Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Mysterious little white things in my bag...

Posted by dentalguy22, on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:39 pm
ok all you seasoned ostomates out there.. I have a question for you.. I have been finding tiny little white balls of something in my bag every other day.. hundreds of them!!  don't know what they are, or where they are coming from.. I notice I get some cramping just before they show up in my bag.... I had my doc's look at them and they have different opinions ( as most doc's do..) of what they are...  I'm hearing they are plaque build up, which I don't buy.. and I here they are calcium deposits.. I do take calcium, but I never had this issue till after my surgery and ileostomy...  I don't know what to make of them, I feel like there is a major issue happening here,  my doc's continue to run tests to see whats going on.. I am wondering if any of you have had this issue.. if you have, what was the outcome..what are these things???   send me a message at dentalguy22  
thanks folks!!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:49 am
Great to see you again buddy...Always enjoyed finding you in the chat room..We'll have to do it again soon, okay? Well now about the the "Mysterious white balls" ???? I've no idea. It does sound like calium, and if so, thank goodness they're passing this way instead of as kidney stones or gallbladder blockages !!!! Are you having ANY pain ??? The only other thing I can add is "undisolved medication". In the beginning I was given "Time released" medications and with no colon, the pills came through whole !!!! Calcium being a chewable, would come out in broken and unabsorbed pieces, huh?

Just a thought buddy......Keep me updated.
Missed ya, BEG
Reply by Xerxes, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Hi DG,

Beg's explanation sounds most plausible. Did they do a microscopic on these little things? A microscopic would yield useful information.

X_
Reply by mooza, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 pm
Hey DG this might be not so useful havnt heard of what your saying but not from grains in bread ??? Not that u prob have it anyway just a thought i havnt ever heard of it calium ?? wats that calcium hmmm i could ask my nurse ?? really a mystery get it checked really interested mate about what that could be hope your days a great one xx    mooze x
Reply by PABENTLEY, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 pm
Have you been eating a lot of corn on the cobb? -- here in Pennsylvania we've been eating quite a bit of corn while still in season -- I'm an ileostomate as well and I often see white corn kernals in my bag and sometimes it hurts a bit to pass them it into the bag -- (not enough though to stop me from enjoying corn on the cobb!) -- anyway just a thought --DW Bentley
Reply by Primadonna, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 pm
That happen to me but not that many, there it was my calcium tablets, i switched to gel caps then.  I was wondering what these cardboard things are in my bag. lol..
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 pm
The calcium pills sounds like a good bet!!
But - I was wondering if you've been eating nuts or such??  I know that after I've eaten a LOT of nuts, I see tiny specs in my bag.
Reply by Tropicald, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 am
Calcium sounds reasonable....sometimes I find whole pills in my bag.  I wonder if anyone has had foam in their bag.   Freaked me out....also have lots of air in bag and look like I have a little baby bump.  Anyone else have foam and what do you use to get rid of the massive air?
Reply by banshie3by5, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:40 am
Some of my meds are capsules filled with white granules.  I can tell how much I've absorbed by how many granules show up in my pouch, ha ha.

fyi...don't swallow gum anymore either.  It won't take 7 years to pass through, like the old wives tale says, but it will stick to the inside of your wafer & pouch & anything else.  Even if you have ileo/high-accid output.

Smile~ Marcella
Reply by Bill, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 am
Hello Dentalguy22,
Thank you so much for this posting.  
I too get little white bits but they don't bother me as I know that mine are the inside of chewed up 'nuts'.  However, your post holds much more significance than simply the observation of white particles and it has motivated me to pen a verse on the subject.
I've put it in a blog because I have found it too difficult to write verse in these reply sections
The blog is 'My colour-full rag-tag bag'.
I hope you like it.
Best wishes
Bill
Reply by Celeste, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am
Hey there I've had that happen a time or two. Kinda scared me at first.
seseme' seeds from Hamburger buns, Poppy seeds from caseroles, strawberry seeds,
watermelon seeds, tomatoe seeds, and okra seeds.
Let us know whent the doc gets through with his evaluation.
Celeste
Reply by zuccazi, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 am
need to give a stool sample for O&P.ova and parasites.daughter got worms after living in Italy for a summer.they are easy to get rid of and are more commen than you think.one fourth of the worlds population has worms,usually round worms.get checked.you"ll be ok.
Reply by aHappyGirl, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am
This is probably not you but I thought I would add this as a possibility for the benefit of others who may be on TPN:  

Sometimes I get what looks like ball-shaped liquid collections of white stuff 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a dime in my liquid output - when I eat very little.  I think this is from my TPN - the lipids or fat content.

I imagine these are present when I eat too, but are just not as visible.
Reply by turtlecreek1961, on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm
Hi Dental Guy

I have the same problem.  After a lot of tests and a second surgery, I found mine were dried paste that got into the bag.
Reply by MarkP, on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 pm
MEDICATIONS THAT DO NOT BREAK DOWN IN THE STOMACH

•DA: Delayed Absorption

•DR: Delayed Release

•EC: Enteric Coated

•ER: Enteric Release

•GC: Granules within Capsules

•SR: Slow Release

•SSR: Sustained Release

You might want to check your medications

MarkP

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.