Help! Bag's Air Hole Staining My Undershirt

Replies
Views
Opa Ray

The little air hole in my bag often leaves a stain on my undershirt. Any suggestions?

california nurse

Is the air hole you're referring to an integral part of your pouch (a vent) or a hole you made yourself to vent your pouch? If you're poking the hole yourself, don't. A pouch vent generally has a charcoal filter and escaping gas shouldn't stain; if the vent doesn't have a vent, you may want to change products.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Opa Ray

Thanks for the reply. I referred to the air-hole in the pouch. I do often rinse the bag out with water to remove the heavy stool and clean it out. This may be the wrong thing to do?? Opa Ray

Xerxes
Hi Opa Ray,

I had the exact same problem. I just stopped using the appliances with the filters. I am now filterless and stainless.

X_
Opa Ray

Hi Xerxes, thanks for the tip. Will get in touch with my supplier. If you do like hiking, try our beautiful BC. And lots of space!! Greetings. Opa Ray

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bluezz

Opa Ray,

I take it you do mean the filter, which for me lasts for about 1 hour until the stoma wets it! Then it is no good. I used to get stains at first. Then the nurse said look in the box of pouches, there should be little white stickers...there were..lol Place them over the hole when it fails or at night when the output can reach the hole. Definitely before a shower also!!

Hope this is not "old" news to ya

Ian

I can't remember who, but some bag company sent me some stick-on charcoal patches. They flew like a Led Zeppelin. (For me, and it was a while ago now.) Find a thin tape ('micro-pore' thin so it comes off when you want it to, as opposed to 'sleek' which will not come off at all) and use it when sleeping, swimming, and whatever.

Or wear brown shirts.

WOUNDED DOE

Hello Opa Ray. As far as the stain problem, the best thing I have ever used is something called "Whisk Away". It works great on taking out stains. Good luck! As for the "air hole", the most comfy pouches I like to wear have the filter, and I really don't like the filter idea at all. But that style of pouch does not come without the filter. So, I just put a small piece of duct tape over the filter "hole". That darn duct tape is good for everything, I swear! Nothing will escape the duct tape, no odor and no seepage. At least, that is my experience anyway. Good luck!
Past Member

If you're looking to get rid of stains, definitely get Oxi-Clean. I've used it for years to get stains out. Probably the best working stuff I've seen. You can get it in a spray bottle now. You can see it foam over stains before you even put it in the wash. It's pretty incredible for one of those "as seen on TV" deals.
There's also this stuff called Greased Lightning that does the same thing.