Help! Major Problems with Ostomy from the Get Go

In this discussion
Replies
Views
alliejmw
hi guys
I have had an iliostomy after a failed J-Pouch surgery (the surgeon attempted to do it in one step and not 2 and the pouch failed) and have been having nothing but trouble with it since. This is going on 2 years now. After the pouch failed my surgeon said it was because I was to fat and that I needed to be down to 175 lbs before he will do it again. I recently got the lapband done and have lost 50lbs...have 20 to go.

From the beginning there have been problems. I cramp up every time I eat anything. Sometimes the cramps are really bad. What is even worse is that we cannot get an appliance to fit right. I thought I finally had it licked as we finally had one where, if I didn't shower or swim (bathed over the sink and washed my hair over the tub) it would stay for 4 days. Now is different. I was molded the other day because the stoma hole for the outputting of waist is dipped so low that it is trying to go back into my stomach! I have to wait 2 weeks for that new appliance to come so they fitted me with something new for the meantime as well as something to place on the skin under the stoma because it is so burned because of leakage that it weeps. Those appliances lasted one day each. I just put my last one yesterday and it is now leaking. I am at my witts end! I called my stoma nurse and she wont bring me in to try another temp appliance. Her advice? To put a zinc oxcide barrier on the skin around the stoma...then cover it skin with something like Depends cut to fit around the stoma to catch the waste and just leave the stoma open!!! For the next 2 weeks!! I will be totally bed ridden because I cannot walk around with a wide open stoma. And she said I should only eat yogurt, pudding, ice cream, and an occaisional bananna as to keep the output as low as possible.

I am not sure what you guys might be able to do or say to help me outbut I do not know where else to turn. It is bad enough that none of the appliances I have tried in 2 years have allowed for me to get it wet at all and have it still stick afterwards. now this! I also now have a peristomal hernia that gives me almost constant pain. My surgeon will not go in and even put a mesh around it because, again, I am to fat, but he will not give me anything for pain. Do any of you have any ideas? I feel like a monster. And I will become malnurished if I have to go 2 weeks with just eating yogurt.

If anyone has any ideas please reply to this. I am anxious to say the least. I have a 16 year old son...how is he going to feel seeing his mother stuck in bed with an open stoma that always has poop on it!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Hi Allie,
Are you still seeing the same surgeon? If you are, there's your problem. He sounds like he is blaming his failed surgery on your weight. What BS! Find out who the top GI surgeons are at Jefferson in Philly. Better still, go up to Mt. Sinai in Manhattan. Get a second opinion from one of these doctors who may even take you on and put you on the right path. I cannot believe how many ostomates here owe their misery and misfortune to quacks. You owe it to yourself not to settle for second-rate medical care if you can get better. On another note, your son may feel worse if he sees you that way and believes nothing can be done. Good luck!
Prime
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Lalu
Hi, Allie. Sorry things suck so much for you right now. I was going to make the same suggestion as Primeboy - it blew me away that he suggested Mt Sinai. I had one of my resections done there - the Dr. used an old scar from my previous resection. Did such a great job, that I actually had to show doctors recently where the scar is, since they couldn't even see it. The same Dr. took out my gallbladder the following year and did a Whipple procedure on my mother a year after that, when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. When I was there 15 years ago, there was one wing on one floor just for GI patients. On the door to each room was the name of the doctor and almost all the patients were treated by my doctor or one of his partners. Don't know if it's a no-no on this site to give names of doctors, but guess I'm about to find out. My GI surgeon was Joel Bauer; sorry, don't remember his partners' names, but I remember thinking that while everything I'd heard about his partners was wonderful, of all of them, I thought Dr. Bauer had the best bedside manner. If he had done my emergency resection 2 years ago, instead of having 3 surgeries in 12 days, the 3rd of which ended in the ileo, I'd bet anything that I would have had one resection and wouldn't have an abdomen that looks like it belongs in a horror movie. I apologize to the admin if I gave too much info - will know for next time. Best of luck, Allie.
Suz2
Oh, girl! I feel for you! I agree completely with Primeboy and Lalu. See another surgeon, get another opinion! I worked as a medical lab tech for 20 years and I've seen a number of docs that blamed everything or anyone else for problems patients had after procedures. There was a surgeon at the hospital I worked at that was wonderful AND took responsibility for his actions. I'm just sad he passed away a few years ago.

I wonder if you have adhesions that are pulling your stoma in. That would be something to ask about.

When I was having problems with bad leaking and having to change my appliance almost every day, I called Hollister and talked with a customer service rep who was very caring and helpful. I spent a lot of time on the phone with her and she sent me samples of different products and told me how she wanted me to use them. That was the best phone call I EVER made! I now change every 4 days and have no leakage. I don't know what product you use, but try their customer service and see if they have any suggestions.

In the meantime, I know there has to be a better surgeon where you live, you just need to find one!

Good luck!