I'm Disappearing

In this discussion
Replies
Views
DH
Has anyone experienced unexplained weight loss after having a colostomy? I know it's normal to lose weight while recovering from major surgery, but it's been a couple of months and I now eat a normal amount of food. Sometimes I even go on eating binges, yet I am still losing weight. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if it has anything to do with my colostomy, or from the cancer I had which is the reason for my colostomy in the first place.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hi, since you have no replies. I am a cancer survivor also, you will go through many changes...have faith because you will get through it. I did have some weight loss, and my sleep patterns changed dramatically immediately after my surgery...I had a lot on my mind. It's been over 10 years for me now and I can tell you things will improve, give it a little time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy
Hi DH,
I had an ileo nearly 2 years ago and lost about 30 pounds. I don't eat as much as I once did, but a few pounds are now finding their way back. I would not worry about weight loss over the 2 short months since your surgery. MMSH is right: give it time. In the meantime, enjoy the remaining Jersey blueberries and tomatoes. Also, worry about the known, not the possible. You'll live longer and happier.
P.
Bill
Hello DH,

I had a colostomy a few months ago and I too have lost weight. However, although I try to maintain a constant weight and I can't really afford to lose any, I'm not particularly bothered about it yet. I am eating more than I used to and a greater variety of foodstuff so at present I'm enjoying the freedom that the changes have brought about. My logic tells me that it'll all settle down in time and I don't want to try to force the issue to put on weight as my metabolism has always been slow to lose it (except when I've been ill) and slow to put it back on again.

At times when I couldn't eat properly, I found that liquid food such as 'Complan' was quite good at stabilising the system and the body weight.

Patience and positive thinking  can go a long way in these types of circumstances.  However, if it contiues on a losing streak, a trip to the doctor's wouldn't be amiss as he might be able to reassure you.  

Best wishes  

Bill