Need help finding a reliable convex bag for my ileostomy in the UK!

Replies
Views
Franicaa

I've got a question:

Since having a loop ileostomy, it's been difficult finding bags that stick (and stay stuck) to my skin. You see, at first, my stoma kept falling in under my skin and causing me problems, but I got some special convex bags that push it out. I've also increased the number of carbs I eat to get it to grow a bit and it seems to work. However, because of the shape of the bags and the fluctuations of weight I suffer with (I never have any energy and it only takes a few days for me to gain or lose weight), my bags tend to fall off or leak quite often.
I'm currently using Pelican Select Convex in the UK, but when I bathe, the sticky bit melts away and I usually have to get out of the bath in a rush to make sure it doesn't fill with poop! The bags only come in boxes of 10, and where I used to wear my old bags for a few days at a time, I always run out too soon or end up with a leak in public where I've forgotten to change my appliance!

Someone please help! I need a convex bag I can get in the UK, preferably off the Charter Healthcare website, or something that will hold my bags on for longer even when I'm in the bath or swimming!!

mild_mannered_super_hero

Since you have no replies.... I will ask, do you use the Eakin rings? They will increase your wear time.
I am not in the UK, so I'm not familiar with that brand of appliance.
When you change out, do you use unscented and no lotion soap to clean the site with?
Most leaks are caused by improper skin prep before the appliance is put on.
When you change, mark it down on the calendar, inspect the flange daily for signs of trouble. This will help you determine your average wear time. Once you have that sorted out, you can simply subtract a day if you want added security.
I change every 7 days... I can go longer, but by this method, I can go more confidently and never worry about a leak in public. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Have you tried Coloplast convex bags? I absolutely love Coloplast! They are easy on the skin also. I could advertise for them! They make several convex bags, pre-cuts or the cut-to-fit ones. I prefer their Easiclose wide outlets. They are the deal!! I've found nothing like them!! Like I said, I could advertise for them! If ya gotta have a bag, these are the ones IMHO. They make 2-piece, 1-piece in both cut to fit and pre-cuts.

Also if you have what my ostomy nurse calls a "ditch" beside your stoma, you may have to fill it in with something like an Eakin ring or an Adapt ring. I prefer the Adapt rings by Hollister #7805. I actually cut a very small triangle out and mold it to fit a small "ditch" area on one side of my stoma. Otherwise, I would have leaks. But this does the trick. I've not had a leak in a very long time thankfully! Depending on how the skin around the stoma is shaped, you may have to use a full-size ring around it, but I don't have that problem, so the rings last me a really long time.

Hope this helps!
cee
Dear Franicaa,

I have a "dimple" where the hole is and had a real problem with sticking and terrible pain where the leaks would occur. I tried a number of different appliances from various companies here in the States. I eventually settled on Convatec with convexity. These come in various sizes. I also use Eakin seals and a belt that holds the appliance tight. When I get cocky and think I don't need to wear the belt anymore and ditch it..well, then I get a terrible red sore area around the dimple. Back to the belt. Which isn't really a big deal. When I get a burn then I change more frequently which I find helps. Normally, I do a change twice a week but if I get a skin meltdown and pain then every 2 days.

Best of luck,
Cee
Ian

Would a belt help? Even when you're out in the wild or in the bath?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
banshie3by5
Hi. For me, Eakin seals with convex wafers (Coloplast) are the best. But most importantly is how you apply the products.

For example, mine work better if I use nothing on my skin beforehand (skin prep/barrier). I also don't use glue removers as they irritate my skin. The Eakin rolls off nicely without scrubbing or adhesive remover. And HEAT is a major issue. Use a heater, lamp, or hair dryer to warm the pieces to almost hot (careful not to burn yourself). This softens the glue's plastic so that the glue sticks smoother and the pieces shape to your tummy better.

It's like butter on bread....you can use it from the fridge but it spreads much smoother the more it's warmed up. When traveling, or whatnot, you can stick them in your armpits for 5 minutes to at least bring them to body temp. I only get a 2-day stick that way, as opposed to a 4-5 day stick when I use a heater.
valleyjohn

Try coating the adhesive area with a ring of paste (Adapt and Stomahesive are some brand names), especially where you have creases in your skin. Also, make sure that the entire area is DRY DRY DRY.

kbd

I second the idea of a belt. When I first got my colostomy, one side of the stoma was very close to the skin. Since I started wearing belts, the whole stoma sticks out more now. As for weight, milkshakes will put weight on, and nutrition shakes like Boost are both good for you and help keep up your weight.