Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

Diabetes & Ileostomy

Posted by Past Member, on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:39 pm
Does anyone have ileostomy & Diabetes?  Difficult to stay on a diabetic diet because of foods cannot tolerate due to the fiber.  Any suggestions? Would like to talk to someone like me.

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm
I don't have your set of problems - but like everyone on this site, we have our own problems and find support and info from others.  

Someone with similar issues will connect soon.  Be confident that others are here to listen you and to help you find your solutions. Several of my family members have diabetes and different things work for each of them.

It sounds like you have an interesting life story.  You might want to share it at some point.  Maybe a blog.  

Carol 'dawneagle'

Reply by lottagelady, on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Yes I do - stoma nurse says no fibre, which totally goes against all the advice given for a diabetic diet .....

I'm afraid I just eat what I want to eat - having said that it isn't doing me much good! I do eat salad and fruit and some veggies - peas, runner beans, cabbage mostly and not often, also manage coleslaw but do chew it a bit more.

Rach xx

Reply by Immarsh, on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:51 pm
Hi,

My name is Marsha, and I've had my ostomy for more than 40 years.  I experimented back then, as to what kind and how much fiber I could eat.  Salad, in moderate portions are fine, but not on an empty stomach.  I used to be able to eat corn, not so much anymore.  Things have changed some as I've gotten older, and developed more digestive issues.  I've never been able to eat raw carrots, or celery, and while I can eat cooked cabbage, and cole slaw, I can't eat raw cabbage.  Sometimes, it's very strange, but I adapt.

When I became diabetic about 15 years ago, I had to reduce the amount of easy to digest foods.....potatoes, rice and bread & pasta.  I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for about 8 years, so I've also had to reduce the amount of fruits I eat too.    When I developed kidney & potassium issues, I had to say goodby to bananas....  While it hasn't been easy, I still manage to eat healthy.  I gave up "white stuff" for about a year, and lost 40 pounds.  Yes, I managed to live without potatoes, bread, rice, cookies, cake etc.  These days, I eat 1-2 servings of carbs a day, when my sugar levels are low or stable.  I  indulge on ocassion with a bowl of oatmeal.  I try to stay away from pasta, because I can't control myself, and have a small portion but I'll often have 1/2 a baked potatoe or  sweet potato.   I eat a lot of vegetables, but cook them very well.  I love grilled Zucchin & Eggplant, and asparagus,   as  well as steamed cauliflower & broccoli.  I'm experimenting with making soups ( curried cauliflower soup etc or "lite" cream of broccoli soup.  I enjoy cooking, so that helps.  

It's really about knowing your system, and making sensible choices, for easy digestion & stable blood sugar.  I did a doubly "whammy" last night.....had a vegetable stromboli & a piece of mushroom pizza.  Way too much bread and too many hard to digest veggies.  Today, stomach cramps as the veggies found their way out, and high blood sugar = more insulin.  
Tonight's dinner, salad & grilled fish, and a small piece of bread.  sigh....  Best of luck to you.  It's a balancing act.

Reply by HubbMom, on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 pm
Hi,  I have had an permanent ileostomy for Crohns since 1989.  Shortly after that surgery, I became a Type 1 diabetic while pregnant with my first child.  I've been using an insulin pump for the diabetes since about 2004.  I'm the queen of accessories (LOL).  

But in answer to your question about diet, I'm lucky that very little seems to negatively affect my ostomy (besides brown rice). I know what you mean though about a diabetic diet.  They recommend lots of nuts and fiber.  So, I guess I've approached things by being very moderate in my food choices.  If I am eating a serving of nuts, I make sure to have a lot of water.  I'll only eat a very small ear of corn, and I stay away from anything I've had a bad experience with (ie. brown rice).   I generally eat a healthy diet of lean meat, cooked veggies, and moderate carbs.  It seems to work so far.

Hang in there.  It can be overwhelming to have both issues but it is possible.  : )

Reply by jrsulli, on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 pm
also try fruit and vegge smoothies, google them you will find some great ones good way to get your veggies and fruits in, try in moderation to make sure they do not bother you, I have only had my ileostomy for 2 months but don't have problems eating anything.

Reply by melissagwen, on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 am
I eat a lot of vegetables, but cook them very well.  I love grilled Zucchin & Eggplant, and asparagus,   as  well as steamed cauliflower & broccoli.  I'm experimenting with making soups

Reply by 2tired, on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Is this thread still active? I notice the dates on the messages go back a while.

In case the thread is still active, I'd like to say that I have both diabetes and an ileostomy. I also have chronic kidney disease. Trying to find a diet that accommodates all three of these conditions is proving fruitless. I'm doing the best I can, but I've had three blockages in the 11 months since my surgery. (Two doctors told me the main cause was scar tissue, not food. But one doctor on my most recent hospital say asked me very pointedly: "What did you eat?!?" I felt as if I were being blamed for the blockage. But as I said, I can't find appropriate dietary info that takes all three of my conditions into account. Also, I don't have the energy to make fancy recipes every day. I need easy options. I'm hoping that if anybody is still following this topic, someone will be able to share some ideas. Thanks.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.