Reversal Concerns - Need Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses concerns and seeks advice related to ostomy reversal, providing insights and support for those considering or undergoing the procedure.
paulak
Hello everyone! I am new around here... I'm 22 years old and I had a Hartman's colostomy in July because of a car accident that caused a rupture in my bowel. It has been very hard for me to accept all that happened, since I am so young, just graduated from university, have a boyfriend, and so on and so forth.
My reversal is scheduled for November, but I've heard so many bad things that I'm a bit apprehensive... I asked my doctor if the part of my bowel he removed was big and he said no, that I probably won't have any problems like diarrhea or anything... But I'm afraid of the adhesions and even the possibility that everything goes wrong and I'll end up with a permanent colostomy.
What do you guys think? I'm really looking forward to having my life back to normal..
Sorry if I wrote something wrong, but sometimes it happens when you're not a native speaker of English =P
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Paula - you have absolutely normal fears - I remember being truly terrified the night before my reversal back in 2004 because it was an elective surgery rather than an emergency. You are young and you had an intact colon prior to your accident, so it sounds like you are a good candidate for success! Think optimistic thoughts and feel your courage...you have gone through so much already - this is just one more bump in the road to recovery! Pinky

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
curly
Hello Paula:

I agree with Pinky, you seem young and strong, just a little scared, as anyone else should be facing the unknown.

I have had no problems with my reversal.

The first couple of weeks are hellish, as with anytime your guts get rearranged. Three months later things are actually quite normal. You may have a bit of diet concerns early but I had salad, pizza, and beer this evening and it was very good.

Good luck

Curly
paulak
Hey guys!
Thanks for your opinions, it made me feel more optimistic.
My other concern is about my job. I recently started working and I'm worried about having to stay for a long time off. Do you think that a month is enough to recover? My job isn't too demanding... Basically, I stay in front of the notebook the whole day.
Mr nice guy

My recovery took as fast as 3 weeks, but I took 1 month just to be on the safe side. I could have taken off longer. But I was ready and eager to start again ASAP. Good luck with yours. Seems you're in good hands and you have youth on your side. Plus, if your boyfriend understands and is supportive, he is a keeper in my opinion.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
nodwell
Hi Paulak, I had a Hartmann's in July 2009. I know what you are thinking, since then I've had an ileostomy, a reversal, and due to the ileostomy stoma, an incisional hernia repair (July 21st, 2011). I've now got a 'seroma' (due to the pig skin patch) and don't know how long it will take to drain, but the 'bottom' line is that I'm now lucky enough to be able to use a toilet pan instead of the bag. Hang on in there.
Stewart xx
nodwell

Sorry, I forgot to say, when you go in for the reversal take in good baby wipes and Sudocrem, they are a godsend LOL

paulak

3 weeks? Wow, that's great! My recovery from the first op was very quick too. The only thing that made me stay at home a little longer was that my incision got infected so the doc had to open it and then it had to heal for itself.

I had to laugh when I read the advice of having to take baby wipes to the hospital. Thanks, I will! LOL

Thanks for your support everyone!

Take care!