Confused

In this discussion
Replies
Views
DH
I've been on this site for a couple of months and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. I have used both the forum and the blog on this site. What is the difference between blogging and writing in forum It seems that people write the same things in forum as they do on the blogging page. So why not put it in one category
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Author, I hope you find a better answer. This has come up previously and explained in various ways and I still don't get it. I will watch for new posts that describe how it works. I really don't understand. Hopefully, Carol
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
If you find out, post it, please. I am sure there are a lot of us in the dark about that.
Past Member
I would say that if your subject is not relevant to the Forum Topics, then it's a Blog?
Past Member
usually a forum is a place to discuss issues and fine answers to your questions. a blog is some ones story.story.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
bag_n_drag

I would agree with this assessment, gizmo.
gutenberg
What i have found is if I just felt the need to vent because of a really bad week or things are not going all that well, I will post my vent in a blog rather than perhaps in a forum where my nastiness will only make some feel worse than they already are, and I get surprised when I see some people have actually read my blog and commented on it, Ed

PS sometimes I will copy the blog and paste it in the forum, no rhym or reason that I camn think of.
Bill
Hello Gute,

I can often find a rhyme but sometimes it's hard to find a reason.

I use the blog because it allows me to edit my mistakes after I have posted.   I find it so frustrating to see all my typing and spelling errors and not be able to rectify them.  I have tried to download the spellchecker without success so I've now given up with that route.    The only consolation is that people on this site are good enough not to embarrass me by commenting on my mistakes.  

Best wishes  

Bill
bag_n_drag
For me, a forum is a place to ask specific, subject-related questions and post answers to same. An example would be "Ok. Just what CAN I eat after an ileostomy; folks!?"
A blog is a place where I would post personal experiences and stories that don't really fall into the forum category; such as "I had a most awesome day today (which I did by the way) because "Old Faithful" didn't go off too much and I was able to be outside and enjoy this glorious, cooler day."
YMMV
Xerxes
Personally, I think the only difference in here is the length of the text. In general, blogs are longer and contain more detail. They are really not true blogs as they generally appear in isolated form and are rarely repeated by the writer and those who answer. Also the theme is not ongoing. Again, that is only my take.
bob.hewson
Normally a blog is , as said earlier, is someone story, maybe just a one of story or an ongoing story as in a diary. People can make comments to these blogs but they were not designed to be used as a forum.

The situation is in reality that once someone blogs, by replying to others comments rather than people just commenting on the blog alone, it has in fact become a forum, that was a blog. Because of this situation the difference between a blog and a forum has become blurred and blogs are treated as forums.

There is no problem in this situation other than to be able to define exactly what a blog is in relation to a forum.

While a forum is about a specific statement, question or comment and people answer or make further comments to the forum the blog, while maybe starting as a persons story, become just the subject of discussion along with others comments on the subject, resulting in a forum being made from a blog.

Now this is just my understanding,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum

and these are Wiki's.

Bob
Past Member
I was kinda confused too, about the difference between blogging and posting in the forum.
I think it's kinda cleared up now

I have tried the general chat, but it moves so fast that by the time one gets to post their comment it has already passed by and I don't remember what was being responded to.

It, the general chat, does not seem to get much action though. My opinion.
valleyjohn
A blog is internet shorthand for 'web log', a running log of comments/messages on a topic.

Hope this helps.