Feeling Nervous About Barbie Butt Surgery

Replies
Views
beatrice

Well, I got a call today with the surgery date. Why am I suddenly not feeling so brave??

The rectal stump has been nothing but problems and I know it has to go (had ileo Dec 09).

Looking at the positives ... and please send good thoughts my way. Thanks all!

DH

I'm not sure what the rectal stump is. But I had my entire rectum and anus removed, and I have a Barbie butt. I had the surgery about two months ago due to rectal cancer. Recovery time took about 7 weeks. But I am now pain-free and can sit without pain. The soreness does go away. Every now and then, it feels like something is going to drop out of my butt where I used to have an anus opening. But my surgeon said I am just feeling the muscle tissue. But he checked me first to make sure it wasn't a hernia first. It took me a while to get used to my colostomy, but it becomes more routine every day. As long as you have a good surgeon, you should be fine. And there are advantages to having a Barbie butt. No more burning, pain, or itching before or after bowel movements. And you can never be sodomized by a rapist. HA HA! Just thought I would throw in some humor. Good luck with your survey. Donna

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice

Thanks for the humor, Donna!

I've got about 6" of rectum left -- the entire large colon was removed due to years of severe UC.
The 'stump' is bleeding continuously, mucus and there's rectal cancer in close relatives.

So ... it's definitely the thing to do. Just now that there is a date ... jittery. Had some crappy experiences in hospital ...

Glad to hear you felt pretty good after 7 weeks. I want to be up and about to put up Christmas decorations in mid-November (it takes us about 3 weeks to get everything set up outside ... yes, we're kinda like the Griswolds)

scotiaman

Hi.... just want to wish you well getting through your surgery. I had my rectum removed 6 months ago, it all went quite well... have had no associated pain, that area sweats and this may cause a bit of an irregular feeling... I asked my surgeon once how it was that he gave my butt a different personality for each day of the week...meaning as things heal, it can feel different back there day to day..but it's only noticeable when you let your mind focus on it. Otherwise, after 6 months all is fine and I'm glad it is over.

My reason for the surgery was much like your own, having decided I did not want to bother with the issues relating to a reversal (that decision may have been different had I had a colostomy) my rectal stump was still dealing with UC after the ileostomy. Also, I wanted to eliminate the probability of rectal cancer which is often advanced long before it is diagnosed. Keep light on the food as your bowel wakes up after surgery... I was out in 6 days but ate a bit too aggressively and had to be readmitted due to a blockage....that resulted in 5 more days in the hospital and months to heal my abdominal incision which had opened wide during the blockage.... also...have a round rubber butt pillow close by, it will be your best friend for a few weeks lol ....Best of luck

Scotiaman

Past Member

Me too, Barbie.

Good luck, gal. Go get 'em. Break a leg, you'll show 'em, and all the other good expressions
to wish you well!!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
nogutz

Good luck, Beatrice, and wishing you a speedy recovery. I have been following some of your posts and replied to a few. I somewhat understand what you are going through and the tough decisions that go with it. I am sure you will be ready for the Griswold tradition. Take care.

beatrice

Thanks all! Now that the date has been set ... I'm feeling more set too. It has to be done eventually ... now is as good a time as any.

Tuesday I go for a pre-assessment appointment -- 3 hrs! I meet with the anesthesiologist and the pain team. Also get bloodwork, an EKG, x-ray and go over all the meds I'm currently taking. Get a surgery and post-surgery rundown.

Got to say I'm impressed with the thoroughness. This is a different hospital than where I had the ileo done..

Hopefully I'll be home in about 5 days. And after some R&R, I'll be decorating the house! We're building some more Christmas Trees this weekend. Isn't that what most people do in August in 80deg heat?

Hugs to all

Ian

G'day, what is a Barbie Butt?

Please excuse my ignorance. I got a hot cross butt. Well, I did last time I looked. Cheers
(Wasn't Easter either)

Ian

WOUNDED DOE
I'm sending you healing energy, sweetie, and you are in my thoughts....you will be MUCH happier having a Barbie butt, hunny........trust me.  Try to relax and put your mind at ease. ..........Everything is going to be just fine, dear. xoxo
mooza

Yeah, good luck. Better than mine, I hope. Oops, I am baaaaaa Barbie, but I like that. I think you know a Barbie has no bum. Get it? The doll, lolol....

Donna, sodomy? Really, ewwww. Not the only way, matey!! Ewww.

I'm sending best wishes from Down Under. How's that?!!! Mooza Australia, hahahaha.