Stoma Revision Recovery Time?

Replies
Views
Spooky22

Hello
Am having a stoma revision this week. Has anyone had one before? How long is recovery?
Thanks so much for any input.
Alice Anne Allen

Past Member

Hello, I had one last December. I was back at school 3 weeks later. I was just so happy to get it, so I bounced right back and you will too:)

Paula

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Spooky22

Wow, thanks so much for answering... I was so stupid in the doctor's office, I didn't ask anything, ha... And it is so hard to get through on the phone. Were you in much pain afterwards? Did you have to stay overnight? My doctor said it is a day surgery and we are really close to the hospital. It is so silly, I am freaked about being out with my bag off, ha, so stupid..
Thanks thanks thanks so much for answering!!
Alice Anne Allen
Thousand Palms, California

gutenberg
Good luck Spooky, luckily you had someone who's been there and as for being stupid in the doctors office, forget it, did the doctor think you were up on all the details the surgeon will perform, he is the one who should have volunteered what he knew to you, keep your spirits up and good luck, and be sure to let us know how you made out, Ed
Spooky22

Thanks so much for the reply and good words of encouragement.
On the 2nd day after surgery, I was bruised really badly around the stoma, poor little thing... It always brings tears to my eyes when someone gives me encouragement.
We love Canada and Corner Gas, and Dan For Mayor are our favorite shows. We have all the CDs. Thanks thanks again.
Spooky

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
NancyAnn

Hi, I had a stoma revision to my ileal conduit in 1987. Of course, it was around the Thanksgiving holidays and I couldn't eat much, but everything on TV was food. The surgery went well and I was sent home in about 4 days, but the day I went home I had to come back because I had a blockage in my intestines and was throwing up. It was an air bubble of all things and they had to put a tube down my nose to clear it. I was put back in the room I had just left and the nurse said the next morning, "Didn't you leave?" I said, "Yeah, but I liked it so much I came back."
It wasn't bad though; it made a world of difference in my appliance wearing length too. I had to change it almost every day before, if not twice a day. Now I can wear one for a week at a time. Good luck with your surgery, Spooky!!!

caweekley
I had a stoma revision on August 30th. I spent the night in the hospital and went home in less than 24 hours from the surgery. Since I knew what to expect from my original surgery almost 4 years ago, the doctor wasn't concerned and we weren't either too much. Then when we got home and it was a bloody mess and didn't look like the other one, I was more concerned than before. I went back to the doctor for a follow-up after 2 weeks and didn't think it was healing like it should. He said it is doing just fine. I have had a few of the stitches pull apart, but he said it can happen and it will eventually fill in with good tissue. And if everything goes according to plan, it won't fill up with scar tissue, which caused my stoma to close up in the first place. It will soon be 3 weeks from the surgery, and it is looking better, and I am feeling much better about the new look and feel of the stoma. My biggest advice to you would be not to expect it to look like the old one. My first one stuck out about 1/2 inch, and this one is barely out. We had some trial and error trying to find a new fit with the flange and seals, but it is getting better now that the swelling is going down, and it is healing more each day.

Good luck with your surgery. And please remember with your original surgery, you probably were in the hospital for a week or so. This time you are going home after less than a day. The stoma will be bloody and swollen, and you will be caring for it this time, whereas the nurses were watching and caring for it the first go-around. It will get better, just give it some time, and you will get back to somewhat of a normal routine with the new revised stoma.
StomaSteve

I had my stoma moved to the other side of my stomach due to some fistulas. That surgery was two weeks ago today. For me, this surgery has been a lot harder than my original surgery just because they had to use staples rather than stitches this time to close one of the holes. I was in the hospital 10 days but things have been much better since I have been home.

mooza

Hey Steve, yeah I too have my ileo on the other side. Fistulas are horrible, mate. You know, it gets better, right!!

Ouch, those staples, awww... I was in for less than 10 days. I think only 4 days, but all went well, so I'm sure you will live, hahahaha. A much better time now, still very early as well, matey...

Pop in chat some time xx Mooza... Aust. xx