No matter how long since your surgery, still a learning experience

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Celeste

I've had an ileostomy for 7 years and wear a 2-piece Convatec appliance.

Went to my daughter's Parent/Student orientation in Galveston this past weekend. Sorta like a mini vacation too. We did a lot of walking and enjoyed the sand and ocean and the downtown district also. Lots of live bands and lots of good food...
I woke up Sunday morning around 3:15 with my bag blown up tight and hardly able to get out of bed. I made it and noticed that I had also had a leak. Got that all fixed back up and noticed how weak I felt and kinda nauseated. Was able to go back to sleep and woke up around 7 with a blown up bag again. (Both times the smell was horrific... ugh) We stopped at a store on our way to church and got a Gatorade... light blue... mmmm... I sipped on it. No appetite at all. Afterwards, we went back to her apartment, and I laid down on her bed... wondering how in the world was I going to drive back to East Texas as bad as I felt. Felt like if I could just puke that I would feel fine...
Well, yep I did it... closed the bathroom door and proceeded to do the finger on the throat... ewww... but, to my surprise... had 6 semi-smushed mushrooms come out... I felt like a million dollars... I sure thought I had chewed those up better the night before when we had them fried with a delicious sauce and also a chicken-fried steak and half a baked potato, and salad...
So the reason I am writing this is to let you know... Chew, chew, chew your food.
I love fried mushrooms but, no more for me for now.
Celeste

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Celeste, thanks for the story. It is so good to hear and be reminded of such things. We all "twist off" from time to time about different things. I am so glad it didn't have more negative results. Dawneagle

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
clippergirl
Hi Celeste: I just had to reply to your comment about the mushrooms....I have had my ileo for 51 years and even though I can eat anything I want.....I have never, ever been able to digest mushrooms. No matter how much I chew them (or think I have chewed them), they come out just like they went in. I find that applies to whatever way they are prepared...so I try to stay away from those little monsters....I have had only one blockage in the last 10 years, and it was from one mushroom. I hope you never have to go through that again.
Xerxes

Clippergirl,

Wow, my comments exactly when it comes to mushrooms. I have an ileo for 32 years and I have always found these buggers to cause trouble. For some reason, they linger and linger. I have found that sometimes up to three days later I am still passing them. But, wow do they taste so good going in.

X_

Happiness

Mushrooms I love, but they sure don't digest!!!! I have had my ileostomy for 28 years. I can eat a very few of them and chew, chew, chew.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister