Travel Insurance for Ileostomy - Need Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on obtaining travel insurance for individuals with an ileostomy.
margie

I am travelling for the first time soon and I'm not sure whether I need to get special insurance because I have an ileostomy. Has anyone got any thoughts about this? If so, please let me know.
Thanks,
Marjorie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bob.hewson
I only have a urostomy, but the situation for what you ask is not much different. Just because we carry our new friend with us will not make us more or less in need of travel insurance.

While we are slightly more likely to need something done while we are away, anything can happen to anyone, so travel insurance is important. Saying that, many people never take out any sort of insurance for anything.

You should take out insurance applicable to where you are going and insure it pays your way home if you have an emergency. You don't need special insurance. Try that again, I have never heard of needing special insurance, and I have only taken out standard insurance.

Get a letter from your doctor [with letterhead] stating what you have and what you need to carry with you to support your situation. Also, get them to list any and all medication you may be on. Take enough appliances, etc., in your carry-on as your main bag could be mislaid for days. Been there, done that. If it is a long flight, have what you may need very handy, and you may find an aisle seat to get there quickly is another good idea.

Then settle back and enjoy your travel.

Bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
margie

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. It was helpful to get your opinion.
Marge

Primeboy

You need to carefully review your own health insurance policy, Margie. I traveled overseas last year and understood that Medicare (USA) did not work abroad, but my secondary insurance did. Take the time to understand your benefits and restrictions when traveling. Plan on worst-case scenarios if only to protect yourself. It's nice to travel with peace of mind.

Immarsh
Hi Margie,

Glad to hear you're going to be traveling. I travel often, and all over the world, but in the past I've only taken out travel insurance for reimbursement if I had to cancel due to illness. I have developed many conditions over the past few years, so in addition to all my ostomy supplies, I take a CPAP (for apnea) and all my diabetic supplies and meds on the plane with me. I don't leave it to chance that they will arrive safely at the same destination I will. Two years ago, however, I was getting over a bout of kidney failure (blocked ureter) and had a stent inserted. My son lives in Australia and suggested that I take out medical insurance since they have socialized medicine there. I wasn't quite sure if my private insurance would cover a hospitalization if needed. So I did take out medical insurance for the length of the trip. I'm glad I didn't need it, but having it gave me one less thing to worry about. This time, I felt I was healthier, so I didn't take out insurance. I guess it does make a difference as to where you are going and what type of facility you would need if you became ill.

Where are you going? PS....It would be a good idea to carry prescriptions for all your meds with you. I haven't, but I'm going to start doing that.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ilsn2u

The only advice I have on travel (and we've done quite a bit of that) is to take along twice as many appliances as you think you'll need...it may not be easy to get them at your destination. Better to have them and bring them home, rather than need them and not have them. Good luck!

Past Member

I just returned from Scotland. We were there for 5 weeks. Everywhere we stayed in B&Bs were so considerate. They always made sure I had things that I could eat for breakfast. I am glad I had taken more appliances than I needed. I felt secure. I changed about every other day. When I am at home, I change about twice a week.
I always get travel insurance because one never knows what will happen.
The only negative thing that happened was when I was going through security from London. I told the guard that I had a colostomy and she said "uh-huh" and patted me down and asked what I had. She pulled up my shirt and said, "Oh."