Possible Blockage! Please Help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mis010fit

I've not passed much output in at least the past month. The past week it's gotten worse.
I have a Hartman's pouch. A diverting colostomy, because of pelvic outlet issues. But NONE of the colon was removed.
Each night I take Colace, Miralax, and drink some prune juice.
Last night, I couldn't sleep. Felt so full and nauseous, so I got up and paced the floors.
It slams on the bladder. Sometimes some mucus comes from the rectum.
Output all but stopped.
How do they clear a blockage? Do people ever HAVE to irrigate?
I've been drinking Gatorade, coffee, some apple juice, water, but cannot drink much because of the full feeling.
Last year, they thought I had a partial small bowel obstruction and they jammed in the n.g. tube. I fear this again. Anyone ever have the n.g. tube? How did you cope?
My doctors are way out of town, and the only transport I have is Medicaid, which you need to give them at least 48 hours notice.
How do you deal with blockages? What are your symptoms?
I am afraid to eat, and I have absolutely no appetite.
What is "safe" to eat?
I bring some gas up.
Tomorrow I'm to have a pelvic abdominal CT scan with contrast (gastrograffin...not barium.)
Can the CT scan show if there is a blockage or if I'm just backed up?
In the past, X-rays have shown ileus, air and stool throughout the colon.
Sorry to ramble on, but I am terrified!
Should I have them call the doctor tomorrow after the CT scan?
I've had other pelvic/abdominal surgeries.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eddie

Drinking liquids helps, but if you can hang on until tomorrow the CT scan will tell if you have an ileus or obstruction. Good luck.
Eddie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mis010fit

Eddie,
Thank you for suggesting liquids to me.
I'm doing the liquids now, but very slowly.
Will try to hang in there until tomorrow.
I am going to give the tech my surgical history, as well as tell what my past x-ray/CT findings have been. Will also mention about what was thought to be a partial last year.
Just no appetite and somewhat nauseated. And some more stuff came from rectum.
Maybe I can ask the tech to have radiologist call Dr. with a preliminary reading, and then see what Dr. says.
Just very difficult when I'm Medicaid, near the N.Y. / Pa. border, but Drs. are about 70 or so miles away, and I've no car to get to them.
Very scary and discouraging.
Thank you for wishing me good luck.

eddie

I understand, yes tell the tech how much discomfort you are having, also ask when the radiologist will read the scan, while there or before you go call your family physician's office for direction. Hopefully someone will help.
Eddie

mis010fit

I will definitely tell the tech how terrible I feel.
Will write my past histories, also. Am taking cell phone and will also ask the radiology dept. to call the colorectal Dr.
My family Dr. is only in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He does not deal with the colorectal issues and says to see a colorectal Dr.
I did manage to eat some chicken noodle soup awhile ago.
Last night I took some liquid Colace and some Miralax, but I think it made me worse.
Other than blockage, my other main fear is enemas/irrigation.
When the Dr. has reached in stoma, I got sharp pains way inside.
All I do is get very upset.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on things.
If the Drs. were only closer to me. I am in a small area almost in the middle of nowhere.
"Drinkwater," N.J.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister