Please help! Working while having high output ostomy

Replies
Views
jaidre

I've had various ileostomies for 30 years. My most recent was in 2004. It is incontinent. I want to go back to work, currently disabled, but really want to work. How do employees work when they have such a high output? Mine is usually watery, so with meals I take Lomotil, Metamucil (thickens stool), and eat a banana. But with or without these things, I still have to empty many times a day. I know that there are ostomates working out there... How do you do it? I need the extra money and I've got to get out of this house. Please let me know how you go about it. Thank you. Jaidre.

Past Member

I work with an ileostomy. I go about 3 to 4 times a day at work. First thing in the morning, I take two Lomotil. I don't really watch what I eat, I just won't eat eggs or chocolate before or during work, as they lead to watery output and you know that causes frequent trips to the bathroom. If you have to go frequently, try restricting your intake a bit and see what happens.

Also, how/when are you taking the Lomotil? If you are taking it with food, it won't work as intended. I take it at least a half hour before I eat anything.

Paul

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa

This is a great question and I hope other folks will share their tips. I had a new/young ileostomate recently who posed the same question; wanting to know this and how to politely excuse himself if in a meeting and needed to empty his pouch... I can only come up with some common sense things...

Tips?

Pennyann3

I don't know if I can offer much, but I honestly don't care if people think I use the bathroom a lot. Some people have a small bladder and use the bathroom more than I do... It's an act of nature and everyone does it. No different than some poor person who ends up with diarrhea right in the middle of a meeting...

I currently use the bathroom anywhere up to 15 times/day. I don't think anything of it. No one has ever questioned how many times I use it in a day. I don't restrict anything that I eat, so some days I go to the bathroom more than others, depending on what I eat. This also sometimes leads to very watery output. I haven't ever let this bother me. If I know that I'm doing something specific the next day (traveling, going somewhere with limited bathroom availability, etc.) I make sure I eat supper early and don't eat anything after that. Then usually I will empty it in the morning and I can usually go until well after lunch until I need to use the bathroom again.

I work full-time and don't usually have an issue at work. I work as a Paramedic, so I have pretty hectic days at times, and sometimes it can be hours before I have access to a bathroom, but I've never had issues... If I can do the job I do... then I believe that anyone can do just about anything they put their mind to

Hope this helps a little.......

eddie

I am a RN working 12-hour shifts. I was put on Lomotil when I first had surgery, but I hate to take medication. I have found that I usually have to empty my pouch when I need to urinate, so no problem. I am on my feet a lot and sometimes feel like I run all day. Maybe you could work half days for a while.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Chelle21

I work full time and I usually empty once a day at work. I try to watch what I eat slowly so I won't have gas, and I try to not drink out of a straw. I have a cup that I keep at work that I drink water out of. Imodium always works well for me. I try to take one after I empty.

balancedpath

I am both an ileostomate of 10 years and a natural healthcare practitioner. High output, especially watery, suggests that your diet is inappropriate. I would not suggest the fiber approach you've been taking, but I would seek out a practitioner who will test you on various foods. If you don't want to take that route or cannot afford it, then replace the following foods in your diet: dairy, sugar, coffee, wheat (possibly all gluten products), corn, soy, tomatoes, potatoes. Stay away from these foods in all their forms for a minimum of 6 weeks, at which point you will reintroduce these foods (unless you already suspect an issue, then stay away from it) one every 4 days. If you notice any kind of symptom or worsening of ongoing symptoms, then take that food out of your diet. It is an imperfect but inexpensive way of getting yourself back on track. You may eat a minimal amount of fruit and/or a few ounces of 100% fruit juice (drink mostly water and herbal or green tea in moderate amounts).

budd002

I have had my ileostomy for 12 years and I often have watery and/or gassy output. I have found that vegetables are a HUGE gas producer for me, so I avoid them as much as I can or I try to time when I do eat them. I will eat them at lunch so by the time they "hit," I'm halfway home at the end of the day. If I'm having excessive watery output, I'll have a bit of salad to thicken. Of course, I chew, chew, chew the lettuce, and that seems to help me. Of course, you have to take time into consideration. It's not an instant fix; I usually take 3-4 hours to digest something, so by dinner, my put put is starting to thicken.

I'm lucky I work in a small office, just me and my best friend of 33 years, so when my guts start making their noises, we giggle about it. But when I'm in my night class, which is after dinner, and it starts up, I rest my hand over my ostomy and chalk it up to eating my dinner too fast to make it to class on time. Another student I sit beside said they need to come up with a stomach "Liquid Plumber" for the rumblings he has had to listen to.

Marfil

My surgeon suggested Imodium AD in tablet form. When I notice my output has become loose, I take 3 tablets. It usually works within hours. I have had an ileostomy for four years.

balancedpath

In addition to my previous reply regarding getting on the correct foods for you (not eating foods you are sensitive to), it is imperative to address other potential issues: enzyme insufficiency (easily corrected by taking digestive enzymes with meals), fungal/yeast issues (hard to treat but with a rotating monthly antifungal supplement, diet, and probiotic program, it can be overcome), and other potential issues that are best not mentioned in a forum like this.

Be well.

Past Member

This is what I do. It works for me, and I do construction work installing hardwood floors, etc. Acetaminophen with codeine (T1) - you can buy them over the counter. I'm sure some people would be appalled, but you know what? It's better than the alternatives when you have an ostomy. Find what works for you because you're the one who has to live with it. I have had mine for 18 years and have found nothing that works better. Just be careful not to take too many. Believe me, you will know if you do. I take 3 in the morning and I'm good most of the day. Just my suggestion.

lexus1

I try to eat dinner by 4-5 pm on days before work. I still may have to dump, but it mainly is when I whiz so I'm already there. Hoo boy, I was sitting in the dentist office~ it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop; then pffffftswwwwwp! Yeah, it was my stoma "barking" I was alone except for one man and he was so trying not to notice the sounds...I ended up heading outside but giggled all the way; Try to keep a sense of humor about it all and things should work out. I'm just heading back to full-time work (I hope! I had an interview yesterday) And this question is on my mind also but hey, I'm alive and it's all worth it. I wish you the best. Lex

Past Member
www.youtube.com it or you can www.foxnews.com and put in House full episodes and if that don't work you can put it in Google and then full episodes as this Doctor knows one is good, but three is all better. He is a British man who has to play an American Doctor and he hit a home run with his show as us people in the US love this man. I've been watching him a long time, but for every show I missed, I rented off of Netflix and when all done, put them back in my mailbox and waited for the others. Best damn show they ever put on TV for us adults who can get into a good sense of humor. Anyway, I couldn't thank you enough for that laugh as I am still tickled, Lovely, Jenny
rosebud621
I have a illeostomy and have wondered if a probiotic works without a colon ? What are digestive enzymes ? Kathi