Colostomy Reversal: Time Limit and Risks?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the time limit and potential risks associated with colostomy reversal, providing insights and experiences from community members.
Primadonna

My surgeon tells me you can't get a reversal after four years. Anyone know how long you can wait? I didn't know there was a limit. Mine was done in Dec 2005. He said I'm at a high risk and I have three large hernias too from the surgery, which makes my belly protrude on the side. I still want to have more information on this and maybe get this done one of these days. I have Lupus, that's what makes it serious to have the surgery. I had a stroke after the first surgery. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Wilski

I have had my colostomy for 5 years now. I was never told that there is a limit to how long you can wait. I too have a hernia which I keep in check with an ostomy belt. I don't see why there's an extra risk having waited. I would like to hear others on this subject. The only downside is that the rectal muscles may be weakened. Those can be exercised and strengthened.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Counting My Blessings

My cousin flew down here to Florida to have the reversal done by the inventors of the procedure. He had his colostomy when he was a teenager. He had the reversal done when he was in his forties.

It didn't work but not because of the long time. There were other complications. He had to have the reversal reversed.

I'd get a second opinion from a different rear admiral who does the procedure. Then say aye, aye, and listen to their advice.

I understand the desire to go back to "normal." I can't remember what that was like. I do know that this is so much better than the last 6 months prior to the colostomy. I personally can't go back, but I don't think I'd want to if I could.

Mr nice guy

Wow, you must have other conditions that your doctor doesn't want you having the surgery. I had my reversal 10 years later. My surgeon was very confident of my recovery. There were slight setbacks with mine. Since my lower colon system wasn't used for 10 years, my body had to "remember" how to work properly. I did have to go back and have my anal sphincter loosened a bit. It was excruciating using it for the first time. My body trembled and I could barely stand. I needed it, and after that, I was back to normal. I wish you the best of health.

banshie3by5

I think it's an individual thing. Even though I had declined the reversal, when they went in to complete the surgery, they realized it wouldn't have been possible anyway. 7 months after the resections, the ostomy, the rectal stump had adhered to the back of my cervix so bad that they couldn't remove the cervix, much less reverse the ostomy.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Primadonna

I was very sick after my surgery, that's why he probably doesn't want me to have it reversed. I was in the hospital for 5 months and had a stroke after the surgery, plus I have Lupus. He said it would be 50/50 to get the surgery. I'm overweight too and losing, so I might talk with the doctors again to see what they say.

Primadonna

Sorry for answering so late.