beatrice,anyway.
mike in victoria

By the way,if your current flange and bag do not quite fit over your stoma with the ostomy,I would recommend to confer with your ET(enterostomal) nurses at your local hospital in Vancouver,as these nurses are highly trained and in great demand at the present time.
So much to know about ostomy care and they can assist in cutting out the correct flange and maybe try a new make or model as well for a more conforming fit.

I did not want to bore you on technical info...only to provide you with an informed decision based on general and personal criteria connected to ostomy care etc.
mike
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Beatrice,

Yes I did get fat last year but am now back to a more healthy weight range.

I had my permanent ileo in November 2008, when I left hospital I was severely underweight, so I spent 2009 rebuilding my skeletal frame, actually got some curves back (and my boobs!).

I spent 2010 in the USA and I just over-ate and lived high on the hog (literally, mmm bacon!) to the point where I went up two dress sizes and was definitely in the overweight range.

Since being back in Australia I have lost most of what I gained and now feel a lot better about myself physically. With all these yo-yo-ing I still felt quite healthy throughout it all, I guess I'm just lucky.

It is probably a blanket statement (and I am biased) but I think Australia's food supply is a lot fresher, healthier and tastier than just about anywhere in the world (have heard international chefs actually say this!), and just from my perspective that has helped in my weight loss.

Definitely hard to be more active when your energy levels are low, have you tried B vitamin injections? I know many ileos don't absorb the "energy" vitamins as well as the bowel intact.

Hope you find a solution to stop expanding,
Cheers,
Jo x
butterfly48
yes I agree - I use to eat alot of salads and can't do that now ==eat more carbs and the weight keeps climbing. So I have gone back to alot of the vitamins I use to take but really miss the salads - If I find that magic pill for weight loss will definitely let you guys know. All I know is that I crave alot of sugar and carbs since I had my surgery. it has taken me to gain 40 pounds apx. 1 year I got to thin after surgery but now I have to really figure out what to do to lose the weight and exercise which as you all know is not very easy having this bag. I wish someone would come up with a special diet for people who have a bag. Good Luck Butterfly48
blueiis
I too am having weight gain issues. The winter here was really bad with a lot of grey cold days and its easy to ignore exercise. at that time. I too eat a lot of carbs just to keep my energy up My new staple drug is imodium just to keep the diareaha in check Blueiis

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lalu
Hi.

At least you know you're not alone; just put up your post and look how many of us are responding.

I needed to gain maybe 10 -20 pounds after my ileo in May, 2009. Once I started drinking Ensure, that was easy. My weight seemed pretty stable, then less than a year after the surgery, my husband unexpectedly died. In about a year, I went from 100 to 150 pounds - gained 50% of my total body weight. It was so easy to lose weight when my Crohn's Disease was active! Now another year has come and gone and I'm down to 130. Depression seems to work both ways - sometimes I have to force myself to eat something; sometimes I can't stop. Since I don't drink coffee, I started having a large cup of clear soup in the morning. It kind of runs right through, but I think it has helped me cut back a little. It also seems the more I've focused on my weight, the more I gained.

Good luck.

Laurie
Past Member
Hi Beatrice

I had my ileo in Nov. 2008 and like most people, needed to gain a bit of weight. Now, however, I need to stay stable and am having to watch the calories again.
I have no bag related problems when it comes to exercise - I am just lazy.
I agree that it is harder to eat low calorie meals becuase I don't absorb raw vegetables at all and bananas are the only uncooked fruit that really suit my digestive system.

I think I just got into a lot of bad habits when I had the luxury of needing to gain weight and now I will just have to be stricter on myself.

Carrie(Ireland)
sooziq
Same here was ok for 30 years--retired and stopped smokeing 25 pounds ago!! I think age and activity level have alot to do with weight gain after about age 55? Ileostomy on not! My job kept me moving around all day plus smoking; now retired and not half as active Carb and sweet right on I do eat lots of salads and veg but also the other foods with it.Lucky my husband loves me either way---I was so underweight at time of ileostomy (34 yrs ago) never realized how very sick I was so I say mine is Happy Fat! .Just try and walk each day a mile or 3 or 4 and watch the serving size. I gained 60# after ileostomy lost 45# at Weight Watchers 30 years ago and had kept it off for 30 years. Weight Watchers worked then but I was younger with a small child to run after to.Serving size is main thing.Good luck be happy and feel good,a few extra pounds will not hurt you. ET nurse should be able to help refit appliance,mine did.
Sooziq
mooza
well i agree i have put on 5kg's sorry pounds i have no idea ...but if u didnt put weight on after operations then u would be in trouble OH im craving sugar aswel like baddddddd... yea soup wouls be good i couldnt have that in the morning and yep straight through lololol...EXERSIZE..

YEAH i will do that tomorrow been on a trablet Lyrica even makes u not want to eat BUTi keep putting it on grrrrr i want my old jeans back.....

im in winter in melobourne it gets cold .... c'mon summer awwww
sooziq
Roasted red pepper soup and broccoli cheese give me no problems eat with slice of french bread mmmm. And I wonder where this weight came from!!!
Sooziq
LMS67
I am one of the people who never seems to be able to take weight off- I had to wait 2 weeks and have IV feedings before they could do my ostomy surgery, I have not figured out how I could be obese and malnourished. I have a huge appetite and I can eat as much as I want or starve and my weight just stays the same- I try to exercise several times a week but I just don't see any change, I also have no thryoid issues. I am reading and researching and so far I have realized that most of us who have taken high doses of steroids in the past are more resistant to losing or keeping weight off- I think I would rather feel good and be overweight , what's a little more baggage Sorry couldn't resist the pun!! It must be common, because I lost 50 lbs. during surgery and my ostomy nurse told me I would gain it back and then some, I am almost back to the top.The hard part is I think I would have more energy if some of the weight was back off. Who has the magic pill?
Thanks for sharing,
Lisa
nogutz
Hay move over I need more room. I have went from 30 wiast to 40 I do keep them loose and wear suspenders, I was eating every thing in sight to gain this weight back.So know that I have gained it and more,I have stopped eating the 1lbs chocolate bars and trying to cut out the soda and Ice cream. stopped the energy drinks like ensure to . I laugh when I get on the scales, As I try to maintain this weight. It must be healthy for us though

take care
Scott Chance
Wow, I'm the opposite, had my ileostomy in May 2010, came out of hospital at 55kgs (20 to 25 lighter than I was pre-illness) and am currently stuck at 60kgs despite eating high protein meals, drinking protein drinks etc.

I did once get as far as 64kgs but a dose of the winter vomiting bug earlier this year robbed me of four kilograms!

I would like to gain weight to the point where I look a little healthier, obviously I don't want to be overweight or anything but it would be nice to get a little nearer to what used to look like (providing that doesn't give me problems with the bag fitting like the OP highlighted).
nogutz
Yeah Scott I was having problems gaining, when I first came out of hospital. I had gained 30lbs and then I tried to go back to work and lost most of what I had gained then I started eating big choc.bars,cheeses, soda,ice cream and all the stuff you should not be eating and eating three square meals a day. I had told my ET nurse and she said it was OK as I do look healthier. So once the weight was on, I started cutting back on the junk food, try it you may like it. Although I was steady going to the washroom.It helped me gain weight I felt i needed. Now I am steady at about 190lbs Be patient and you will gain it and then some. good luck
beatrice
Wow -- I'm sure not alone!

Great ideas on activity and such ... I just have to accept that my energy is low so that things will happen slowly, both with the extra activity and some pounds (hopefully) coming off.

My appetite hasn't changed - always had a good one .

Thanks for reminder about portion size. Since the variety of what I can eat is limited, I do seem to be eating too much at a sitting. And I am doing the more frequent meals ... so put that all together ... no wonder I'm getting round!
roseileo
Yes, I have gained 39 lbs in 4 years since my ileo. I had a severe colon, rectal, and small bowel injury in a surgery (which on review) did not need to be done at all. Took me 13 months to find a surgeon who would fix me the best that could be done. But during that 13 months I was unable to eat due to small bowel adhesion obstructions. FINALLY found a doc who removed the small bowel adhesions and did permanent end ileostomy. This was all that could be done to save my life. Thankfully I found someone after seeing 11 surgeons at 7 hospitals over these 13 months. I had weighed 125. During the 13 months my weight dropped to 99 lbs. After I could eat again, thankfully, I did regain my premorbid weight. BUT now I am up to 139 and have GOT to lose at least 10 lbs.

My issue same as others sweet cravings, eat mostly carbs as I cannot eat salads and the veggies I used to. Even potatoes gave me a stomal food blockage. Been fine since I quit them. Only can eat really well cooked summer squash. BUT If I have a cheese sandwich, then it seems like the bread pancakes on the stoma and only chocolate or grape juice or Bailey's Irish cream or ice cream sugary stuff will melt the bread down so it will drop off the stoma. So bottom line is that we cannot eat the low cal good roughage any more so we go for the carbs and sweets that is easier to get through our guts and moves out easily. Does anyone else find that they have to use this method. Roseileo
wookie2005
HI there,

I am in the Same situation as everyone else who has an Iliostomy, i had mine created on 30th June 2010 so im just past the 1 yr mark and since about December i have Stacked on the weight, I was never really one for eating alot of Vegies as with my UC it affected it so much ive always loved rice and pasta and still eat it, but since my op i can eat more than before and i still dont feel full, I am the biggest i have ever been and it hurts i am trying to lose the weight so i can fit my wedding dress before my surgery i was an Australian size 10, i am to this day and Australian size 18-20 and i Cannot stand it, my Fiance tells me that i still am beautiful but how can i love somebody when i dont love myself?? I keep asking myself this question i know that i love him and i am forever grateful that he has stood by me throughout all of this and if it wasnt for him i wouldnt be here ect ect.... But its that question.... I am Missrable all the time because i cant fit into my clothes i just feel like crap every day. I am trying to Eat more vegies and now that its Winter here in perth, i will start and cook Lamb and vegi soups ect but winter is the hardest time to try n lose weight, but i need to! Is there any advise anyone can give me, ive tried the Tablets that help Supress your appetite they are great but need to also drink the shakes and they are expensive. I will be learning about all this within the next few yrs since i am going to be studying Nursing, with Gastroentology and my specialty but the information now would be helpful. I cry most days as i am so depressed i need help i really do.... I saw my sister become big and then needed to have the lapband put in, i dont want to get like that i am only 23 for crying out loud!

Hope to get some advice
Brooke =)
Past Member
yeah, i've never weighed more than 125 lbs ever. After the surgery I eat like I did when I was a kid, a whole pizza, and still hungry attitude.
Before getting sick I used to run around 2 miles a day. I've just now started back after a few months to help get back in shape. I'm almost to 150 lbs now. It's uncomfortable to weigh more than i'm accustomed to definitely.
mooza
Wookie try winter in Melbourne colder than Perth .......And yeah I put on weight a lot i do know what i need to do EXCERSISE Im taking A nerve Damage Tablet lyrica and yep very expensive at $75 and just for a kick side effect WEIGHT GAIN but a lot of us who had been sick for sooo long and being used to not eating and being a lot more thinner and under weight
maybe we didnt get the same chance as other people who can control weight ..cause we never had control went to a nutrisionist cause i couldnt stop eating sugar was told Depresion and to see a shrink ..Didnt happen and i for sure need to get exersize wookie i feel for you hun..size 10 is pretty small ..I have not been a 10 maybe long time ago but see somone bout the weight if its that bad matey your Gp were you taking those diet (speedy) tabs sooo
bad darlz.... Not giving my weight but i was 60kg but looked shite in the face ..
MarkP
Mooza
I hope the Lyrca works for you as I had no luck with it about 12 mths ago after 3 prescriptions so expensive waste of time for me.
I didn't put weight on from it.
I just try to keep my exercise levels up to stay healthy.
mooza
thanks mark $75 i bought 3 lots so far and going to 2 doctors 2 scav sum freebbies so yeah im worried i have put on heaps .Plus i can not eat all day i dont get it .....

another chemist said they would do it a bit cheaper pretty sad when i go to 3 chemists like auction i cant afford it either and not sure of side effects really i dont wanna know just seen that and also addictive... wateva that means ... goes with the morphine im taking .....

If i dont use it my back feels like concrete and nothing no pain relief works even got a tens machine all B/S.......

I dont know i had my last op in 2008n and have been in agony with back pain ever since has arse lolRectum taken out got crohns and i was promised i would be soooo much better now Gastro doc said we tried everything goin too a Nherologist spell chec and i think we dont like each other i missed appointments i didnt know i had no rhumatiod he said first time cant help me so i didnt go back ..He said i was supposed too i dont wanna pay for an MRI to tell me what the one i had at my other Hospital told me faaaaaaaaaaaaak sorrry ventin ..I think im getting sicker ...But melb. winter or me dunno... thanks mark 4 the replys xx cheers mare-mooza
Past Member
It took over a year after ileostomy, but started gaining weight. Discovered I could eat again without pain soiling my panties( that's putting nicely, actually lost all bowel control went every 10 miniutes or less). My husband would order for me in restaurant because did not remember the foods I liked. Started walking on treadmill and eating proper diet and lost excess weight have kept it off for 15 yrs.
Bunkie
hi..i'm just the reverse..can't gain a pound..i lost 20lbs before my ileo and another 30lbs after..It is very painful for me to eat due to all the scar tissue..i'v already had 2 blockages since march..the last one almost killed me the adhesions were so bad they had to compleatly open me..since this i am in pain no matter what i eat so i just don't..hunger pains are less..hard to function when you are in pain so if i eat i have to take a lot of pain meds and then i am a zoombie..be glad you can eat..i look like a corpse at 115lbs from 150lbs..don't know what to do anymore..tryed everything and so many doctors..tired of being hungry but the pain isn't worth it
beatrice
Oh Wookie2005 - I hear ya! Quite a bit older than you (56), but have a hubby that says I'm beautiful no matter what (and I know he means it) ... but I feel like crap because of the weight gain. Libido? Menopause/Ileo/lousy body image ... we're not exactly rocking the sheets around hear lately

Yeah, I know ... it's not cancer, brain tumor, blindness ... all the really bad stuff that people have to deal with. So why is it such an issue with me and some of the other ileos?

Just came back from a week at the lake. I watched every morsel that went into my mouth. If I thad a 'treat' (like a tiny slice of cake for dessert one evening) I eliminated empty calories for the next day. We hiked and walked (took alot of out me -- my energy is poor) - more exercise than when I'm at home. Today I stepped on the scale ... up 3 pounds . The same slow weight gain continues.

Right now I can live in baggy elastic waist capris and loose tops for summer ... but I can't fit into my Fall clothes from last year. Shit.

Briefly discussed it with my GP. Besides giving me the "you're healthy and alive and not morbidly obese - so what's the problem/don't waste my time" look -- he just said to make sure I exercise and don't eat empty calories.

Here's something that I can't understand ... the weight gain is more depressing to me than having the ileo ... weird.
ky_mimi
My daughter had Ulcerative Colitis. She now has a j-pouch. She recently lost 65 lbs. going to weight watchers. She is keeping her weight off!

Hope things go well for you!

Louise
diggs
Yes I thought the only good thing to come out of this, and then I had a reversal and started gaining weight. I can, hardly exercise, I was left with a huge hernia in my stomach. I don,t even have a belly button any more.I have hard feelings against the Dr that caused this , but I can,t sue its been to long, I pray GOD to put forgiveness in my heart.
diggs
I understand I had to buy all new clothes because I lost over a 100 pds, I was in a skill unit, but refuse any sweets, and bread it just fell off. I am determined to get this weight off because I have a large hernia in my stomach, its hard to exercise when you can,t hardly walk.
diggs
Even my Mom told me that hips were getting wider, I was already self conscious about them.
nogutz
Hey Diggs dont over work the wrong muscles,you will be in worse shape.With all the crap we all have been through.Its hard to see the bright side all the time.But really this is better then our worst Days or Day!Diggs you may not be able to lift much nor should you anymore.But now you can hip check with confidence,learn to use your new tools.Have some fun. For the clothes I have about ten different sizes too,it does suck .I go to Sally Ann's.price is write,when your swinging through these sizes at rapid speeds.

As for your praying to God,well all I can say is your in good hands, be patient.It has been a long road,and I am not sure where I am on this journey.But I have come to terms with myself,that I will never have the life style I so enjoyed.Rather I am starting to embrace,the beautiful life that now lay's ahead of me.I still have plenty of bad days.Just now I try to make my better days a little better!And I do thank God for My Life.God bless all of us

Take Care
clippergirl
Hi Diggs--I seem to have the opposite problem...I eat eat eat and don't gain a pound. I was a thin kid before my first surgery and at 21 only weighed 98 lbs. I did get very heavy at one time during my last marriage....220 pounds...but it was because all the stress of a bad marriage made the pounds pile on. After my divorce the weight came off again. I stay right are 150 pounds. But I remember how awful I felt when I was over 200lbs. Even walking was a chore and most of my fat was around my middle so I looked pregnant. Plus I had a hard time getting my appliances to stay on. I was miserable.Now I eat anything and everything (except seafood--can't stand the smell) and never have had problems with blockages...things just move through me really fast because I have no large bowel left. I think the difference for me is that I had my first ostomy at 8yrs old and grew up not knowing how a "normal" digestive system works.