How was everyone's summer?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
J.J.
Hi Everyone =)

It's so nice to be back !! I am sorry I haven't been here much since summer started..with four kids in summer activities and all their friends over..by the time I had time to write or read anything I was just to tired!!..but you were all thought of fondly....so..the big question is HOW WAS EVERYONE'S SUMMER!!!?? I would love to hear some updates on my favorite people on the planet!!!

~hugs~
J.J
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

KennyT
My winter was ok.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Anchovie
My summer was not good. Had surgery on May 23rd to fix my stoma (it was inverted and I couldn't get a good seal and have had many bladder and kidney infections for the last two years) the surgery went fine I work up and drank my apple juice, ate my jello... The next day I was still doing okay until the evening and all of a sudden my belly swelled, I was losing blood and they took me back to surgery... My two day hospital stay turned into 11... When I went home, I had my son and his girlfriend there to help me. I developed a headache that continue to get worse and worse. Four days after I had been discharged, I went to the emergency room, they treated me for a migraine, since I have a history of migraines. They sent me home and told me to contact my primary care if I have any more headaches. My head was hurting so bad the next day, the worst pain I have ever felt. So I called my primary care and she told me to go to immediate care, where I again was treated for a migraine.....and was sent home. Two days later a friend came to check on me and took one look at me and told me I was going to the emergency room.This time they did a CT scan and found that I was bleeding into my brain from both sides of my head. I was admitted to intensive care and don't remember too much after that. I awoke a few days later in a regular room and was in the hospsital for seven more days. I was discharged to a nursing home because I lost some abilities. I spent 15 days in the nursing home and then was finally able to go home. Recovery has been slow. I have huge blood clots in my abdominal wall, my surgeon told me that he had to pull my colon away from the abdominal wall and that was why it bled. I had ten transfusions to replace the blood lost. My head bled because I am on coumadin (blood thinner) they think that I overdosed on it, making my blood way too thin.

I am thankful that I have found this site, as I read what other people have been through, I don't feel so alone.
bob.hewson
What is summer, I now live in the Philippines and the average temp where i live is around 32 degrees Celsius 365 days a year, I will admit that sometimes it rains more than other times, but I still have no idea when the wet or dry season is either.

Thing for me have been starting to fall into a pattern now that I have passed my first six months, I feel like I have some experience.

It is amazing how we can forget we have our friend on the side so often but then are reminded so well at other times, like when we don't get the bag fully clicked on [two piece system] and we walk around so happy until we feel the warmth running down our legs. It is bad enough if we are alone at home, but when we have run across to the shops or have a visitor it tends to extend the realization that he is still there.

Later this month I go for my first CT since the removal of the cancer and I am not 100% easy about the possible results, while my doctor was very happy with my operation and did not require Chemo or ray treatment, it is still a very big step to take.

I know there would be no one out there that has ever used the expression, "What if" in their mind or out loud before situations like this. I am the only one to be like this.

Yes I know, but as you know when you are going through this, no matter how many good loving people you have around you and how unlikely the chance of finding any problems may be, you still feel all alone in many ways, even in the arms of your lover.

I started feeling very good about the tests in 5 months time but as it got closer and closer so did the feelings of dread. I have been through all the self lifting tricks I know and at most times I feel better, but sometimes nothing will help.

Some time after the 20th of this month I am due to have my CT, I know that there are no problems, I have been feeling very well, I have had no bleeding, my weight is returning to my preoperative weight, and everything looks so very good
.........................................................................................................................

But, "WHAT IF"

Bob
DH
Hi, Well my summer basically sucked. Because I was recovering from surgery and trying to adapt to my new digestive plumbing. Plus I have just started with some more rounds of chemotherapy which they are giving me as a precaution. But this chemo is alot more aggressive than the one I had before surgery. So I have a lot more side effects this time. But I am glad fall is almost here. I love the fall weather and the colors changing on the leaves. But most of all I am thankful to be alive. And I am thankful that I found this site. It's got so many people with amazing stories and words of encouragement. Whether its cancer,crones disease or anything else that brung us here, we all have one thing in common, we have all been through it. Good luck

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gretkenn
Hello All. I just discovered your site a few days ago. Summer was finally good after the wildfires were put out and the blessed rain came. I've had a colostomy for 10 years and feel as a disability it is weird but not debilitating. I bike, hike, walk, dance, and love life. At my age, 61, I am in better shape than many of my peers. The challenge for me was to make myself as healthy as possible to combat feelings of disability. I think of the little tiny kids who have flanges and want to be a role model (even if it's only in my head) to others. I was fortunate to be working in a clinic when I became ill and the support and love of my co-workers lifted me when I felt down. I carry that to cuddle up to when I feel sad and want to pay it forward to you all. Blessed Be.
KennyT
Wonderful post Gretkenn. There are times when I sit here and are inspired by people and this is one of those moments. Lovely.
MarkP
Cant wait for summer will be interesting going swimming the first time with my bag but am going to.

MarkP
vulcanBMk2
Just got back from a late week in Devon UK. Rained most days ,but we had self catering accomodation so it didnt matter. Did quite a bit of touring around saw most things I wanted to see. Being a Urostomate the first thing if we stopped off for a town visit , attraction , walk, pub grub etc . etc .. was OK so where are the nearest public toilets...?????

I like travelling around UK , one day I must finish my book " Uk Public Toilets I have known Loved " ..........LOL...!!!!
SheliaBaby

Hi JJ! I was surprised to see your post on the forum...but very glad! Good to hear that things are going well for you and the kids. I guess they are all back in school now?

I have been in the hospital or sicker than a dog for most of the summer....on the mend now though (hope hope). Jacen is back in school too....YEAH!!

Sure understand about being busy but i hope I run into you soon...find out what kind of trouble you have been into! LOL

SheliaBaby

funnygurl
Sorry too hear you have been sick Sheila. I spent July in Belize and Mexico. Also took Segway lessons in the river valley (very pretty) and loved it. Going to buy one as soon as Canada decides on their legal status. Hope that is before I am 80. Also have been busy red hatting and playing in my garden.
Primeboy
Hasn't stopped yet and I don't expect it to for a long time. What is it they say? Let the good times roll! I am grateful to wake up every day on the right side of the grass.