Good luck

In this discussion
Replies
Views
KennyT
My thoughts go out to everyone in the path of Irene. I am thinking of you all.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Irene is gone but her effects will be felt for a long time, particularly by those folks who are flooded out of their homes. I think having both Irene and an earth quake in one week woke a lot of us up to how fragile we really are.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
KennyT
Yes exactly Prime. Best wishes to all.
PJT
Thanks Kenny. I live in Westchester, just north of the Bronx, and thankfully it ended up being less severe than predicted. In fact, I thought it was kind of funny watching the news and some reporter would be standing in the wind by the shoreline getting pelted by rain and then suddenly someone would ride by on a bicycle, waving at the camera. It just destroyed the drama of the broadcast.
Ian
Hoping Irene been and gone okay.

Ian

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member
I don't wish to down play the consequences of those souls suffering through a hurricaine. But the truth of the matter is that most of it was a news casters hype. I am glad for those who survived it and sorry for the nine that perished. But the media has admitted that they over hyped the story. A true accounting and/or prediction of the story would have served a better end. Sorry.................
KennyT
And the point is???I don't give a damn if the media did whatever!!! There were people sitting in front of that!

Another silly statement.
gutenberg
Living in Florida I would imagine Jack has seen more than his share of Hurricanes and knows of what he speaks and if you watched the news at all you would know he's right. Speaking of silly!!!
KennyT
It has nothing to do with that! I was just wishing each and all well!!
KennyT
And I will do it next time!!
KennyT
Oh and I notice there is some terrible flooding occurring!!
KennyT
Bad media!!!!
Past Member
Way to go Kenny,'

How many hurricaines have you been through? As far as the "MEDIA BE DAMNED" attitude goes.............their job is to inform the general public what the facts are.where to go for help, let the public know what the sacred FEMA is planning to do. not hype the "this is going to be the big one, Ethyl" attitude.few pictures of pick up trucks up to their running boards in water, is not responsible news reporting. I still can't figure out how 9 souls perished, except for that little boy who got crushed by a falling limb. My heart goes out to his family.

In the future Kenny, control your remarks about what you know of, You obviously know nothing about hurricaines and the logistics there of.

By the way Gute......................thanks my friend!!
Past Member
Has anyone noticed the hot dry wind of macho male ego blowing through?
mild_mannered_super_hero

errrrrrr, no. i havent posted yet...!!!!!
KennyT
As I said I just wished everyone the best! Have we lost the message??
KennyT
Next time I won't care Jack!!
Past Member
Kenny,

I owe you an apology. I was just upset with the hype given to this hurricaine compaired to the ones that I have had experience with, starting back in 1960 with Donna. On up through the years, I have been in and involved with,probably a couple of dozen hurricaines.

ANDREW: hit the Miami/Homestead area, a cat-5, real monster. I was in Homestead, Florida the day after it hit. I knew what the needs were gonna be so I loaded up my van with all the ice I could load on it, from Ft Myers, Fla., a three hour drive from Miami/ Homestead.
As I was loading up the ice and preparing to pay for it, the man at the ice house asked me what was I going to do with all that ice? I told him that I was taking it to the hurricaine victems. He
said, "in that case I will only charge you 1/2 price for the ice. I thanked him, paid him and drove off at 3;00 AM arriving there at 6:00 am with my ice. No lights, no power, no business's open. Just total darkess and confusion. At daylight the people began coming out from where ever they spent the night looking for some relief. The odd thing was that the common thread was, every one wanted ice. I have been thru this before and every time they want ice.

In less than an hour all the ice I brought was gone. The next day, Reddy Ice Co., the company that supplies all the 7-11 stores with ice sent an 18 wheeler refrigerated truck down with a load of ice. The driver set up in a parking lot and began selling his ice. He was charging $1.00 per bag. That was less than I paid for the ice that I brought down! He was not gouging.
I saw an amazing thing that day...........the driver was out of ice and a man had just bought the last two bags of ice, whe a lady pushed her baby stroller up and asked to buy a bag of ice. He told her that the man in front of her had just bought the last two bags he had, but that another truck was on it's way. The man who had bought the ice said, "here lady you need this more than me". And he gave her the ice, she offered to pay and the man refused payment.
There are many more stories that I could relate about hurricaine disasters.
My point is that none of the other disasters was reported on in any depth as was this one that barely qualified as a hurricaine, (wind speed has to be 75 MPH to qualify). There was severe rain, and that was bad enough. The part that agravated me was the way the media handled the whole debacle. They were praying for a tragedy! At least FEMA was a little better prepared than they were for Katrina. Still, FEMA is a joke.

What the hell, as usual, a lotta people are gonna make a lotta money off some peoples misfortune and beat their chest as they do it.

Again, sorry Kenny, I was just in a bad mood.
KennyT
It is all ok Jack.